SaltCritters.com

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

Working on shooting a video update. Should finish shooting when I get home tonight and will sit down and edit probably tomorrow. Should be up soon. Overall, the tank is looking MUCH better. Still has some detritus and algae but is no where near as bad.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, just wanted to share a quick video tour of my tank I threw together. I shot this with my Nikon p90 but didn't realize that it shoots pretty low quality video until after I had filmed all of my shots... <_< Oh well. Lesson learned, don't shoot with that again. lol I went ahead and edited the footage together anyway and decided to post it. So here it is:

As you can see the tank is still pretty dirty and I am still battling some algae but it has come a long way and it keeps getting better! Woohoo for progress!! :D

Here are some pictures of tank as well:

16774449484_c435c7517b_z.jpg

New super bright mushroom I picked up while visiting Gainesville. Got it really cheap and love it :)

Some top down shots:

17209183418_3643a4a3d2_z.jpg

17189514037_c6f3bbcbe5_z.jpg

And of course, an updated FTS May 6, 2015

16774447964_53ef96ceea_z.jpg

I am also planning on getting a nano box mini tide within the next 2 months or so and moving my Current USA Orbit to the majano (and possibly euphyllia) tank. Anyone that is running the nano box, care to share your opinions, experiences or favorite things about it? I would love to hear them.

Also, what do you think about trying to add either a yellow watchman goby? Is it too late for it to get along with my shrimp since he has been in there so long?

Here are some shots I took of my wrasse with my Nikon. I had the shutter speed at 1/250 and my ISO was at 400. I couldn't turn my shutter speed up any higher without compensating by raising my iso and when I did that I got quite a bit of noise. Although I feel as though these pictures still have a lot of noise as well.

Feedback is welcome:

17400151176_43300d732f_z.jpg

16803649624_231871c7df_z.jpg[/url]

17239928559_9cec9e7016_z.jpg

17424193122_79d0c437bf_z.jpg

I don;t know how to have a high enough shutter speed without having to raise the iso in order to keep it form being so dark.

Cencalfishguy56

Wow cswan bringing back the glory man! Love it haha

Here are some shots I took of my wrasse with my Nikon. I had the shutter speed at 1/250 and my ISO was at 400. I couldn't turn my shutter speed up any higher without compensating by raising my iso and when I did that I got quite a bit of noise. Although I feel as though these pictures still have a lot of noise as well.

Feedback is welcome:

17400151176_43300d732f_z.jpg

16803649624_231871c7df_z.jpg[/url]

17239928559_9cec9e7016_z.jpg

17424193122_79d0c437bf_z.jpg

I don;t know how to have a high enough shutter speed without having to raise the iso in order to keep it form being so dark.

That wrasse is killer probably the best one of seen tbh

Thanks cencalfishguy! I appreciate the kind words. My wrasse is awesome, he's super active and will eat right out my hand! Love the little dude

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks cencalfishguy! I appreciate the kind words. My wrasse is awesome, he's super active and will eat right out my hand! Love the little dude

That's awesome! I wanted to try a juvie malanarus wrasse in my next tank but by seeing your sixline and how he feeds I might just stick to this smaller breed and so colorful but no problem man!

Here are some pictures of tank as well:

16774449484_c435c7517b_z.jpg

New super bright mushroom I picked up while visiting Gainesville. Got it really cheap and love it :)

Some top down shots:

17209183418_3643a4a3d2_z.jpg

17189514037_c6f3bbcbe5_z.jpg

And of course, an updated FTS May 6, 2015

16774447964_53ef96ceea_z.jpg

I am also planning on getting a nano box mini tide within the next 2 months or so and moving my Current USA Orbit to the majano (and possibly euphyllia) tank. Anyone that is running the nano box, care to share your opinions, experiences or favorite things about it? I would love to hear them.

Also, what do you think about trying to add either a yellow watchman goby? Is it too late for it to get along with my shrimp since he has been in there so long?

Nice tank! I have a nano box mini over my Fluval Spec V and I like it. I think the color is very "clear" and looks great. The Bluefish controller is also very easy and intuative to use after you play with it for a while. I have to experiment with the position of the lamp some more, or even possibly rearrange some of my rock, but I can't seem to (1) cover the far reaches of the tank well (I think the 17.5" length is the limits of what the mini can cover) and (2) I can't seem to get rid of some of the shadows. I opted for the gooseneck clamp, and right now it's clamped on the long edge of the tank. Again, I don't think it's anything wrong with the the light at all since I really like it, but maybe the limitations of trying to cover a long tank with the mini, espcially if a tank is live rock-heavy like mine.

Cencalfishguy56

Nice tank! I have a nano box mini over my Fluval Spec V and I like it. I think the color is very "clear" and looks great. The Bluefish controller is also very easy and intuative to use after you play with it for a while. I have to experiment with the position of the lamp some more, or even possibly rearrange some of my rock, but I can't seem to (1) cover the far reaches of the tank well (I think the 17.5" length is the limits of what the mini can cover) and (2) I can't seem to get rid of some of the shadows. I opted for the gooseneck clamp, and right now it's clamped on the long edge of the tank. Again, I don't think it's anything wrong with the the light at all since I really like it, but maybe the limitations of trying to cover a long tank with the mini, espcially if a tank is live rock-heavy like mine.

Aesthetically it won't look good but you could just clamp it to the side and get the coverage

Aesthetically it won't look good but you could just clamp it to the side and get the coverage

I agree - I tried clamping it to the filter end and personally I didn't like the look of the light coming from the side at the time although I might try it again. For my specific tank, shadows were still a problem.

Cencalfishguy56

I agree - I tried clamping it to the filter end and personally I didn't like the look of the light coming from the side at the time although I might try it again. For my specific tank, shadows were still a problem.

Yea could just be your rock work I know when I had a lot of rock I had a hard time getting rid of the shadowing

I think that if I got a nano box I would be able to play with it enough to avoid too many shadows. Thanks for the tips though! :happy:

Also... just a bit of an update. I went to Orlando this weekend and on the way home stopped by a LFS called Living Reef. It was awesome! super clean setup and tons of tanks to look at with a bunch of amazing frags. I left with four different pieces and they are acclimating now. I will then dip them, pull them off of the plugs and then glue them down. updates to come... :)

17506787985_d28e8ca3d1_z.jpg

Can't wait to see those new additions.

None of my LFS have any Acan's lately.. as soon as I find a place with some I'm gonna buy like 5 or 6 haha... Glue them all down all over the place..

Woke up to no power this morning... I am not sure how long it has been out but I don't see anything in the tank that is dead. I currently have a battery operated air pump supplying oxygen to the tank. Same with my majano tank. Hopefully, the power goes back on soon. When the power goes back on i will post some pictures of the new additions.

17334234899_c58b3961e8_z.jpg

HarryPotter

Is it okay to put your hands in the tank? I got a bit more dry rock and I'd like to redo my aquascape or add to it. Will it be okay to put my hands in there to do it? Also I may pick up some putty/epoxy stuff to secure the rocks a bit more. Can I use this stuff in the water or do I have to take the rocks out to epoxy it? Thanks guys :)

I always put my hands in the tank, no problem. Just make sure if you were working with shock oil or cyanide (Hey I don't know what you do for a living :lol:) you wash your hands first. No experience with epoxy, sorry!

I always put my hands in the tank, no problem. Just make sure if you were working with shock oil or cyanide (Hey I don't know what you do for a living :lol:) you wash your hands first. No experience with epoxy, sorry!

Hahaha! I was so naive lol This was so long ago, what a noob :lol:

I have that fan!! But I use it by my bed. Super Powerful!

Yeah its pretty awesome! only $6 and keeps the tank nice and cool when needed. :happy:

HarryPotter

Hahaha! I was so naive lol This was so long ago, what a noob :lol:

LMAO WHOOPS- NO IM THE NOOB! Im a new member and didn't realize this thread has like 25 pages- so I tried to answer your original question on Page 1!

Anyway, looking good!

LMAO WHOOPS- NO IM THE NOOB! Im a new member and didn't realize this thread has like 25 pages- so I tried to answer your original question on Page 1!

Anyway, looking good!

Haha, no worries! I kinda figured that was the case. Regardless, thanks for answering my question, I always appreciate it when others try and help out :) Also... Welcome to NR!! :D

HarryPotter

Haha, no worries! I kinda figured that was the case. Regardless, thanks for answering my question, I always appreciate it when others try and help out :) Also... Welcome to NR!! :D

Thanks! Im really loving it!

The atmosphere IMO is really nice here, and I'm excited to be a part of it! I have been a long time reader (See my tank lol) but just recently (today) made an account

Power came back on a few hours ago. Everything in both my reef tank and majano tank are doing just fine. I am trying to post some pictures I took of the tank last night and this morning but I am having trouble with my flickr and I am unable to post them. Hopefully I can upload soon!

Update: May 11, 2015

Here are some pictures of the corals I picked up yesterday in Orlando.

Sweet 'shrooms:

17528741805_77a62035b0_z.jpg

17526778422_c158c04ebd_z.jpg

These pictures I took last night after having my hands in the tank for a while so these aren't fully opened up. Still I love the colors these have.

I also picked up an acan:

17340944388_35d5daf4dd_z.jpg

I picked up a cheap zoa frag too. Nothing special but it wasn't opened when I was taking pictures so I'll take a picture of it a little later on to share with everyone.

And here are some random pictures of my tank

Magician palys:

16906568864_00b096d335_z.jpg

Shrooms:

17528966111_2808e1c338_z.jpg

Still one of the brightest in the tank

17528826611_3d56f8491a_z.jpg

Blastos:

17341194058_3b23153297_z.jpg

17502598926_cf726f9426_z.jpg

Acans:

17526763742_aeb9ac8c39_z.jpg

16906434294_00ea326e9d_z.jpg

17341359098_00ac58d1c0_z.jpg

17339964288_73838fffa2_z.jpg

17341411709_7e9e12824e_z.jpg

I feel like I am starting to get the hang of the camera but I am definitely still learning. Here are some pictures of Loki my sixline wrasse. Any feedback or tips on the photos is appreciated.

17530253305_96d9481218_z.jpg

16909903863_01dbb1239f_z.jpg

17341617100_b624dbeeb9_z.jpg

And of course a FTS May 11, 2015

17503843786_01d68e32d8_z.jpg

Man your tank looks good! Haven't added any corals to my spec v yet but are you doing anything?

Thank you :) what do you mean by am I doing anything? lol

Your tank is looking great!

Thanks nanoclown!! Means alot :)

Also, I picked up a couple pieces of SPS yesterday. One is a setosa and one is an acropora. They were both free as I was talking to the guy at my LFS about trying out keeping some acros or SPS but I was afraid to. He gave me some apparently "hardy" frags to take home and try out in the tank. So hopefully they do well. I will post some pictures a bit later.

Archived