SaltCritters.com

Ruester's Reef Piece - New FTS

Ruester007

The Scoly in the previous post was given to me by my loving wife for my birthday in March. It has been doing well, eating and coloring up. My concern is that it never really inflates as it did at the LFS. How big of a concern is this? Thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just ordered the Hydor Smart Level ATO from MarineDepot. I've never used an ATO and have to now since the tank upgrade the evaporation rate has been ridiculous. It will be good to have an added level of stability.

I am in need of a protein skimmer and ATO. Which should I add next?

Reef controller if you have a skimmer and ATO. IMO - Apex is worth the money. But I have owned the RKL and will work too.

Reef controller if you have a skimmer and ATO. IMO - Apex is worth the money. But I have owned the RKL and will work too.

I just ordered my ATO. I went with the Hydor Smart level. I'll post pictures when it comes in and I get it set up.

New issue - I think my LFS has been skimping on their filter changes for the RO/DI water. the algae bloom the past two days has been ridiculous and the only thing that has changes has been a new lug of top off water. I might need to go ahead and purchase a filter system.

Ruester007

I have my new favorite fish....after a serious battle with zoa pox, I had lost all but a couple polyps. Well today my OSG picked up a small piece of rubble and spit it out in the front of the tank. The rubble has about 9 polyps on it! Thanks!

OSGandScarletHermit1_zps7f5da535.jpg

Ruester007

I just ordered my CAD light PLS-50. I can hardly wait to get it hooked up. Anything special I should worry about?

Ruester007

I finally had the time to set up my Hydor Smart Level from Marine Depot. It was super easy and seems to work well so far. I'll give it a week or so and see if my salinity fluctuates less. Fingers crossed.

richgoose

I'm really curious to see how the CAD lights skimmer works for you. Thanks for sharing all the pics.

Ruester007

I'm really curious to see how the CAD lights skimmer works for you. Thanks for sharing all the pics.

Me too! It shipped out yesterday so it should be here Friday....

Ruester007

The only issue that I have with the Hydor Smart level is that I have to turn off the system to do water changes. There really should be a temporary delay/water change setting. Other than that I would highly recommend this ATO. I'll keep everyone posted.

Ruester007

This has been my night so far:

Everything's cool feeding the Scoley.......

FeedingScoley_zps35fad4d3.jpg

Then......Son of a ........

DamselstealingFood_zpsccf5aa83.jpg

Start over.

On a positive note here are few non-reef pictures from the beach house this weekend.

CarolinaAnole4_zps148b2a8f.jpg

CarolinaAnole3_zpsae517fc4.jpg

CarolinaAnole1_zpsd24f6618.jpg

Ruester007

oh no! that had to have been pretty interesting to watch though...

Just a little frustrating. If the damsel isn't stealing food from the scoley then the peppermint shrimp is and that's after I feed them all first.

Ruester007

I thought I would do a photo comparison of one of my newer pieces. Is this a decent amount of growth for the type and time period? Any pointers are welcome. Is it "quality" growth?

Comparison_zps684249c1.jpg

Ruester007

My CAD lights pls-50 came in this afternoon. The packaging from Marine Depot was perfect, there was no way it was going to get damaged. The build quad of the skimmer is excellent. It took all of 10 minutes to get set up. It is super quit, and inside the sump cabinet I can't hear it at all. I will let it break in, then dial it in. I'll have some feedback on the skimmate quality once I start getting some.

kalireefer

I just ordered the Hydor Smart Level ATO from MarineDepot. I've never used an ATO and have to now since the tank upgrade the evaporation rate has been ridiculous. It will be good to have an added level of stability.

I have the hydor ATO on my 10 gallon and love it, even with my mp10 in short pulse mode it still provides accurate top off water. Something I could not provide with standard float setups while lacking a sump, giving me piece of mind while leaving the tank for extended time.

Ruester007

I have the hydor ATO on my 10 gallon and love it, even with my mp10 in short pulse mode it still provides accurate top off water. Something I could not provide with standard float setups while lacking a sump, giving me piece of mind while leaving the tank for extended time.

The only issue I had with mine was that the top off water was coming out too fast. I had to restrict the flow. Other than that, Rock Solid performance.

kalireefer

The only issue I had with mine was that the top off water was coming out too fast. I had to restrict the flow. Other than that, Rock Solid performance.

Ya, I did that with the first pump I had hooked up to it. Switched out that for a Toms aqua-lifter and it drizzles into the tank now

Ruester007

My PLS-50 came in Friday afternoon and was set-up around 6pm, so as of now it has been going for about 48 hours. I started to dial it in last night and it's been a rock star. Being in my sump the micro bubbles would not be an issue even if there were some. The skimate is a deep green. To be honest I was not expecting the skimmer to work this well this quickly. In the past I have used the AquaticLife 115 and the CPR HOB skimmer and neither was worth it for me. The PLS-50 will be my go to suggestion for anyone that asks. I'll post a picture of the collection cup later.

Ruester007

sweet.

I'll be placing my order soon :D

I'm sure you will enjoy it. The best price I found was at Marine Depot.

Archived