inTank Media Baskets

FS- Live Copepods!

keydiver

I want 500ml for my 12 gallon however do I need to worry about introducing ich/decease into my tank by adding this in directly? im paranoid after having an ich outbreak with my 2 clowns and treating them in a hypo QT for 2 months, im taking every preventive measure possible including inverts.

Hi there,

You do not need to worry about ich or other parasites from directly adding the culture to your tank. These cultures are very sterile and have been made out of only newly made saltwater and then seeded from a small starter culture of pods from Algaegen. The fact that no fish have ever been in contact with the system makes ich impossible, and similarly other parasites and organisms that might affect coral/fish health since they've never been in contact with anything aside from phytoplankton and sterile saltwater.

Can you put me down for 1/2 liter?

most definitely. Whenever you're ready just shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there,

You do not need to worry about ich or other parasites from directly adding the culture to your tank. These cultures are very sterile and have been made out of only newly made saltwater and then seeded from a small starter culture of pods from Algaegen. The fact that no fish have ever been in contact with the system makes ich impossible, and similarly other parasites and organisms that might affect coral/fish health since they've never been in contact with anything aside from phytoplankton and sterile saltwater.

most definitely. Whenever you're ready just shoot me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Sounds great. Sent you a PM.

PM Sent

I would suggest using half the bottle to seed and half the bottle to start a culture. Mass production takes some time and live phyto, but you can also culture pods very easily in a 2L soda bottle simply by throwing some flake food in there every week or so. Just so you have a backup supply of pods in case the mandarin starts to get hungry

Would I need to aerate the culture at all? Also sorry for the dumb question but how do I get them out of the bottle you ship them in and into my system safely?

PM Sent

Would I need to aerate the culture at all? Also sorry for the dumb question but how do I get them out of the bottle you ship them in and into my system safely?

If you're doing a simple 2L bottle setup, you wouldn't need aeration, just leave the cap of and oxygen exchange will be enough for the culture. As far as getting the culture into the system you can either dump the whole bottle in there (Which is also full of live phyto so that will benefit your corals/filter feeders as well), or you can strain them through a fine mesh if you don't feel comfortable putting that much culture water into your system, which in my experience has no negative effects and may even benefit your tank.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question, should I be able to see these guys? How big are they? I got my order a while ago and it looked like just any empty bottle to me and my wife. The only reason I ask is that Got2Envy's comment leads me to believe I should be able to see them.

Question, should I be able to see these guys? How big are they? I got my order a while ago and it looked like just any empty bottle to me and my wife. The only reason I ask is that Got2Envy's comment leads me to believe I should be able to see them.

Pods are usually tiny, if you dumped them into your tank look very very closely at the glass, you should be able to see tiny specks running around.

I wondered the same thing when I got my bottle, but went ahead and dumped it in the tank. My firefish went insane and pigged out! I couldnt see what he was eating, but clearly, he could. I figured he ate all the pods that night, sighed that I gave him such a fancy expensive dinner and went about my business. Fast forward about 6 weeks........the tank is crazy full of pods. I can stare at the rocks and see hundreds of em skittering about. They are still tiny, yes, but they get bigger by the day, and they are everywhere!

I am super impressed. Will be getting ready to place my next order for my new fuge on my big tank. :-)

jedimasterben

You can see them, but they're very, very small - these are around 1/4mm in length and are basically clear, so without magnification you probably won't be able to see them.

Hey everybody. I'm glad the pods are doing so well for you all! For those looking to get some, I should have a mature culture available in 2-3 weeks. The move back up to UF has me scattered and I just recently got my cultures back in action.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. My culture is looking pretty good at this point, and it should be ready next week (Not this Monday but next will be when I'l start shipping). For anyone interested feel free to shoot me a PM or post here with any questions and I'd be happy to help you out.

Tim, sign me up for another shipment. Thanks.

Please add me to the list! I'll take a liter. :)

Hey folks, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my paypal info. You can pay any time you'd like and I'll get them out next Monday for ya

Do you think these will thrive directly in a tank with live rock? I'd like to add a Mandarin at some point but I'm hoping to have an established pod population first.

I should add I already have a clown, a dottyback, a cleaner shrimp and a few emerald crabs. Not sure if they'll wipe out them out before I get the mandarin.

Do you think these will thrive directly in a tank with live rock? I'd like to add a Mandarin at some point but I'm hoping to have an established pod population first.

I should add I already have a clown, a dottyback, a cleaner shrimp and a few emerald crabs. Not sure if they'll wipe out them out before I get the mandarin.

These guys are very prolific breeders and should have no problem setting up a breeding population directly in live rock. Mandarins will readily eat them, as will the dottyback but to a lesser extent. Now I can't say for sure whether or not the tank will support enough pods for a mandarin since it's totally dependent on the size of the tank and the amount of live rock, but they are one of the quickest if not the quickest breeders as far as pods go.

Yeah what the hell - shoot me your paypal info and I'll grab some.

I'll send it over now

Archived