Innovative Marine Aquariums

Radion Vs NanoBox

SbCaes

Ive come into a weird situation I have access to a Radion G3 for the same price as a NanoBox and the BlueFish controller . What are the pros and cons of going either way? thoughts?

well i dont really care about (more) leds just the spectrum they emit. (wavelengths) whats the difference in diodes used? ( the emitters)

• Cool White: 8 Cree XT-E (40W)
• Deep Blue: 6 Osram Oslon Square (24W)
• Blue: 8 Cree XP-E (24W)
Green: 4 Cree XP-E Green (14W)
Hyper Red: 4 Osram Oslon SSL (12W)
Indigo: 4 SemiLEDs (10W)
UV: 4 SemiLEDs (10W)

Those are on the Radion. Does anyone know what NanoBox uses for emitters?

VS.

I only can pull these off the NB website.

Philips Rebel ES and SEMILED LED's. Ranging from warm white, neutral white, royal blue, blue, cyan and violet

The one thing i can see going for the NB is the SIZE. or lack thereof. which is awesome. but i wanna make an informed decision on these leds.

I would get the Radion since you can get it for such a cheap price. I have a Radion pro over my tank and I love it. Great color blending. No disco ball on the bottom of my tank.

Radion offers greater flexibility with more led channels.

Nanobox + Bluefish offers mobile controlled lighting with the option to expand the bluefish into a complete aquarium controller as soon as genix gets all that stuff done.

The nanobox leds might not offer as much controlability but they offer a better set of leds opting in warm whites and cyan in favor of red and green and neutral whites instead of cool whites.

Nanobox Led Specifics are as follows

Channel 1: 2 Rebel ES Warm White, 2 Rebel ES Neutral White, 1 Cyan, 2 SemiLeds Violets

Channel 2: 4 Rebel ES Royal blue, 2 Rebel ES Cool Blue

I have seen both fixtures in action. Nanobox wins hands down for me. Radions are good but just aren't up to par.

Paleoreef103

Radions are good but just aren't up to par.

yeaaaacsimiami_zps20c943f8.jpg

No, but seriously, the biggest difference between the nanobox and the radion is the white LEDs. Nanoboxes Philips ES Warm and Neutral whites are leaps and bounds above the Cool White Cree XT-Es in the Radion in terms of being able to bring out colors. Radions do have the addition of deep reds, but it seems like most people prefer the look of warm whites+neutral whites to deep red+cool whites for bringing out warmer colors.

yeaaaacsimiami_zps20c943f8.jpg

No, but seriously, the biggest difference between the nanobox and the radion is the white LEDs. Nanoboxes Philips ES Warm and Neutral whites are leaps and bounds above the Cool White Cree XT-Es in the Radion in terms of being able to bring out colors. Radions do have the addition of deep reds, but it seems like most people prefer the look of warm whites+neutral whites to deep red+cool whites for bringing out warmer colors.

The G3 radions actually use teh XP-G2 familly over the XT-E

Get the nanobox, imo. You can get the nanobox and bluefish, allowing optimal control, plus you can customize your housing from Nanobox.

The radion IS a nice light, though. However, I'm partial to the NanoBox lights.

Paleoreef103

The G3 radions actually use teh XP-G2 familly over the XT-E

Small intensity gains, same subpar color rendition. You are correct though.

The nanobox, you get to support a small business and forum sponsor. I will let others say what they feel like the radion/ecotech is supporting.

Has radion fixed the issue where you have to hook your light up to a computer to set it? That plus it only has a 24 x 24 spread, had me pass on it. I have a 3 foot tank and I don't feel like buying 2.

I got a nanobox instead, it's crazy customizable. While I don't have it yet, it seems like a top notch product. Dave has been great about answering all my questions and helping me figure out which light would work best for my set up.

Thanks for the support guys. I think like I said both units are amazing, however these lights are in two different categories. My Nano Mini line is designed FOR nano/pico tanks. The small size, looks, and colors are made just for it.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Thanks for the support guys. I think like I said both units are amazing, however these lights are in two different categories. My Nano Mini line is designed FOR nano/pico tanks. The small size, looks, and colors are made just for it.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

well said.

overall i just like to be able to get what I want in a product that cost what to me is a decent amount of money.

Pretty much settles it. Ben is a master of all things LED!!

I think that's technically Clive's position since he's led gawd.

okay, last question. im actually pretty well versed in led spectrums. how do we deal with warm whites putting out some junk spectrum, vs the red adn green used to simulate white with Blue? ( RGB ) vs Blue+ White? * playing devils advocate here since the board has made up my mind.

okay, last question. im actually pretty well versed in led spectrums. how do we deal with warm whites putting out some junk spectrum, vs the red adn green used to simulate white with Blue? ( RGB ) vs Blue+ White? * playing devils advocate here since the board has made up my mind.

If you want to see what the radion g3 looks like in person, just stop on by my place man.

I really like the look of the nanobox lights and they are definitely quality lights. I have continued with my radion only because I am used to how it works and the fact that I have been using it before nanobox was a twinkle in Dave's eye.

Nanofreak79

You guys and your warm white, neutral white is better......blah blah blah. You can get a 36" spread with there 120* lenses, so that's a non issue, saying it only covers 24". The controllability and comparability with the mo10's is great. The color it produces is a personal opinion and so is the NanoBox. Really there in a separate category, IMO anyway.

I sold my radion and my NanoBox to go back to T5's. So no hatin, I've used both before.

I like both NanoBox and Radions. Deciding on LEDs is the hardest part of it all! Good luck :)

You guys and your warm white, neutral white is better......blah blah blah. You can get a 36" spread with there 120* lenses, so that's a non issue, saying it only covers 24". The controllability and comparability with the mo10's is great. The color it produces is a personal opinion and so is the NanoBox. Really there in a separate category, IMO anyway. I sold my radion and my NanoBox to go back to T5's. So no hatin, I've used both before.I like both NanoBox and Radions. Deciding on LEDs is the hardest part of it all! Good luck :)

if you catch the led bug put some in that sexy ati fixture you got. :P

Archived