Innovative Marine Aquariums

North Ga Hillbilly's Bare Bottom 20G (Ramping up for an upgrade)

NorthGaHillbilly

I've got this precision marine on right now. It works well enough, but a reef octopus fell in my lap, so I've got an upgrade, just not sure if it'll fit under this stand

I've had that happen. That skimmate doesn't wash out very easily. :D

My reef octopus is a beast, I really like it but I need to lift it higher to avoid filling the cup every day ... and even then it's a good brown muck.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

I've had that happen. That skimmate doesn't wash out very easily. :D

My reef octopus is a beast, I really like it but I need to lift it higher to avoid filling the cup every day ... and even then it's a good brown muck.

I spilled my collection cup the other day, big ol stain on the concrete floor :(

The skimmer is a 150 ext, reading up trying to figure out the best way to use it, as I've only delt with internal only skimmers

NorthGaHillbilly

I've been working my ass off, but the tanks gone through some struggles as of late, but overall things are good.

LPS:

I had some sort of brown jelly like disease strike, I ended up tossing two lobos that were suspect, lost the blue and yellow trachy, which I really hate, it was one of my favorites. I noticed the trachy looking weird when I got home from being gone for a few days, I let it be for a few days, but then saw it getting worse, I dipped every brain like coral, and everything is good but that trachy bit the dust, and two lobos didnt make the cut to stay.

SPS:

Im not sure what my deal is, the montis and birdsnest look great, including a few new additions, but one acro is looking pretty rough, and the other has red bugs, which I hope I got rid of via bayer. I got a large healthy and FREE frag to add into the mix to see if ive just got one bad apple, or if I've got some sort of issue.

PH, Alk and Ca are rock solid, so I got to thinking and I think my phosphates might be higher than they should be. I have a hanna meter coming from a buddy, but I took and added some phosban, at its lowest recommended amount, untill then just to see. I dont have the colors I should have from a few things, not including the SPS, so Im hoping I might have diagnosed the issue.

Now... For the GOOD news

Two chalice frags that totally bleached have come back 100%, I've got noticeable growth and I got a few more encrusting montis to replace what I lost a few months back. These are much better looking pieces than what I had, aside from the old superman I had.

I'm ramping up for the tank upgrade, it will still probably be a month, but I'm getting things together. I got the skimmer fixed, it runs like champ. I plan to get a jebao DC return pump and run a manifold to the return and the skimmer.

I have a MP-10 in my possession, but call me crazy, but I rather my WP10, with the MP I had to run it HIGH in order to sweep up the bottom of the tank like I want it, and then it was blasting things right in front of it... Ya never know till you try

I also found a coralvue 20K bulb for $20 at the LFS, Im really digging it, not really more "blue" than what I had, but the reds show much better. You can see this in the pictures, same camera settings, no editing, same lighting in the room.

Frag rack (I need more space)

14870550237_4c2ecaf6f4_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Couple of frag rack close ups

15056757532_bb93d4b25b_c.jpgDSC_0286 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14870571027_184cca11d5_c.jpgDSC_0285 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

15034108516_5939e2768d_c.jpgDSC_0273 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14870528628_81ba079eeb_c.jpgDSC_0272 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

(The red chalice was one of the ghost chalices)

14870387209_2d530e3f27_c.jpgDSC_0271 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NorthGaHillbilly

I took the cash from selling the MP10, made alittle on it, and "reinvested" in a new coral, really looking forward getting some pictures of it layed out with the MH on.

Here it is right when I put it in, the colors on it pick up really well on this nikon

https://flic.kr/p/oZgeXr'>15087862795_4f9f70d391_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oZgeXr'>DSC_0294 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Here it is after a few hours

https://flic.kr/p/oGLsSn'>14901184049_3b78f2579e_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oGLsSn'>DSC_0326 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Im really smitten with it, got it for FAR less than what I've seen online, and also got a good local source for cool LPS, he had no less than 8 meat corals in the store today.

Oh man this is looking better and better each time I come in here! Love your frag rack too.. when I eventually upgrade to perhaps a 20 I'd love to have just a small one to have some stuff growing on :)

I took the cash from selling the MP10, made alittle on it, and "reinvested" in a new coral, really looking forward getting some pictures of it layed out with the MH on. Here it is right when I put it in, the colors on it pick up really well on this nikonhttps://flic.kr/p/oZgeXr'>15087862795_4f9f70d391_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oZgeXr'>DSC_0294 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr Here it is after a few hourshttps://flic.kr/p/oGLsSn'>14901184049_3b78f2579e_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/oGLsSn'>DSC_0326 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr Im really smitten with it, got it for FAR less than what I've seen online, and also got a good local source for cool LPS, he had no less than 8 meat corals in the store today.
that meat :wub:

Oh man this is looking better and better each time I come in here! Love your frag rack too.. when I eventually upgrade to perhaps a 20 I'd love to have just a small one to have some stuff growing on :)
I hear you i love this tank. This is how I feel looking at all those colors hypnotised-3320.gif
NorthGaHillbilly

Ive been checking in on yours too man, I hate it about the clown, but things look like they are looking up. If you notice I dont have a single acan in the tank, I had two frags and they NEVER looked plump and full like yours, so I gave up on em and gave the two I had to a friend.

that meat :wub:

I hear you i love this tank. This is how I feel looking at all those colors hypnotised-3320.gif

On its best day my tank looks like a weak shroom hit, those pics you just put up make me feel like I just ate the whole damn bag!

NorthGaHillbilly

What fish do you have?

one lonely yellow clown goby, Ive kicked around the idea of adding a 6 line if these ambipods get any bigger, they look like the cockroach from Men In Black

one lonely yellow clown goby, Ive kicked around the idea of adding a 6 line if these ambipods get any bigger, they look like the cockroach from Men In Black
When is the upgrade tank coming?
NorthGaHillbilly

Order is getting put in next week, im looking at probably a month after the tank is in hand untill its completely switched over. I think im going to go with a jebao DC return pump and use the sicce to run the big skimmer. Sump is being made out of an identical tank to my current display, I have several from an old LFS closing. So its mainly just a matter of building a stand and getting another WP-10. But if I dont make Bree her baking cart before the tank stand Im going to be talking in a higher octave. :blink:

NorthGaHillbilly

SUCCESS!!! I managed to cram enough into the tank that...

"Its getting alittle cramped in there"

"Yea, Im going to let it grow for now"

"Maybe you should get a bigger tank"

:o

I had a coral filled weekend, got a few sps frags, Ive been having 90% positive results with them, but one that just wont look good. I got a few more to have a larger "sample size", or thats what I tell myself. Im getting good PE most of the time, and noticeable growth and encrusting, so thats a positive sign.

I messed around with the camera and Im getting there

Only been in the tank for 30 min, but showing some polyps

14986667718_9f92293753_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Great growth and a green ring on this guy

15150217416_e76954ba03_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Getting better color and some encrusting on the acro

15172870122_0abe232c85_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

BOP is getting better color

15172869512_5b9d1b76b3_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Gorgonia, never would have though to get one, but got it in a trade and really like it

14986507909_6b2d65f4a0_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Colors coming on, its completely healed from the red bugs and theres some blue coming out on the tips

14986655048_2caf4050fa_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Check out the purple rim on the red chalice

15170230271_eb4eeefd7e_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

This guy is getting more varied colors, the blue has several shades now

14986576130_60f4e21271_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Just being fat

14986659458_349fc8b668_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Im at war with these hydroids, using super glue to cover them and it seems to be working, but I didnt realize how bad some rocks were, itll take a while to get them wiped out, but its coming along.

Stunnin pictures and corals as always buddy. I like that mummy eye looks different than the normal ones. I also have some hydroids just a tiny clump I need to get rid off. You just squirt and smear it on?

NorthGaHillbilly

Stunnin pictures and corals as always buddy. I like that mummy eye looks different than the normal ones. I also have some hydroids just a tiny clump I need to get rid off. You just squirt and smear it on?

Thanks man, I was looking at some pics of flaming Bugattis, man that thing is going to be unreal when it grows out. Mummy eye, that's what it is, keep calling it something else. all of mine are in relatively high light, likely accounts for the difference.

Ive got hundreds, between those and green polyps I have my hands full. I pull the rock out if I can, squirt some on it and then smear it around. Im going to cut back on feedings some and between that and attacking them I hope to get rid of them. With them only growing with light and flow its a pain as there very obvious, but also there easy to find unlike some pests. You can see the white smears real well in the pic with the birdsnest.

Tank looks stunning sir. Very well done. The chalice has nice nice contrasting trim.

Thanks friend, havent seen you on in a while. Hows life?

[

No prob man,eh life's ok I suppose. Tank is having issues,and my fiance and I broke up so haven't been on much,busy trying to figure out what the next step is. But enough of my business,how you doing sir? How's the wife?

[Thanks friend, havent seen you on in a while. Hows life?
No prob man,eh life's ok I suppose. Tank is having issues,and my fiance and I broke up so haven't been on much,busy trying to figure out what the next step is. But enough of my business,how you doing sir? How's the wife?Sorry to hear that man. I know you haven't been on for awhile. Hope things turn around for you soon.

Thanks man, I was looking at some pics of flaming Bugattis, man that thing is going to be unreal when it grows out. Mummy eye, that's what it is, keep calling it something else. all of mine are in relatively high light, likely accounts for the difference.Ive got hundreds, between those and green polyps I have my hands full. I pull the rock out if I can, squirt some on it and then smear it around. Im going to cut back on feedings some and between that and attacking them I hope to get rid of them. With them only growing with light and flow its a pain as there very obvious, but also there easy to find unlike some pests. You can see the white smears real well in the pic with the birdsnest. Thanks friend, havent seen you on in a while. Hows life?
Look at this gem. 2300 dollars :wacko:http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/bsa-corals/171962-one-kind-rainbow-acanthophyllia-sale.html
NorthGaHillbilly

[

No prob man,eh life's ok I suppose. Tank is having issues,and my fiance and I broke up so haven't been on much,busy trying to figure out what the next step is. But enough of my business,how you doing sir? How's the wife?

Damn man, I hate to hear that. I know thats got to be tough, but at the same time hopefully you can focus on YOU for a while, and perhaps shell be able to reassess and help herself some at the same time.

Shes doing good, were watching cut throat kitchen, Alton Brown is such a dick.

Yea things will hopefully turn around soon,then again I've been working on it turning around 30 years now so I'm not holding my breath haha.

Damn man, I hate to hear that. I know thats got to be tough, but at the same time hopefully you can focus on YOU for a while, and perhaps shell be able to reassess and help herself some at the same time. Shes doing good, were watching cut throat kitchen, Alton Brown is such a dick.
She's actually better and more stable now it just went on for so long it just kinda killed the relationship,story of my life I help the person out and they get better,I however come out worse every time hahaha.
NorthGaHillbilly

Ive drooled over that thing for a long while, surprised hes selling it. Can someone get insurance on a coral LOL

Yea things will hopefully turn around soon,then again I've been working on it turning around 30 years now so I'm not holding my breath haha.

She's actually better and more stable now it just went on for so long it just kinda killed the relationship,story of my life I help the person out and they get better,I however come out worse every time hahaha.

Disclaimer: I'm not a life coach, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night

Its hard to change relationship dynamics once they get set, in my experience. From your choice of job man its obvious you have a huge drive to help people, which is awesome, but sometimes youve got to take care of yourself.

Ive drooled over that thing for a long while, surprised hes selling it. Can someone get insurance on a coral LOL

Disclaimer: I'm not a life coach, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night

Its hard to change relationship dynamics once they get set, in my experience. From your choice of job man its obvious you have a huge drive to help people, which is awesome, but sometimes youve got to take care of yourself.

Truth.

Archived