Cultivated Reef

Chaz's dive back in, New Kessil 360w's!

chazde3

That scape is sweet! I dig the centered two sided viewing, lots of placement options for coral.

Thanks! I almost want to build it just slightly higher on the sides and lower in the center to create more of a valley. That would give plenty of room for plating montis and tabling acros to grow in down the sides of the valley. My big issue with that is the center is mostly one gigantic ~40ish pound rock. The thing is just huge and beautiful. Gotta think about what to do.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats sweet, like having 2 tanks in one spot! :)

Yeah pretty much. I think the scape will allow for plenty of tabling acros and montis to look great when they grow in. I'm getting excited to get some sticks in there
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's some updated shots of the tank and coral. Cycle was nice and quick because of using cured liverock from when I tore the previous owners setup down and having my buddy store the rock in his system. I added some nice big chick's of corals from other teardowns in the area. I plan on taking out some of the rock when I get my frag system up to use as biological filtration in that system and to free up some swimming room.

Fts

20140501_175244.jpg

Bts

20140501_175355.jpg

30 heads of green tipped hammer

20140428_211003.jpg

Fist sized war coral

20140501_175310.jpg

I forget what coral this is

20140501_175316.jpg

Nice size bonsai coral

20140501_175406.jpg

4 heads of frogspawn

20140501_175410.jpg

Fist sized green and purple favia

20140501_175421.jpg

Colony of purple tipped hammer

20140501_175430.jpg

Tanks lookin good man :)

Thanks dude. I've had a couple mishaps that I would have avoided back in the day but I'm getting back into the reef keeping mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a pretty good day at the Plymouth swap. Picked up a few nice pieces for the tanks while out there and 2 Kessil 360w's for this tank. I'm already in love with these lights. I need to pick up the cord to connect to my apex and I will be all set.

Fts

20140510_214938.jpg

Bluer fts

20140510_214613.jpg

New rbta

20140510_214641.jpg

New sps piece I really liked

20140510_214927.jpg

Lovely tank! Impressive scaping for such a tall and skinny tank! If I had Kawhi Leonard arms (87 inch wingspan!) I'd have a deeper tank!

Lovely tank! Impressive scaping for such a tall and skinny tank! If I had Kawhi Leonard arms (87 inch wingspan!) I'd have a deeper tank!

Haha I've got fairly stubby arms so racing the bottom is quite the chore. I'm pretty much shoulder deep in the water off I drop a frag. I'm planning on taking a little bit of the rock out once my frag tank gets setup.

Freaking awesome! I love how you took the time to refinish the stand and clean up and drill the tank. Loving the double sided viewing as well. With all that lighting, do you even have to turn in the house lights,lol. Are you going to build a canopy for the lights? I bet the glow from outside the house is crazy. Might want to let your neighbors know that you have fish tanks and nit a grow house. Lol. Awesome build man

Freaking awesome! I love how you took the time to refinish the stand and clean up and drill the tank. Loving the double sided viewing as well. With all that lighting, do you even have to turn in the house lights,lol. Are you going to build a canopy for the lights? I bet the glow from outside the house is crazy. Might want to let your neighbors know that you have fish tanks and nit a grow house. Lol. Awesome build man

Haha thanks! I really wish I had bought a new tank instead of the used one. It's got quite a bit of scratches which bugs me. I'm probably gonna wait a couple years and either replace the tank or upgrade. Yeah I never really need to turn the living room lights on unless I'm going something that takes effort to see. My neighbors know about the fish tanks and how crazy about them I am. I had the last of my new furniture delivered today and the guy kept complimenting the tank.

Made some mesh tops for the tank so I don't lose anymore fish and keep the suicidal snails in the tank lol.

20140515_172819.jpg

Made some mesh tops for the tank so I don't lose anymore fish and keep the suicidal snails in the tank lol. 20140515_172819.jpg

What size mesh is that, those holes look awfully big.... 1/2" doesn't keep wrasses in, you can check my thread for expensive proof (I think on like pg. 4 or 5).

Archived