Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How to prevent condensate on glass tops?

chaostactics

chaostactics

I've got a glass top on my IM 30 tank because I have humidity issues in my basement.
Is there anyway to prevent the condensate build up? Defogger or something?
I'm worried about the variability it inflicts on the PAR in my tank.

I wouldn't worry much about the variability the condensation is inflicting on your lighting intensity. It would be negligible at best.

Mesh top would not solve humidity issues people. :)

I use glass tops. Little par loss due to condensation, but over a month crud will build up so plan to remove and wipe down monthly. I measured a 4 par drop with clean, but not spotless, glass.

Mesh top would not solve humidity issues people.

That was my first reaction too. While no top or a mesh top will not accumulate condensation, you will still have a humidity issue. In fact, you will add to it. A dehumidifier might be a better solution for your home.

Superhydrophobic spray? It would be interesting to try for a glass/acrylic top.

The stuff that repels all liquids? Apparently it isn't clear from what I am told but hazy when sprayed on a clear surface.

(no idea what happened to my last reply)

Probably too much evap. I have the same problem, I just like running an open top.

Evap is part of the game and why an ATO is so key, I am not a fan of glass tops so close to the waters surface.

Pinner Reef

A fan blowing across the surface of the glass will prevent condensation on both sides. This is a common tactic used on terrariums.

Superhydrophobic spray? It would be interesting to try for a glass/acrylic top.

They sell that stuff now that you can spray on boots or whatever to make materials fully hydrophobic. Would be a cool experiment at least.

Humidity issue in the basement. . .so you don't want to add to the humidity in the basement with an open top? Or are you worried about effects high humidity will have on your tank?

Any basement with finished walls should run dehumidifiers if you live in a humid area to prevent molds. House> tank. Keep the glass, wipe down as part of maintenance and run dehumidifiers.

Or run mesh with duhumififiers and keep an ato full.

They sell that stuff now that you can spray on boots or whatever to make materials fully hydrophobic. Would be a cool experiment at least.

Someone should do a test to see how much par it would block or if the UV would deteriorate it.

chaostactics

Humidity issue in the basement. . .so you don't want to add to the humidity in the basement with an open top? Or are you worried about effects high humidity will have on your tank?

Should have been more clear the glass is in place to reduce humidity in the basement.

It's only 20 or so gallons. You should have a dehumidifier anyway. You're getting way more humidity from just being underground.

chaostactics

The prevailing theories are that the condensation will cause minimal par loss. So I'll leave it well enough alone

Sounds like someone has a humidity problem in their basement.

Yep that's the case

RustyRocket

I did this, you can buy it at any UGG's store or online. I just used my gf's, those boots are part of college girls uniform if you know what i mean.

I covered a small square in the corner of the glass lid with masking tape, about 1cm by 1cm, and sprayed the entire glass. I removed the corner patch and put the lid on my pico, I stuck a small bit of plastic on the part that holds the glass lid opposite side of the "unsprayed" corner. This is to rise the lid by like 3 or 4 degrees so that any droplets that form would roll off into a corner.

My concern was what if this stuff gets picked up from the condensation and fall into the tank, then I slapped myself and called myself an idiot since its hydrophobic it wouldnt mix with the water. I had it when I was in college for about 2 years, tank was perfectly fine.

I did it just so I can see through down in the tank better, and for sh!ts and giggles thats all.

Islandoftiki

For what it's worth, we run a dehumidifier in our basement which would be damp and musty without it. It's extremely effective. It's so effective that I've given up having a tank in the basement without an ATO because the evaporation is too much every day to prevent big salinity swings. You might consider running a dehumidifier for the moisture issue.

Archived