ReefCleaners.org

Need Lights??....Check these out first!!

lgreen

I might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but does the Satellite series have an acrylic lens cover? Also, the people that are using the 2 X 40 watt models, can you list the animals you're keeping under them. I'd like to upgrade a 12 gallon tank with a Satellite fixture but am not sure which model would be best.

tanked:

i have the 2x40 satalite, yes it does have an acrylic lens cover.

in mine i have everything in my signature, plus a brain coral and a candycane/trumpet coral. I am planning on adding a clam in a few weeks. This is on a 12 gallon tank.

Sweet! Thanks lgreen. I assume you're using the Remora to prevent an algae explosion then? What kind of clam are you adding and does the 2X40 have a built in fan? Can you tell me how many pounds of live rock you have in the 12G?

actually i just run the remora for about 12 hours a day. i don't necesarily use it for algae control, more of just a way to remove junk that could potentially turn to nitrates. i still usually get a film of brown or green algae accross the glass once a week.

i have actually only had the skimmer on there for about 3 weeks, it had been running for a while with out one and did fine.

i am going to add a maxima clam. yes the 2x40 does have a fan, and one moonlight.

i have probably somewhere around 15 lbs of live rock.

I am doing research for my first 10 gallon nano and am looking into lights. Does anyone know how the 2x40 Orbit / Satellite compares to the Coralife 96W lights? They are roughly in the same price range and look comparable...

lgreen, what is the width of your light fixture? I Have the 20" 1x40w Satalite fixture and it's about 5.5 inches wide, is it the same with the 2x40w??

I have the 2x40w satellite, and it is pretty sweet. There is a built in fan, moonlight and 2 dual color bulbs which are each on a seperate plug. A nice touch for all you into automation, a pain because you need a whole power strip just to use the light, both the fan and lights are on wallwarts. While it does have 2 switches on the unit for the 2 pc lights, there are no mounted switches for the fan or moonlight, so you have to plug/unplug or use timers (which eat up even more precious outlet real estate).

I have found the fan to be kind of loud, but it looks like a standard 12v 60mm fan, and I'm sure I could find one that outputs more cfm with less dBa than the stock one on www.svc.com. Also the moonlight is very 'white' to me. Its definately not based on a 460nm blue LED like most of the DIY ones or the Coralife moonlights.

Like a Nano-cube, i think these things just scream 'MOD ME!" :)

Btw, I paid ~$95 at a lfs for mine. (my LFS happens to be ThatPetPlace though)

one small beef with this unit, like a lot of commerical units with build in moonlights, the moonlight is mounted in the back of the light. It would illuminate the tank much nicer if it was front bevel mounted. Backlighting a tank just doesnt make much sense, and you'd think the R&D departments would have figured this out long ago.

the 20 inch 2x40 is just an inch or two deeper than the 1x40.

imo current is much better than coralife, since current offers dual specturm white, and dual spectrum atinic bulbs, plus a moonlight.

Archived