Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need Lights??....Check these out first!!

lgreen

A fairly new company, Current USA, has put out an impressive new line of lights that could be appealing to both nano and macro reefers.

There are four main models. The Orbit series which is available in single or dual light strips, and the Satallite series which is available in single or dual light strips. The major difference between the two series is how the body of the strip looks.

These lights are great because they are packed full of watts, have a fan, independent plugs for each light, lunar lights, and come with the bulbs at a reasonable price.

The cheapest place to buy these seems to be Marine Depot (the cheapest place to buy anything usually) or Big als Online.

http://www.marinedepot.com

http://www.bigalsonline.com

They are available from 20" (finally a cool light for a 10g!!), 24", 30", 36", 48", 60" and 72" ranging from around $50.00 to $697.00.

Here is a pic of the orbit series:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...1875&pcid1=1843

Here is a pic of the satallite series:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/produc...1875&pcid1=1843

I ordered the 20" dual 40 wt (80 watt total) satallite series for my nano today for my 12g (former eclipse) nano.

If you look in the lighting accessories pages on marine depot or big als, they also have mounting legs for the satallite series ( I am pretty sure the orbit series come with them already)

I have an Orbit 80w on my 10g. It is great The bulbs are dual spectrum. The daylight has one half 6700k(?) and half 10000k. The blue has one half 410nm and half 460nm (I think). My tank looks really good with the light and the moon light works shines great too!! I have had it for about 4 months and no problems. Great light.

yep, i havent seen anywhere to purchase the 12" satallite yet though. (there not on marine depot, big als, or live aquaria)

Does the CLS have a cool casing like the Current USA brand? Also does it have a fan? Current USA is just a few dollars more, yours was probably cheaper since cls is out of biz and retailers are scrambling to get rid of there stuff. Where did you get it at? Is there a web site? I'd be interested to see if it is exactly the same.

Sorry lgreen I guess I hijacked your thread.

They are exactly the same with the exception that the legs are not adjustable as they are with the Current Orbit model. I got it from Champion Lighting.

The guy that designed the CSL lights got screwed over so he quit formed Current. Lights are nearly identical in most respects.

holyherbiness

What's better, a dual satellite 20" 2x40 watt (80 watt) or an 20" orbit (80 watt)?

The orbit costs about 20 dollars more, but I don't see much difference between them besides looks.

that is the only difference. the satallite may be slightly deeper and the orbit may be slightly taller.

they just charge more for the orbit since they have to bend that metal into a half circle

cilantro72

Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences between the sattelite series and the orbit series?

In particular:

-will the gas exchange be better with the orbit since it is up off the tank?

-will the evaporation problem be reduced with the satellite since it is closer to the tank?

-will heat be an issue with the satellite since it is close to the tank?

Or, are all of these moot issues and the satellite is supposed to also be mounted on legs?

Finally, for anyone that has seen both of these up close and personal...

Is there any difference in the amount of room in the casing?

I eventually want to retrofit a 70w MH into mine. I am pretty sure the orbit series will work for that, but am not sure about the satellite series.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-M

Originally posted by lgreen

... They are available from 20" (finally a cool light for a 10g!!),...

Current is a company formed by ex-CSL (Custom SeaLife) employees. The Orbit is metal just like the CSL model I've been modding w/ MH. nothin new...:|

• 4 weeks later...

check out marineandreef.com

I have orderd from these guys 2 X's. Today I received my 24" single 65W satellite from Gina's aquarium supply (www.aquarium-supply.biz), both owned by same co., Vox Global. I live in So Cal. and got the lights within 2 days. I love it, it is added to my 130W coralife. All that in my 26 gallon bowfront. Wish I had bought the Current USA in the first place. Looks awesome, I will post pics soon.

P.S. I got the 24" Current USA for $53.00!!!!!!!!! check it out.

DESERTHEATRACING

I am useing the 20" 40W and have to say for a 40w it is friggin bright! They claim up to 3x the output of a normal 40W and I would have to say they look to be correct! It is in my 10G nano. I also use a coralife mini 2x9w for my fuge. All seems to be perfect! I am not growing any corals yet but my bud is with the same light and with a 10G being so short his corals are growing awsome and have tons of color! Very very good light for $50 I paid for it! Also the moon light is pretty cool as well.

myfisharemean

How about the 12"ers, I have a Drs. Foster Smith fixture with the stock bulbs, should I change the bulbs, or just go with a 12" Satellite? I have the money, but should I spend it on something else, like even more LR (thanks Igreen, I think I could cram about 10 more pounds in there, lol)

Archived