Cultivated Reef

Wife Kicked Tank Out of - Need Quite & Attractive Idea

Sneltyr

9 gallon got kicked out when I put an AC70 on it. Wife said too loud and an eyesore.

My wife loved the tank without the AC70.

So this tank is headed to my Son's room. I'd like to put one in the living room but it needs to be a clean, attractive and VERY quite.

I am thinking IM Nano 16 or PicO Aquarium 20 Cube. The real question is how quite I can get these two choices. I know StevieT has a filter compartment cover for the RSM130 that is an almost perfect fit on the nuvo 16. That cover would hide the back compartment and skimmer.

Trying to figure out how quietly the PicO or Nuvo 16 can be run - quietest rear-compartment skimmer and quietest pump upgrade.

I have IM 16, Micro-Reef 8 and fluval edge 6. ( these are my smaller aio tanks ) First 2 are very quiet. Adding skimmer might and probably will add some ambient noise. But then again, I didn't own every skimmer out there. As to AC 70 noise, look for YouTube tweak that makes is super quiet. Most are noisy out of the box.

I have IM 16, Micro-Reef 8 and fluval edge 6. ( these are my smaller aio tanks ) First 2 are very quiet. Adding skimmer might and probably will add some ambient noise. But then again, I didn't own every skimmer out there. As to AC 70 noise, look for YouTube tweak that makes is super quiet. Most are noisy out of the box.

Thanks - I'm leaning toward the IM16 with StevieT's RSM130 Filter compartment cover. I read he upgraded with Eheim pumps and I'm not sure which skimmer he is using. I'd probably go withe the Skkye LEDs for a gold clean look.

The pic0 should be pretty much silent a slight hum from my rio is all I hear its such a small pump and it doesn't make aweful grinding noises like some hobs will.

The pic0 should be pretty much silent a slight hum from my rio is all I hear its such a small pump and it doesn't make aweful grinding noises like some hobs will.

My only reservation with the PicO is a "clean looking light" and finding an acrylic cover for the filter compartment. If I got the PicO 18x18x16 I'd probably get a Kessil 360

My only reservation with the PicO is a "clean looking light" and finding an acrylic cover for the filter compartment. If I got the PicO 18x18x16 I'd probably get a Kessil 360
For a clean looking light, check out nanobox or a kessil.. They both have very sleek tank mount options that will look clean and aesthetically pleasing.

Another nice aio option would be micro-reefs.. Mike is churning out some really nice tanks..

For a clean looking light, check out nanobox or a kessil.. They both have very sleek tank mount options that will look clean and aesthetically pleasing.

Another nice aio option would be micro-reefs.. Mike is churning out some really nice tanks..

Thanks much - I'll check out microreefs as well. Thanks for the light suggestions. Clean looking and VERY quite will get me a tank back in the living room :)

Jackal_Knight

This ^^

If u like ur current tank tell your wife to quit her bitching and give the ac70 about a week to get a slime coat and become quite.

Mine was really loud when i first got and it was in my bedroom which was terrible. But soon it became a very low hum that can barely be heard. Also if its that bad you might have bent shaft on the motor, so u could try to get a new one and see if its better.

If ur using this as an excuse to upgrade, then u can't go wrong with any of the tank mentioned. Just micro reefs aio are acrylic, the tanks look amazing but scratch easier .

Kick wife out, problem solved!

Love it!!! Problem is I'd be stuck alone with 3 teenagers!

This ^^

If u like ur current tank tell your wife to quit her bitching and give the ac70 about a week to get a slime coat and become quite.

Mine was really loud when i first got and it was in my bedroom which was terrible. But soon it became a very low hum that can barely be heard. Also if its that bad you might have bent shaft on the motor, so u could try to get a new one and see if its better.

If ur using this as an excuse to upgrade, then u can't go wrong with any of the tank mentioned. Just micro reefs aio are acrylic, the tanks look amazing but scratch easier .

Definitely an excuse to get a new tank! And when she shows up one day & sees it I'll blame her for kicking out the other one :)

I'm gonna go the chauvinist route and say unless she's the primary breadwinner or once saved your life from a bear attack, tell her to can it and move on. After all, there are many millions of other non important, trivial bullshit issues to nag you about later.

Thanks - I'm leaning toward the IM16 with StevieT's RSM130 Filter compartment cover. I read he upgraded with Eheim pumps and I'm not sure which skimmer he is using. I'd probably go withe the Skkye LEDs for a gold clean look.

Eheim pumps are dead quiet. At least the one I use with my Micro-Reef 8g tank. I am actually contemplating alternatives for stock pump on IM 16. Either Eheim, Cobalt Aquatics MJ series or Syncra Silence pump is on my short list for replacement. I am using IM 24" LEDs - one 14K and other nm456 blue. But soon to be replaced by Max Razor 16K - 120w.

I don't use skimmer at the moment as it isn't needed and this setup is in my media/projection room and excess noise isn't an option. I do run gfo reactor from IM but I have to say that it is almost silent. So no noise issues there. Other then that, my wife digs this tank and that along makes it a no brainer.

If you want glass, do the PicO and the nanobox light.

So the IM16 with dual Skkye lights is $350. The 20gallon 18x18x16 PicO Aquarium is $300 and the Nano Box Mono or Duo are $350 & $450 respectively. That's $350 vs. $650 or $750 but I assume there is no comparison in the lights.

I'm also assuming the PicO is a bit nicer than the Nuvo? I know the PicO has joints on the front where the IM is bent glass.

So the IM16 with dual Skkye lights is $350. The 20gallon 18x18x16 PicO Aquarium is $300 and the Nano Box Mono or Duo are $350 & $450 respectively. That's $350 vs. $650 or $750 but I assume there is no comparison in the lights. I'm also assuming the PicO is a bit nicer than the Nuvo? I know the PicO has joints on the front where the IM is bent glass.

The skyye light is definitely not as good as the nanobox fixture. But, the skyye light is a fine light.

As far as the PicO vs IM is concerned, I think the PicO aquariums are nicer. Bent glass isn't really my thing (I dislike the distortion in the bends when I look in the tank), and the bent glass is too risky compared to standard rectangular or cube aquariums in my opinion. It's up to you, though. If you like the IM, get the IM16. If you get the IM, you may as well get the skyye light and see what you think - I think you'll end up upgrading in the long run, though.

IM 16 comes with a floating stand that makes the tank look suspended in the air.

And you are right, there is no comparison in light quality. If you add something like max razor or hydor led, the total price will be very similar. What you plan on keeping in your tank will determine the light needs.

2 totally different tanks. The PicO is an 18x18x16 20G cube and the IM16 is a long thin setup. I do like the pedestal on the IM. The different modes and controllability on the Nano lights sounds awesome. Not planning on any SPS. I wonder if the Nanobox Mono would be enough for the 18x18x16 cube. It sure would look sleek.

Here's my PicO 18x18x9 12G shallow cube with Nanobox Duo on top. Looks pretty clean to me... And the PicO has a cover over the back chamber plus the pump is pretty quiet. The IM is nice too. My LFS has one on display, but the stock lights are not that great. You will upgrade in the future.

11863792445_26d16da392.jpg

Here's my PicO 18x18x9 12G shallow cube with Nanobox Duo on top. Looks pretty clean to me... And the PicO has a cover over the back chamber plus the pump is pretty quiet. The IM is nice too. My LFS has one on display, but the stock lights are not that great. You will upgrade in the future.

Ninja - that's a neat tank. I noticed on your build thread you said you put a screen on it. How did you got the screen around the light mounts?

This years PicO build is an 18x18x16. I know he can make anything custom.

Ninja - that's a neat tank. I noticed on your build thread you said you put a screen on it. How did you got the screen around the light mounts?

This years PicO build is an 18x18x16. I know he can make anything custom.

It's the LifeNet screen by PicO. It just sits on top of the light mounts, which means it's not flush against the top of the tank and there's a little gap. I take if off as soon as I get home. I only put it on when I am not home. I can probably leave it off since my clownfish doesn't get spooked easily.

I love the shallow look. If I went that way I'd put it on a higher stand - 40+ inches

I love the shallow look too, but you are sacrificing water volume.

Ninja - did you HAVE to go with the duo? I thought the mono would cover a 16-18" cube? Did you go with the duo just in case?

Ninja - did you HAVE to go with the duo? I thought the mono would cover a 16-18" cube? Did you go with the duo just in case?

I originally quoted the mono from Dave, but got the Duo just in case I want to upgrade in the future. I am pretty sure someone here has a Mono over their PicO 18x18 cube. For $100 more, I get twice the number of LEDs. I am the guy that orders a Venti at Starbucks even though I only finish half =P.

Archived