Coral Vue Hydros

Cost of your 10 gallon nanoreef!

holyherbiness

holyherbiness

I am asking everyone who has the standard AGA 10 gallon to give me the total cost (and specs, if possible) of their 10 gallon nanoreef!!!

Include everything! If this is your onyl tank, include salt mix, r/o or whatever! :)

thanks!

EDIT:

Although I have not set it up yet, and am not a DIY type of person (only thing i ever built was a brine shrimp hatchery), here are my planned specs

96w powerquad (100 dollars)

Glass top with cutout in back (15 dollars)

Live Rock : 20 pounds or so: 100 dollars

Live sand: 15 pounds (60 dollars)

Powerhead, possibly? : 15 dollars

Cheap hydrometer : 6 dollars

Salt mixes : 20ish dollars

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not even close to done yet, but here is what I have done, and what I expect to do:

Tank: Free

False Percula: Free

Stand: $40

Heater: $15

Substrate: $20

HOB Fuge: $55

Test Kits: $80

Refractometer: $35

Food/Salt/Etc: $55

Powerheads: $35

LR: $50

Remora: $100

T5 HO Lighting: $125

Dripper: $50

Pump/Tank/Lights for sump/Fuge: $75

Overflow: $30

That puts me ~$765. And most of that was second hand or DIY purchases.

Yet to buy:

Iceprobe Chiller w/ Controller ($140)

Corals

Another false perc

Total of ~900 - and again, that is only with the one clown as livestock.

And then, after waiting awhile, I can get the fun stuff...

The rule of thumb I've always heard is $35-$40/gallon before livestock costs. So that makes a 10gal roughly $350-$400 to setup properly. This is not a hobby for the cheap or the faint of heart..lol. And its probably not the best hobby for a highschool student if you don't have a stellar job and/or a lot of help from your parents. If I were you, and wanted to get my feet wet with marine tanks, I'd setup a little FOWLR and keep some clowns or gobies. That way you save a ton of money on lighting and you still get to know the "basics" of marine tanks..so that when you get a bit more money, you can do everything "right" and also have a good basic grounding in marine biology, chemistry, and biochemistry.

Just my thoughts....

Fred

Cellenzweig

There's a lot more hidden costs. You'll want a calcium and alk test. And recommend ammonia, nitrite & nitrate, not only for cycling, but for diagnosis if you have a problem. You'll definately need a powerhead. Salt is not just the initial cost, it'll be ongoing as you have to do water changes. You also need RO water.

imo, the glass top isn't needed. it'll trap heat and prevent gas exchange.

Eventually, you'll probably want to get a hob filter and some macro algae. Livestock, new corals, etc, tec.. Really SW tanks are an ongoing expense.

Danielson330

I've had my nanocube for about six weeks and I've spent roughly $500 on it with a couple of fish, LR, minor upgrades, and only one coral and it has a long way to go before I'm happy with it. All the small stuff really adds up

I've had my nanocube for a few months now... I'd have to say that I've spent upwards of $1000 including my livestock, test kits, equipment, LR, LS, stand etc. Ugh, I think I have a probem :)

Cellenzweig
i don't wanna talk about it =(

I know what you mean. I prefer not to keep track of what I've spent. It's easier that way...

holyherbiness

Heh I suspected as much

I have the funds, parents and years of savings, but heck, gonna keep researching and stuff.

My friend has a 55 gallon reef tank (more fish than rocks/corals), but he does not plunker down much money for it (ie: tap water, warm temps, etc).

jojomichael

15G Tank: $35

Hood: $50

Stand: $50

72W PC: $60

Jalli 18W: $40

CPR Aquafuge: $90

Powerheads: $30

Heater: $15

LS: $20

LR: $150

Corals: $100+

Total: $640

... fish, food, test kits, ro water, salt mix not included

Okay...as an example..I'm just pricing out and assembling my 15 gallon system..here goes:

15 gallon tank-(lying around the house) ~$25

10 gallon tank (sump)-(lying around) ~$15

DIY Stand/hood ~$80

Lighting (400w MH)-(have ballast lying around) ~$250

Plumbing supplies ~$200

Return Pump ~$80

Spare 'heads (lying around) ~$50

Heater (lying around) ~$30

cost of drilling tank (5 holes) ~$100

LR (20 lbs, give or take) ~$150

Miscellaneous junk (kits, hydro, salt, RO) ~$100

I think that about covers it..so lets see...a total (again..before livestock) of.....$1080.00. Luckily..as I say..I have most of that stuff lying around not being used from previous systems. The only things I still need to buy (now that I've decided to drill) are the drilling itself, the stand, and my plumbing supplies. This is not a cheap hobby..lol..

Edit: Oh yeah...and a Bak-Pak 2R (another thing I've got lying around) at roughly $150..so that jacks itup to..lessee..$1230.00?

holyherbiness
Originally posted by Spasticat

over a grand, still better than a new computer of equal cost :)!

Well, I disagree. I spend about 3 hours minimum on the computer each day and without it, I wouldn't be able to see all these reef pictures and play my video games and edit my photos etc.

But then again, I'm hipper than all of you.

Just kidding, but damn, what an expensive hobby. I only have about half a grand to shell out on this.

10 g tank - 10

2 x 40w CSL PC light - 85

100w heater - 25

eheim ecco 2233 (had on different tank) - 99

10# nano marshal at premium - 35

15# sand - 20

thermometer - 3

15 snails - 2 bucks each

10 hermits - 3 bucks each

2 damsels - 6 bucks each

1 coral banded shrimp - 16 bucks

sooo.....365 before my employee discount (25%), so about $274 with it. No coral in that tank yet.

Originally posted by FAC_WNY

The rule of thumb I've always heard is $35-$40/gallon before livestock costs.  So that makes a 10gal roughly $350-$400 to setup properly.  This is not a hobby for the cheap or the faint of heart..lol.  And its probably not the best hobby for a highschool student if you don't have a stellar job and/or a lot of help from your parents.  If I were you, and wanted to get my feet wet with marine tanks, I'd setup a little FOWLR and keep some clowns or gobies.  That way you save a ton of money on lighting and you still get to know the "basics" of marine tanks..so that when you get a bit more money, you can do everything "right" and also have a good basic grounding in marine biology, chemistry, and biochemistry.  

Just my thoughts....

Fred

So is the difference just no corals? Can you still have shrimp in a FOWLR (Sounds like a stupid question to be since it is Fish only but I am curious if inverts are in that group).

I`m in highschool, My parents and family have not payed for anything. All of the money for my fish and corals comes from the job I do on the weekend. I`ve sppent about 200 dolars on corals so far and it can easily be done by a high school kid. Most of my friends make more money then me. trust me the 60 dollars I make a weekend doesn`t go far but I make it work.

I just set mine up.

Tank: $10

Green Chromis: $0-already had it

Heater: $0-already had it

Substrate: $6 (Got a 26 lb bag of aragonite on clearance)

Aquaclear 500: $0-already had it

Test Kits: $0-already had it

Salinity meter: $0-already had it

10 lb LR: 0-already had it

Powerheads: $0-already had it

55w 50/50 PC lights $30

Salt: $5

10G R/O water: $5

Total cost to date: $56

To stock it, I will be propigating peices from my other corals.

BKtomodachi

Flyboy your list uses lots of stuff that many people dont have to start out with.... so that could be the 56 dollar factor happening!

Personally I'm in high school and really have found a happy medium between spending my weekends at the lfs buying and working my tail off somewhere else....... working at the lfs and then taking things home! lol its great to have a job there.

1) Yes, you can have shrimp/other aposymbiotic/non-photosynthetic invertebrates in a FOWLR system...PROVIDED the fish you keep aren't going to find them tasty. The main difference between a smallish FOwLR and a smallish reef in my mind (seeing as you can't keep the larger interesting non-reef safe fish in a smaller tank) is the fact that a FOWLR of that size won't have coral (to save on lighting expenses, which, if you take a look, is one of the most expensive, if not THE most expensive individual item on most people lists).

2)Can it be done for less? Can it be done by a high school student? Sure...why not? My main concern, however, is that if you don't have the money just "lying around" you tend to skimp or do things in such a way that it will come back to haunt you in the future (i.e.--not using RO water, not having enough flow, not using the right supplements/making enough wc's). I speak on this subject with some experience, as I setup my first system when I was in college...and did it on a very tight budget....and "skimped". The tank lasted about 6 months before it "blew up"....and I definately attribute that to not having enough money to "do it right the first time". My other concern with reefing on a very tight budget is....what happens when something goes wrong? You unexpectedly blow an expensive lightbulb...your tank gets sick...a powerhead dies? Reefing is a hobby with many unexpected and very pricey problems. (My favourite piece of advice on reefing--"In a reef tank, only BAD things happen quickly") However..like I said..if you have the determination to save up for those "rainy days" and do things "right"...then by all means...start a reef whenever you want.

Cheers,

Fred

You could run a FOWLR without any lighting at all if thats the way you wanted to do it..lol. Not sure of the aesthetic value/how much the fish are going to like it..but you could. A lot of FOWLR's are only lit like you'd light a FW tank of similar size (i.e. with standard NO fluoros). There's no rule of thumb here...only what you feel looks "nice".

Cheers,

Fred

Archived