Top Shelf Aquatics

Cobalt Aquatics NeoTherm Heater 100w

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

Hey gang,

Even in south Florida, the weather has dropped below the 50s and indoors it isn't much better for our reefs.

I decided to pick up one of these Cobalt NeoTherm heaters to bring my temps up from less desirable numbers...I went with the 100w heater.

To make the story quick: design, shape, weight, etc is not important to me, the fact that I plugged it in, and a few hours later its at 78.2*, that's what I love. Haven't had to touch it and its the most accurate heater I've ever owned.

Makes the extra $20-$30 I paid vs other heaters all worth it.

Got mine from BRS:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heater.html

207705-cobalt-neo-therm-submersible-heat

They are great heaters. However, not as much "umph" as an equivalent Ebo. I used to have a 100 watt Ebo on my tank, it kept the temp rock steady. It was old and eventually died. Replaced with 100 watt Neotherm, temps were dropping as much as 10 degrees at night. Even the 200 watt Neotherm I swapped it out with allows the temps to drop 2 to 3 degrees at night. I'd go back to Ebo's but I have too much equipment stuffed in the rear chambers now.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I suppose I'm lucky my tank is only a mere 30 gallons LOL Ill pass that along to mpsti who's waiting on a larger reef...

Well, it's probably fine for a tank in a house. Mine is in the office at work. Open top, winter in Chicago and heat turned down to 64 at night all work against the heater.

I've been looking at the Neotherms, but I don't know what size to get. I have ~40 gallons and we keep the house no colder than 68 so ~10 degree temp difference is all that's required

I purchased the 75W Cobalt NeoTherm for my BioCube 14 and it is rock solid. The built-in thermostat/thermometer is great, as there is one less item I need to have in my tank. This heater is also great from an appearance point of view. Black and very slim, you hardly notice it when looking straight on at the tank. Definitely recommended it.

BTW for us Canadians it is not CSA approved so you will not find it in Canada, must ship it in from the US.

I didn't see a Cadlights 34g basket so I moved on! :ninja:

And brs has one? My list price is even lower I want my autograph back :tears:

Oh..... snapp

I have the 150 and needless to say its one of my favorite things in my tank. Anything that you don't have to worry about malfunctioning is awesome, which is why I love this heater.

SouthFlorida_Tron

And brs has one? My list price is even lower I want my autograph back :tears:

Touche... When are you making the basket!

I have heard a lot of good things about these heaters. My Jager has been acting up and needs to be replaced. I've been considering one of these. Thanks for the review.

I like mine, but I wish I had gone one size bigger. My tank holds about 7 gallons of water, so I went with the 50 watt which is supposedly rated for up to 12 gallons. The heater struggles a bit when the temps in my apartment dip down low at night (about 55 degrees).

Touche... When are you making the basket!

Is the tank popular yet?

Well, it's probably fine for a tank in a house. Mine is in the office at work. Open top, winter in Chicago and heat turned down to 64 at night all work against the heater.

This is my issue. I need to up the 75W neotherm to a 100W. It can't keep up this cold winter on the nights and mainly weekends when the office goes cold.

Well crap, I wanted to get one of these. I'm not sure if a 200 watt will be enough for a 45g cube with a 29g sump now. Minnesota is COLLLLLD!

:(

What is the lowest temp you allow your house to get at? It's not really the outside temperate that matters at all. I let the office go down to 57° on weekends and nights so it's totally different than in a house situation. The 200w is rated up to 55 gallons

What is the lowest temp you allow your house to get at? It's not really the outside temperate that matters at all. I let the office go down to 57° on weekends and nights so it's totally different than in a house situation. The 200w is rated up to 55 gallons

Hm. I'm not sure how cold it gets. I turn the heat almost off at night and when I am out of town which is what worries me. I know one time I had a heater stop working and I was gone over the weekend and my 20g tank I had at the time was like 64 degrees when I got home.

Time to get a WiFi thermostat. Just don't turn it down that low when you are out of town, say keep it at 64°. Unless you have a trough heater aquarium heaters can't warm that much water past ambient.

Archived