Innovative Marine Aquariums

red sea alkalinity test end color

Archaic37

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are salifert tests easier? I thought about them but they are pretty pricey IIRC..?..

maybe I'll try them next go-around.. I'm sure this kit will expire before I use it up.. I test once or twice a month on a good month :lol:

They test a lot faster than the Red Sea test kits and are really easy. Straight forward titrations, could do a test in about 30 seconds (okay, maybe not that fast) a minute!

They test a lot faster than the Red Sea test kits and are really easy. Straight forward titrations, could do a test in about 30 seconds (okay, maybe not that fast) a minute!

I have both salifert and red sea. Salifert is quick and easy to read, red sea is quick too. I just tested my tank with both

Salifert 8.8 DKH

Red Sea 7.7 DKH

That is a HUGE difference. Red sea claims only .5DKH off. Other side by side comparisons have said salifert tests higher than red sea, about 10-15%.

Polarcollision

I agree, but with most colour cards the colours are off and open to interpretation. The colour on the Alkalinity card is way off and should be corrected IMO to avoid further confusion IMO. Something they could, or maybe already have changed for the the next print batch.

As a note: I think the pink colour is the equivalency point and the orange colour is the end point of the titration. The difference between the two (indicator error) is marginal and maybe less than 0.5 dKH. As a comparison, the ELOS Alkalinity test measures in increments of 0.5 dKH (0.5 = one drop), most people are not be overly concerned with this interpretation or margin of error of +/-0.5 dKH created by the indicator error.

Having worked at a print shop, I can vouch for what a PITA it is to get the EXACT color printed, much less throughout the entire job run. Not saying it is acceptable, just that it's not common to have perfectly matched color print jobs.

I used to use ELOS test kits and have recently switched to Red Sea since I can get them locally. To be honest, I think ELOS kits are MUCH less complicated to use and much easier to tell when you've reached the correct titration colors.

My brother is in graphic design, and I, too, can attest to the difficult in getting properly calibrated prints. However, orange and pink are a far cry away from each other.

if they don't, I'll mail you the one from my old kit.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated, though I won't be needing them :)

they just replied to my email, he said they were going to mail a couple out to me..

What I like to do is as soon as it changes to that Orange red color, I add another drop or two and it the color dont change anymore I subtract those two drops. Their ask test kit is super light sensitive in my opinion I have to do that test in front of my patio doors

Archived