Top Shelf Aquatics

Hair Algae Experiment - Successful

DLANDINO

IT's been what, 2 weeks since I did the treatment? The one spot I did it on has not grown back bryopsis. As for the frag, I lost it somewhere. I had a million frags and I can't tell which one I treated. sowwy.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No water changes here. The amount of goo used is a drop compared to the system. Plume. If I was doing a large scale eradication so from entire rocks for example, I would consider a water change to avoid a crash.

No water changes for me but the amount I added was always small. No larger than a quarter at a time and I always sucked the remaining paste out with a turkey Baster.

vegasgundog

Well I tried it but I think I didnt make it thick enough. Baking soda sifted down like sand and didnt stay put for the most part. Gsp totaly pissed at the introduction of peroxide into the tank. Sucked out as much baking soda as I could. We will see when the sun comes up what the results are.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359&page=60

I think currently it is the largest repository on the web of before and after pics. huge.

both shrimps mentioned above are peroxide sensitive.

a mechanism for holding p in place underwater is helpful!! someone earlier pondered using gelled peroxide meant for hair treatments. but it didnt have such good documentation, more of an idea

Makes me wonder if mixing Xanthan Gum into peroxide would work.

• 2 weeks later...
biocubedatx

I've been doing this treatment inside of a neglected frag tank (red turf algae, GHA, bryopsis all confirmed and I'd bet there at least another type of algae). Since it is tied into a large system that has an over sized skimmer I don't vacuum it out, instead I just turn all the flow to max and let it all get sucked out. So far nothing bad has come of this, and my skimmer seems to have pulled double/triple than normal and the fuge algaes (chaeto, red ogo, fern caulerpa, one unknown red algae) are all still fine and unaffected. At the dosing sites, bristle worms, and large amphipods have died off but nothing in the sump/fuge has died all baby brittle stars keep feeding, copepods keep swimming, and giant amphipods keep hunting.

Really liking this paste option, I'll update if I see any adverse effects.

IT's been what, 2 weeks since I did the treatment? The one spot I did it on has not grown back bryopsis. As for the frag, I lost it somewhere. I had a million frags and I can't tell which one I treated. sowwy.

Well, unfortunately the bryopsis is back in the spots I treated. sigh.

The good news is that at least it can be controlled from spreading like wildfire by this method. Especially on the rocks which cannot be removed for a blow torch treatment.

Well, unfortunately the bryopsis is back in the spots I treated. sigh.

The good news is that at least it can be controlled from spreading like wildfire by this method. Especially on the rocks which cannot be removed for a blow torch treatment.

I thought I had all mine gone too... it didn't show up for about 3 days and then suddenly *poof* more bryopsis. It's in my sand and I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I guess I'll just start manually removing it. So frustrating...

I wonder if you could use a flavorless gelatin, mix in the baking soda and H202 to create a putty that can be molded in place, let sit for a period of time and taken out

I wonder if you could use a flavorless gelatin, mix in the baking soda and H202 to create a putty that can be molded in place, let sit for a period of time and taken out

like maybe an inert binder that is used in fish foods?

I think Agar and glycerin are binders. Glycerin will be a carbon source also.

I totally forgot about this but I do have a bag of xantham gum powder. I'll try this out when I get back home Thursday and see what happens. I have vegetable glycerin on hand also.

Glycerin would be interesting since it is a carbon source so it would be pulling out the bad stuff while killing algae. You could even mix in some carbon pellets into the agar or glycerin

• 2 months later...
vegasgundog

I was thinking of something like glycerin, but I was afraid of it entering the water colum and it's effect on respiratory functions of tank life. Would it interfere with gill functions?

nobody has formally studied that or any other aspect of peroxide use in the aquarium in controlled settings, its all anecdote but rather good anecdote I'd say :)

of all the things we put into reef tanks not intended for reefs I wouldn't think one bit some glycerin would hurt anything. we just had a post this week in general forum about dude putting honey in his sps tank, ergo glycerine w be ok imo

try to envision us chatting at a reef convention about reef additives and its like:

yep, we fixed all these tanks using

drive way de icer

bayer insect kilter

vinegar

vodka

sugar

honey

whole cream friggin milk per the thread wow

peroxide

goat dewormer for flatworms

Epsom salts

lemon juice, boiling water for aips

but that one guy using glycerine, he should have known it would melt his sht good luck recovering from that horrible chemical what was he thinking he could go there

:)

if one of you guys finds a legit use for used motor oil as a doseable carbon source I'd not be surprised in the least, innovations come just like that

The phyto plankton I dose is cryo-preserved and has food grade glycerine.

Food Grade Glycerine is added to prevent Tahitian Blend from freezing and to prevent lysing of cells. (Carbohydrates, which include sugars such as glycerine and molasses have been shown to be useful, if not necessary, to support established healthy populations of beneficial bacteria in filters and substrates. The presence of glycerine may not be of benefit to culture systems, e.g., rotifer culture systems, where biofiltration is not employed.)

Been meaning to post since yesterday. The xanthan gum did not work. It was too buoyant and floated to the surface soon after being smushed onto the bryopsis patches. Further the gum made the paste very slimy and it was tough rinsing it from my fingers so I imagine getting it to dissolve in the tank would be tough also. However today, the patches where the paste was applied seem visible lighter in bryopsis density. Even though the paste was on the areas for just a hot minute, it seems to have enough BAM power to burn the algae quickly. Also, for those that are luck to have never seen bryopsis. The structure of the algae is very very fine, extremely fragile looking. So I would imagine it takes very little to burn it off to begin with. However the evil thing comes back in a couple of weeks. Argh.

I'll try the gum paste one more time. Maybe a different consistency will work better. Maybe all that is needed is just to keep it together in a dense form, and not worry about it sticking. Maybe weigh it down with rubble. Not sure. But worth trying.

vegasgundog

Well.......hmmmmm

A substance is anhydrous if it contains no water, for example, salts lacking theirwater of crystallisation.[1] The way of achieving the anhydrous form differs from one substance to another.

vegasgundog

Answers

What is the use of glycerin?

Answer

Glycerine, (COH)3H5, or C303H8, is a 3-carbon alcohol, aka glycerol. (1-carbon alcohol is methanol, 2-carbon is ethanol). It is non-volatile and intensely hygroscopic (water-loving), and can be rinsed off any surface with ordinary water.

It has recently been found to hasten cell maturation and suppress inflammation.

Here is a partial list of its uses:

Reduces or eliminates any skin disturbance, from psoriasis to bug bites or burns. Apply the pure Glycerin USP form. Feels oily, vanishes into the skin in about 10 minutes (signals cells to open transport channels). Cuts off pain and itching by quieting injured cells, not a "nerve blocker".

Doubles healing speed, cuts scarring in half.

Carries most materials mixed with it into the skin, especially water. Mixed with water, an excellent moisturizer. (Principal component of most commercial preparations.)

Pure form kills all bacteria on contact by instantly drawing the water out of them.

Eliminates halitosis by killing sulfurous bacteria on back of tongue if swished and gargled. (Tastes slightly sweet.)

De-congest nasal passages by rubbing a few drops of glycerine-water mix just inside the nostrils. Takes about 15 minutes to soften blockage and quiet agitated nasal passages, opening the airway.

A teaspoon or two orally, or commercial glycerine suppositories, are a mild laxative.

Softens and removes calluses.

Being researched as a cancer cell "quieter", to prevent cells from proliferating.

Other than the above, some long-distance runners have used it as a drink for stamina, but not everyone's stomach enjoys such a large amount all at once.

Helps thicken skin weakened by pregnazone treatments for rheumatism, Parkinson's, etc.

It is also used in foods and toothpaste as a sweetener and blending agent. Used to lubricate food handling machinery where avoiding oil contamination of product is necessary.

It is a major component of numerous expensive soaps.

In impure form, it is produced in huge quantities as a by-product of biofuel generation, and has been treated mostly as a waste product and burned or otherwise disposed of. (It burns fairly well, but not explosively).

Beyond that, not much. So far.

Archived