Cultivated Reef

12 Gallon Mr. Aqua Actinic Overload

timothymarsh

@ Steelen: The plan for coral is to keep it simple and colorful. The left rock is gonna be all GSP, which should look really cool because it will be moving in the current and glowing like crazy under the actinic lights. Central and right rocks will get a few more frags, hopefully zoas, rics, chalices, or mushroom corals. I want the rocks to fill in completely so I'm trying to get things that grow relatively fast. If it doesn't stand out significantly at the LFS, then I don't touch it. Still debating on a frogspawn/torch, I just don't see enough long-term space for a coral like that. Thanks for asking.

@ ZeroEvoX: Thank you. I think some professional pictures would do the tank even more justice, but it's looking good so far.

Update:

Five gallon water change happening today.

Later this week I'm gonna pick up three more mexican turbos and probably a cleaner shrimp. I'm also going to try to avoid getting coral this weekend unless I find some Blue Hornet zoas at a reasonable price.

Next week I'm going to add an orange acan colony from my room tank and possible a small SPS frag from my mother colony.

• 4 weeks later...
lilmatty5dimes

awesome tank. i think i just found a place in the house to put a tank like this. keep up the good work.

i really love the rimless look. almost makes the rocks just floating on the counter.

I'm going to introduce myself here. Tim is my roommate here in college world. Ever since Tim put this Mr. Aqua tank in our living room I've been hooked. All day I sit and admire the tank. I'm excited to say that I am starting my own tank now! I'll set up a build thread for that later. But while Tim is back home for spring break and I'm stuck here, I'll post some new pics of this tank tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim I am thinking about getting these same lights for my 12 gallon. But I'm not sure I want it that blue what do you suggest

Pictures are finally here, not

P1270038_zpsb2dbb534.jpg

P1270039_zps8ce300dd.jpg

[img=http://t

P1270043_zpse364b7e8.jpg

P1270044_zps902d78b7.jpg

P1270045_zps6bc7fe4c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
timothymarsh

@ TLowrider: I'm sorry about the delayed response, I've been very busy with classes and pre-med club stuff. In regards to the light (you've probably already made a decision by now) but the pictures above are with 100% blue lights on. When the ratio of white to blue is changed you can get a light output that is well balanced and is actually more on the white side when everything is at 100% power. I've seen good growth so far with these lights and the actincts by themselves definitely give you a lot of color pop if you ever need it. For this tank specifically I think the lights are the best option because of the power, color range, and the ability to mount directly onto the rim of the tank. I hope this was helpful!

Hey guys I feel bad about hyping up this thread and then letting it die off. So today I'll shoot a full update video and post it later on today. Trust me this tank has changed A LOT since my last update. Keep an eye out for the video later on!

Thanks

@ TLowrider: I'm sorry about the delayed response, I've been very busy with classes and pre-med club stuff. In regards to the light (you've probably already made a decision by now) but the pictures above are with 100% blue lights on. When the ratio of white to blue is changed you can get a light output that is well balanced and is actually more on the white side when everything is at 100% power. I've seen good growth so far with these lights and the actincts by themselves definitely give you a lot of color pop if you ever need it. For this tank specifically I think the lights are the best option because of the power, color range, and the ability to mount directly onto the rim of the tank. I hope this was helpful!

Hey guys I feel bad about hyping up this thread and then letting it die off. So today I'll shoot a full update video and post it later on today. Trust me this tank has changed A LOT since my last update. Keep an eye out for the video later on!

Thanks for the reply Tim. I am currently using 2 par 30s and 1 par 38 they seem to be working pretty good I like the clean look they give the tank. I love this tank and having fun stocking it. Interested in seeing your current video

timothymarsh

I apologize but I lied about having that video out a couple of days ago. I will do my best to shoot and upload it today. It will be interesting because all of Dylan's 17 gallon tank livestock is sitting in the middle of this tank. (Due to deteriorating water quality in his tank for unknown reasons) Anyways, everything is looking good today and growth on the war coral and orange leptoseris is really taking off.

• 6 months later...

Now that my 15 gallon is broken down I will be able to focus more on this tank. I need to find my camera so I can shoot some pics. Update coming soon (hopefully) You guys aren't going to recognize this tank!

Haha. What a coincidence. I just got bitten by the bug again yesterday and want to start up another reef tank. This time a Mr. Aqua 12 long. Should've bought one last year when the price was at 70 bucks. Now I can't find one for under 90. Oh well, just gotta eat the extra 20 bucks. Can't wait to see the way yours looks now!

• 1 year later...

Archived