inTank Media Baskets

THE MERGE - 12 Gallon Mr. Aqua

timothymarsh

This project will involve a merge of the following tanks:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/339036-12-gallon-mr-aqua-actinic-overload/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349697-tims-75-gallon-cube/

I will be starting Osteopathic Medical school in July and plan to move the new system from Miami to Bradenton sometime in early July. The stand will be the same one that my 7 gallon cube is on currently, with a minor modification to support the longer length of the 12 gallon tank. Lighting will be a mixture of True Lumen Pro strips and two Par 38 bulbs.

Over the next few months I will log the progress of the individual tanks on this thread, and will eventually continue to monitor the growth of the 12 gallon merged tank while in medical school.

DSCF7262_zpspqw4pnog.jpg

DSCF7261_zpsvabpvu7s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took a couple quick shots of both tanks, I need to do a proper photo shoot with clean glass and no pumps on.

12 Gallon Mr. Aqua:

DSCF7220_zpsaeosudam.jpg

DSCF7225_zpscmq7a5tk.jpg

DSCF7223_zps8e93deo1.jpg

DSCF7212_zpselhggak0.jpg

DSCF7213_zpscsesktgc.jpg

DSCF7211_zps9c1rxfbx.jpg

DSCF7202_zpshih8jgjh.jpg

7 Gallon Cube:

DSCF7198_zps6md215bf.jpg

I recently swapped out the 50/50 True Lumen strip for another actinic 36" strip, due to algae growth and lack of coloration in the corals. Everyone seems to like the new light, I'm seeing better polyp extension in the acans and the dragon heart favia is looking better. I'll try to get some shots today and upload them tonight.

The 7 gallon tank had a small issue yesterday, a chalice and acan went at it and left the chalice in bad shape on one side. I had to do a water change because the tissue death on the chalice caused a little bacterial bloom. The tank is looking better today and I plan on trimming the chalice back with some bone cutters when I get a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

The "bacterial bloom" in the 7 gal actually turned out to be a green algae bloom of unknown origin. (I'm thinking some spores came in the last batch of NSW I got from from the ocean, and took off after a nutrient spike from a dead tank inhabitant.) Either way, after 3 large WC's (>50%) I decided to bite the bullet and get a small UV sterilizer to kill off the algae in the water column. Picked up this thing:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28944

from Amazon for $40. It arrived yesterday and is currently working well. I plan on doing a 2 gallon WC today to remove dead algae and excess nutrients, which should reduce the algae load in the system and give the UV sterilizer a chance to get ahead of the problem. From what I've read online the sterilizer should have things cleared up in a day or two. I plan on using that HOB sterilizer for emergency situations only, as I'm not a fan of continuous sterilization.

Here's a quick FTS of the 12 gallon after I moved some stuff around. I plan on trading in four pulsing xenia frags next week. The second shot is a black and neon green favia I picked up for $10.

DSCF7231_zpsm1oi0hhx.jpg

DSCF7240_zpshtitvjid.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hoo-man?

By the way, you still taking water from the bay after this whole radioactive isotope thing? I saw an article about that and immediately recognized the power plant lol.

HarryPotter

Here's a quick FTS of the 12 gallon after I moved some stuff around. I plan on trading in four pulsing xenia frags next week. The second shot is a black and neon green favia I picked up for $10.

DSCF7231_zpsm1oi0hhx.jpg

DSCF7240_zpshtitvjid.jpg

Nice, looks like the bacterial bloom cleared up

Very cool. My LFS Nebraska Aquatics has a bunch of theses tanks and I have a 25% off coupon expiring soon. I plan on following this thread. Good luck trying to go to medical school and maintain a small reef. Like what I see.

See, Tim? I brought the party. You should post the pics of this tank from when we first added the coral for comparison.

Actually you know what, I'll just do it. I did buy that clown, after all... ;)

P1270041_zps119123a6.jpg

P1270037_zpsc292b4f8.jpg

P1270034_zps6cf33bab.jpg

DSCF7231_zpsm1oi0hhx.jpg

DSCF7240_zpshtitvjid.jpg

Tank has some great color going on.....love them Zs and LPS.

Love the zoanthids in this tank! Big beautiful colonies! Lets see more pictures of the coral! :wub:

Very cool. My LFS Nebraska Aquatics has a bunch of theses tanks and I have a 25% off coupon expiring soon. I plan on following this thread. Good luck trying to go to medical school and maintain a small reef. Like what I see.

Nebraska represent! What was the coupon for? It's been awhile since I've been able to stop in.

timothymarsh

For those who have read the story about the radioactive water in Biscayne Bay, I can confirm that I get my NSW from within four miles of the power plant itself. I always thought it was weird that my tanks would glow at night even after the lights went off. All joking aside though, that is a very serious issue and I look forward to seeing the long term research that comes out of that area.

Thanks for the kind words in support of the tank guys! I know the pics right now are a bit rough, but I promise to get some good shots and run them through Lightroom so I can properly display the progress of this system.

Once the merge is completed the tank will have two large zoa colony rocks, an acan garden with green toadstool/hosting clownfish, SPS garden, and hopefully a lot less pulsing xenias (I hate those little things with a passion).

Stay tuned! I should be able to pump out some fresh shots tomorrow night if I can get off of my shift at a reasonable hour.

Archived