Pod Your Reef

"Real Reef" Rock

Wisenheimer

So, I just set up an IM30 (as some may have noticed from posts in other sections). I moved all the water and about 15lbs of live rock from my BC14. I didn't reuse the sand because I had algae in it that I had been struggling to control.

My LFS recommended Real Reef rock. He said that's all he's going to sell from now on for environmental reasons. He said he's been having good luck with it but I'm not sure how long he's been using it.

Now that I've done some reading on it I'm getting nervous. Has anyone used this and had good luck with it? Will the live rock from my previous tank be enough to seed this quickly if the Real Reef isn't all it's cracked up to be? Am I freaking over nothing because this is my first tank move :slap:

So, I just set up an IM30 (as some may have noticed from posts in other sections). I moved all the water and about 15lbs of live rock from my BC14. I didn't reuse the sand because I had algae in it that I had been struggling to control.

My LFS recommended Real Reef rock. He said that's all he's going to sell from now on for environmental reasons. He said he's been having good luck with it but I'm not sure how long he's been using it.

Now that I've done some reading on it I'm getting nervous. Has anyone used this and had good luck with it? Will the live rock from my previous tank be enough to seed this quickly if the Real Reef isn't all it's cracked up to be? Am I freaking over nothing because this is my first tank move :slap:

Isn't it like 4 bucks a pound? I would just buy some dry rock and add it. When you get new sand make sure to wash it out quickly. IIRC some people use peroxide to wash it out. Research around about that.

Isn't it like 4 bucks a pound? I would just buy some dry rock and add it. When you get new sand make sure to wash it out quickly. IIRC some people use peroxide to wash it out. Research around about that.

Do you mean take out the Real Reef and replace it with dry rock? I probably have about 30lbs of rock in there, half of which came out of my old tank.

Again with the sand. I bought the Carib Sea Aragonite. I got pretty equal advise on the wash/don't wash front. The guy that seems to give me the best advise said that he never washes it, even in his SPS tank, so it's in and unwashed. I figure the fines will come out when I do my water changes. I gently vacuum the sand when I do my weekly water change.

Do you mean take out the Real Reef and replace it with dry rock? I probably have about 30lbs of rock in there, half of which came out of my old tank.

Again with the sand. I bought the Carib Sea Aragonite. I got pretty equal advise on the wash/don't wash front. The guy that seems to give me the best advise said that he never washes it, even in his SPS tank, so it's in and unwashed. I figure the fines will come out when I do my water changes. I gently vacuum the sand when I do my weekly water change.

Do you already have the real reef? If you do keep it!

Yes, it's the purple stuff. It's the same price here as regular live rock. With the Boxing Week sale it was a little under $6/lb so I don't think that's unreasonable.

I had just read a couple reviews from people who had been having trouble getting it to stabilise their parameters the way live rock does. I don't understand why this would be but it made me nervous that maybe it was the equivalent of decorative plastic. There just isn't a lot of info about this stuff on the forums as far as actual function goes. All anyone ever seems to talk about is the colour. I personally like the colour but stability in my water params is more important.

I have my tank setup with reel reef, it's about 7 dollars a lb and it looks amazing.

How long has it been running? Do your levels stay stable? It cycled ok?

Thanks

This tank has only been running for a few days so it hasn't been up long enough, however my fiances old tank had real reef for about a year and it was perfect. It's live rock, so it did the job that any old lr would do, just that it's purple and man made.

Won't "real" coralline just cover the paint eventually? seems like a gigantic waste of $ compared to using dry rock. Ain't nothing real about "real" rocks except that they are real expensive in comparison.

Depends on your options. My LFS stopped carrying dry rock and only has live and real reef. Now they're even getting out of the live rock.

I personally like the colour better than waiting for dry rock that may or may not colour the way you want

Depends on your options. My LFS stopped carrying dry rock and only has live and real reef. Now they're even getting out of the live rock. I personally like the colour better than waiting for dry rock that may or may not colour the way you want

Yes, but don't forget that real coralline will eventually grow over the "real" reef rock.

IMO its porosity sucks and it never has the awesome shapes that some other types of rock have. Pukani dry is my fave BUT if you feel conservative by all means go with real reef. Honestly I'd rather by dry and make a banging aquascape than spend a butt ton on rock that really isnt all that hawt(it goes for $8 down here) its just freaking dense and the texture is weird...

Well, it's only a week in, but so far, so good. My 50/50 mix of established live rock and "Real Reef" rock is keeping my levels steady. My API master kit is showing 0 for the big 3 and a ph of 8.2.

I'll keep testing and see but hopefully it'll keep the levels steady over the long haul

Archived