Top Shelf Aquatics

Fairy Wrasse not eating..

RC1313

Both great signs. It was likely just responding poorly to the copper ;)

I'm happy it's eating but its kind of a d###. Chases the angel incessantly so far, the only way it stops is if I turn the lights off.

I'm happy it's eating but its kind of a d###. Chases the angel incessantly so far, the only way it stops is if I turn the lights off.

Some good research would have aided you there, they are one of the more aggressive fairy wrasses so this behavior doesn't surprise me either. Also with your tank being on the smaller side of the recommended tank size this doesn't exactly play in your favor.

You could try keeping the lights off for 24 hours (which I always do when adding a new fish and suggest others), then resume the normal light schedule.... I have done this for years and it has kept aggression to a minimum, but being that the new fish is the aggressor I'm not 100% sure this will work, but you could try it since you said lights out he stops so it may work.

Some good research would have aided you there, they are one of the more aggressive fairy wrasses so this behavior doesn't surprise me either. Also with your tank being on the smaller side of the recommended tank size this doesn't exactly play in your favor.

You could try keeping the lights off for 24 hours (which I always do when adding a new fish and suggest others), then resume the normal light schedule.... I have done this for years and it has kept aggression to a minimum, but being that the new fish is the aggressor I'm not 100% sure this will work, but you could try it since you said lights out he stops so it may work.

Everything I saw said it was aggressive to other wrasses. Guess I didn't research well enough :mellow:

Everything I saw said it was aggressive to other wrasses. Guess I didn't research well enough :mellow:

Yeah unfortunately they aren't overly discriminating in their harassment. Hopefully things will settle down with some lights out time. If that doesn't work and if it is possible you could consider doing a light rescape of the tank (wouldn't hurt to do it before you turn the lights back on even). Sometimes adding an extra small feeding can help as there isn't as much desire to compete for food since they stay full longer with an additional feeding.... but I know in smaller tanks this isn't exactly easy without creating water quality issues so unless your running a really good skimmer or carbon dosing/biopellets you might not want to go this route atleast not long term.

Another possibility to try would be separating them with a piece of glass or acrylic so they are in the same tank, but not able to get to each other, sometimes this settles things down as well. Goodluck :)

Archived