SaltCritters.com

Fairy Wrasse not eating..

RC1313

Hey everyone! About a week ago I received a Pyles Fairy wrasse for my 40 breeder. It so far has not eaten..I've tried mysis, brine, pellets, cyclipeeze. My question is, at what point should I get worried? It just hides in a pvc all the time. Wondering if I should just take it out of QT and do a quick formalin dip and hope for the best? Any suggestions/comments welcome. Thanks!

Are you running the QT with copper? +1 to soaking foods in garlic. You could try feeding some live brine just to get it interested in food. Does the fish look skinny? IMO I wouldn't worry until week 2 or 3. It might still be acclimating to your tank.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I don't have access to live brine at the moment, I'll try garlic next. Tbh I can only see it breathing inside it's pvc pipe. And yes the QT has copper. Thanks again!

I found fairy/flasher wrasse's, especially males are poor shippers and stress easy. I hope you have better luck than me.

1 DOA from LA

1 DOA from Blue Zoo

I lost an established one in a tank move (when I upgraded) and he was only out of the water for like 30 seconds but was out swimming and eating then disappeared within a few days and I had him for a few months before (He was from Diver's Den).

The last one (my surviving one) did fine for several months but then he got passed to another reefer and he died shortly after being placed in their tank from stress of the move.

These guys like to stress themselves to death imo. I would be terrified to even move him from QT and stress him more. It's like eggshells!

Thanks for everyone's replies. I don't have access to live brine at the moment, I'll try garlic next. Tbh I can only see it breathing inside it's pvc pipe. And yes the QT has copper. Thanks again!

Many wrasses do not tolerate copper very well, this may be atleast part of your issue. FWIW with wrasses a treatment with PraziPro is much better.

I've had around a dozen + different wrasses and for the most part they are fairly hardy with proper care.... and I have moved multiples as well w/o issue.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Chris!" data-cid="4578132" data-time="1387419483"><p>

<br />

Many wrasses do not tolerate copper very well, this may be atleast part of your issue. FWIW with wrasses a treatment with PraziPro is much better.<br />

<br />

<br />

I've had around a dozen + different wrasses and for the most part they are fairly hardy with proper care.... and I have moved multiples as well w/o issue.</p></blockquote>

So you don't do a preventative ich treatment then? Thanks for the info and sorry if my phone jacked up the quote

If you look around you can find a lot of info stating they are more delicate shippers.

Chris is right though, they are somewhat sensitive to copper. QTing him for a long enough period without copper to make sure he is free of disease is probably a better idea. I hope he comes around for you. It is not exactly a cheap investment.

If you look around you can find a lot of info stating they are more delicate shippers.

Chris is right though, they are somewhat sensitive to copper. QTing him for a long enough period without copper to make sure he is free of disease is probably a better idea. I hope he comes around for you. It is not exactly a cheap investment.

I knew that they were not great at shipping. Didn't know about the copper though. I had an exquisite wrasse before I started QT'ing and it hid for a couple days and then it was fine in the DT. Until it got ich. Go figure.

Does anyone know if UV sterilizers will kill ich? The one I have is 120 GPH. Everything I can find is from like 2010. That would solve my problem as I could move the fish to the DT without being worried about diseases, or being stressed by copper. Thanks

Does anyone know if UV sterilizers will kill ich? The one I have is 120 GPH. Everything I can find is from like 2010. That would solve my problem as I could move the fish to the DT without being worried about diseases, or being stressed by copper. Thanks

I feel like once the babies pass through they'd die, and once the adults die there would be 0 left, PM Jedi.

So you don't do a preventative ich treatment then? Thanks for the info and sorry if my phone jacked up the quote

I don't qt anything personally (Yes I have had 1 ich out break..... 16 fish that got it, made it just for several years afterwards, 2 died... the two sick ones that brought it in and that I pulled to treat), but when it comes to wrasses your better off looking into alternative ich treatments then trying to prevent it with copper. Copper in all honesty is fairly harsh on all animals which is why some really dont tolerate it well.

FWIW I had 22 fish at the time of the time of the ich outbreak, none of my 6 wrasses at the time showed any signs of having it ever. I'm not saying they can't get it, but they do seem more resistant, possible due to the way many sleep (in sand or in a secreted sac).

But yes, to reiterate, I would do a dip with PraziPro and observe in QT without any other meds/treatments unless you see any issues.

He said it would only kill some cysts passing through it..although I did see the wrasse poke its head out a minute ago so maybe he's feeling braver.

Lets put it this way, my LFS runs 3 large UV's on a system that is a a thousand+ gallons...... and I have never seen a spot of ich on any fish in that system in the 5 years or so that it has ran...and I worked there for a while so I saw a ton of fish go in (usually min 100-150 fish fish per order), and until recently (2 young kids really limits free time) I used to go in atleast 1 or 3 times a week, so I have probably seen a ton of fish in that system.. But people will claim they don't work ;)

Ya, I was asking about the copper because I know sometimes wrasses don't take well to it. Making your QT a copper system is not bad for all fish, however. I know many fish, such as tangs and triggers, don't seem to mind. A lot of big name fish stores QT their fish in copper systems.

How is the wrasse doing?

Ya, I was asking about the copper because I know sometimes wrasses don't take well to it. Making your QT a copper system is not bad for all fish, however. I know many fish, such as tangs and triggers, don't seem to mind. A lot of big name fish stores QT their fish in copper systems.

How is the wrasse doing?

He poked his head out today and did a lap around the tank. Still hasn't eaten any food yet..

Wrasse still hasn't eaten. Tomorrow marks a week at full cupramine dose so I will either bite the bullet and put it in DT or run some carbon and hope it eats and order some chloroquine

Thank you all for your help

Do a water change or three to atleast cut the amount of copper. Also you will need to run cuprisorb, I don't think carbon removes copper as efficiently...... FWIW, you should have already done this tho IMO, or atleast done some WC to cut it down some. It has been 3 days since you were warned about copper with wrasses and haven't made any changes and yet your seeming surprised the fish isn't eating still...... obviously you don't care that much.

Again, there is no need to treat it for ich when it isn't showing signs. If anything order some prazi pro, that will be more beneficial for most wrasses anyway as they often have flukes or other parasites that are taken care of with a little prazi.

Do a water change or three to atleast cut the amount of copper. Also you will need to run cuprisorb, I don't think carbon removes copper as efficiently...... FWIW, you should have already done this tho IMO, or atleast done some WC to cut it down some. It has been 3 days since you were warned about copper with wrasses and haven't made any changes and yet your seeming surprised the fish isn't eating still...... obviously you don't care that much.

Again, there is no need to treat it for ich when it isn't showing signs. If anything order some prazi pro, that will be more beneficial for most wrasses anyway as they often have flukes or other parasites that are taken care of with a little prazi.

Carbon removes cupramine. The wrasse has already been treated with prazi and added to the display tank. Thanks for the reply

Archived