ReefCleaners.org

Nano Box Duo & Quad : Pricing, Hanging and Info

DaveFason

Your whites are one one channel, the blues on another. Technically, you could turn off your white channel and run your blue channel at the lowest possible intensity to be a "moonlight" but it will still be too bright.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your whites are one one channel, the blues on another. Technically, you could turn off your white channel and run your blue channel at the lowest possible intensity to be a "moonlight" but it will still be too bright.

Thanks! So, your light will have a third channel just for moonlights? Are the moonlights entirely different LED's that run dimmer, meaning you're giving up other LED's to make room for them, or are they same blue LED's, but just two of them (for example) are put on a separate/third channel? I like the idea of an ultra dim moonlight, but I don't know if I'd want to give up other LED's in exchange. Lastly, what's this feature cost ya?

I might be wrong but my understanding is that they are independent of other lights.

So technically 1 channel is blue, 1 channel is white, 1 channel is moonlights...

So if you put limes on your build is that another channel?

And if you want PWM fans is that on another channel as well?

Am I correct in that the 24" Duo comes with either the wire or legs mounting option, as well as the storm controller? Am I correct in that the gooseneck mount doesn't work for the 24" Duo? Perhaps two gooseneck legs attaching to the light would make it work?

What's the reason for not using green LED's?

Also, could you please clarify what's meant by the option for a "dedicated moonlight option for the Storms moonphase?" What is this providing that the included (I think) storm controller can't provide? What's the cost difference?

Thanks for all the help!

Correct, either wire or legs as well it comes standard with the Storm controller. Currently I can not do the gooseneck with 24".

No need for green LEDs. I have been using limes with great success that look "green" but are much different.

The moonlight channel adds an extra LED and driver. This is then on a dedicated channel to take full control over the moon phase option.

-Dave

I might be wrong but my understanding is that they are independent of other lights.

So technically 1 channel is blue, 1 channel is white, 1 channel is moonlights...

So if you put limes on your build is that another channel?

And if you want PWM fans is that on another channel as well?

The limes would be on the the white channel.

Fans, correct.

-Dave

Correct, either wire or legs as well it comes standard with the Storm controller. Currently I can not do the gooseneck with 24".

No need for green LEDs. I have been using limes with great success that look "green" but are much different.

The moonlight channel adds an extra LED and driver. This is then on a dedicated channel to take full control over the moon phase option.

-Dave

The limes would be on the the white channel.

Fans, correct.

-Dave

Thanks, Dave!

When I said Green, I guess I meant Lime - I was just wondering why you choose not to put Lime LED's in your lights as a standard? Just picking your brain and your opinion on the color, because I assume you think the coloring is best without them. In the 24" Duo, if someone were to want Lime, how many would you suggest adding and what LED colors would you suggest the Limes replace? Lastly, how does pricing work for this feature (feel free to PM, if that's better)?

What's the moonlight channel addition cost (again, feel free to PM). Are there any other common upgrades that you see? I know you can list everything and the list is probably endless, but I just don't want to miss the boat on something major/common, simply because I wasn't aware of it.

Thanks again!

More PAR!

All readings are done on a 30"x18"x15" tank. A few things to note.

• Regular Duo will light a 30" tank. However the PAR reading on the edges are low. You could grow simple mushrooms, yuma, rics, etc.
  • 24" Duo will easily support a 40-44" ( L ) x 22" ( W ) x 20-22" ( H ) aquarium
  • Units are 90% Blues and 75% whites. This to me is a real world setting that 95% of people would ever max out.

Duo

14340151372_d22487d7cb_b.jpg

Duo 24"

14361972303_5b84005ea4_b.jpg

-Dave

Wow - that's terrific - thank you! This makes me think I can get by with the regular Duo, and probably make the purchase sooner than initially thought. I'm more of a LPS guy, but may dabble with a couple SPS, and I'd be fine doing that in the center-only areas of the tank. Plus, considering I'll likely have my 16g Nuvo for awhile longer, I can justify buying the regular Duo now (the Duo 24" seemed silly to have over the 16g Nuvo). And plus, plus - I can use the ultra sleek gooseneck mount with the regular Duo!!! I'll be in touch soon :)

Are the par readings taken from the bottom, middle, or top of the tank?

From the top. So what you are looking at is a birds eye view.

-Dave

That's correct, Oklahoma!

I didn't know if those pars should be expected 2" beneath the water, in the middle, or on the sand bed, etc. Thanks!

Doh! Ok, light was ~4"-5" above water level. The highest readings are 1-1.5" under water line then descending to the bottom.

A few things to point out, these are real world readings. I had my Vortech on RC mode, along with return pump rolling. NOT in a blank square area without water.

-Dave

jedimasterben

Wait, what? So are all the readings on the bottom of the measured area or at the top of the water line?

I think he tried to cover top and bottom in one color. For example the purple shaded area with the duo 24 reads 700-375.

I would imagine the par at the sand bed was 300 and at the top below water level would be higher. That's the only way I see the chart making sense. Dave, correct me if I'm wrong.

jedimasterben

Ok, so at 6" you can expect the first column of numbers, and at 20" you can expect the second column of numbers.

Yes. High numbers are just below water level, lower numbers as it descends down. Sorry for the confusion.

700 ( just below water level ) - 375 ( very close to sand bed )

Hey Dave, what does adding some lime do in terms of par? Does it have much effect or is the lime mainly for aesthetic?

• 2 months later...

The only issue with the gooseneck on the quad is the weight. I feel very good with most manufactures but after hearing some horror stories on some that will remain nameless I can NOT take blame if chosen. Pico Aquariums, ADG, Standard glass, miracles, Reef Savy and a few others will 100% be fine.

• 1 month later...
21CentSchizMan

So I thought that those readings were the cones of light on the bottom of the tank, in this case, with 5" above the surface on a 15" deep tank, PAR levels at 20"? If not, why does it matter how deep the tank is in the graphic? Or maybe I misunderstood the explanation.

Archived