Cultivated Reef

Nano Box Duo & Quad : Pricing, Hanging and Info

DaveFason

I'm highly debating getting a 60x20x24 100 gallon tank. At which point I will definitely need to upgrade lights. Will the nanobox's work for tanks with a 24 inch depth or will I need something else? I keep hearing about the nanobox light spectrum being awesome and love how they look. It would be great if there was a nanobox solution...I do realize the name is NANObox...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I'm highly debating getting a 60x20x24 100 gallon tank. At which point I will definitely need to upgrade lights. Will the nanobox's work for tanks with a 24 inch depth or will I need something else? I keep hearing about the nanobox light spectrum being awesome and love how they look. It would be great if there was a nanobox solution...I do realize the name is NANObox...

Just takes more power to get there, just like with any light. I have eight arrays in two rows of four over my 48x24x16 tank, suspended 12" above the top of the tank, so 28" to the bottom. In the front right corner of the tank I'm getting around 111 PAR, moving to the middle of the tank and up 6" I get around 213, and just about dead center of the tank and 6" below the top I get around 350. I will also have at least two T5, which will increase those numbers by around 50, 100, and 150, respectively.

For your tank, I would suggest doing something of the same - purchase a T5HO unit (6-8 bulbs), remove all but two or four, and run two strips of arrays, with each strip housing six arrays. This will give you the most even coverage for a stony coral dominant tank.

If you are not doing a stony coral dominant, then one 48" housing with eight total arrays in one of Dave's standard housings would be an option with two added T5 bulbs. You'd have around 225w of LEDs and another 108w of T5HO. I would expect cost to be around $2K maximum for that, but Dave would be able to give you a more accurate number, my estimate is based on the larger units I've seen previously and adding in the cost of the T5 (which is fairly standard across all lengths).

my head is spinning ben haha. I was just wondering if any of his stock enclosures work...i.e. like the nanobox quad?

Thanks for the inquire. I would go with a Hybrid unit on this size tank. Two 1024 Hybrids. Give me a shout on email and we can discuss!

-Dave

• 1 month later...

I purchased a JBJ 30 gallon RL and am about to buy the DUO for the tank! Only question when it came to check out time is the length of the gooseneck. I need some advise/input on which length I should get. The options are 9" vs. 13" and I have no idea which one is best for my tank. Tank Dimensions are 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" (60cm x 50cm x 42cm). I will be keeping a mixed reef and just want to get the best option!

Thanks!

jedimasterben

It's going to be a little while before I can think of changing lights, but would a duo be overkill for an ada 60f?

Certainly not overkill as far as covering the length (the ends will be darker than I personally prefer).

Certainly not overkill as far as covering the length (the ends will be darker than I personally prefer).

Thanks! I was just curious given how shallow the tank is and how I might hang it. It's on my shopping list. :)

Go with the 13". It will be perfect.

I purchased a JBJ 30 gallon RL and am about to buy the DUO for the tank! Only question when it came to check out time is the length of the gooseneck. I need some advise/input on which length I should get. The options are 9" vs. 13" and I have no idea which one is best for my tank. Tank Dimensions are 23.6" x 19.7" x 16.5" (60cm x 50cm x 42cm). I will be keeping a mixed reef and just want to get the best option!

Thanks!

DUO will be just fine for this tank. I have many people using it on the same tank or similar tanks.

It's going to be a little while before I can think of changing lights, but would a duo be overkill for an ada 60f?

I have a quad on my 60P like tank :P

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking to order the Duo for a 20" cube with water depth measured form the top of the sand bed to the water line at 17". Would the duo be the best choice? What should I expect for the lower 2-3 inches just above the sand bed?

I am looking to order the Duo for a 20" cube with water depth measured form the top of the sand bed to the water line at 17". Would the duo be the best choice? What should I expect for the lower 2-3 inches just above the sand bed?

I have a 20 cube and the Duo is great. I have mine about 5" above the water line.

Do you have the PAR at sand level? I am concerned that it will not be sufficient for the OP's tank.

You might want to look into the Radion Pro, see more information on that here:

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/radion-xr30w-pro

I don't PAR but I can tell you the Duo can be set too bright. I can't imagine it not being sufficient. I run BB and could easily grow whatever you want on my bottom glass.

DUO would be just fine. I run a 18" cube with my DUO and have SPS on the bottom. I will be posting photos here soon of the set up.

Dave, I would love to see the photos of the 18 cube you mentioned. I have some lps on the sand. As long as the duo can support SPS at the top 10+ inches and LPS at the bottom 18" below the water line this should be great.

Dave, I would love to see the photos of the 18 cube you mentioned. I have some lps on the sand. As long as the duo can support SPS at the top 10+ inches and LPS at the bottom 18" below the water line this should be great.

Any issues with keeping corals would not be with the light. Unless of course you had it set to max output which would bleach everything.

SPS and shading might be the only thing that I would disagree with in regards to presence of light and just "keeping" corals. Growth and coloration are both subject to factors in addition to and separate of light. These are all overgeneralized statements that have made for more than a few happy forum trollers.

Given the dimensions of the tank being lit and the comparable lights on the market, I think the nano box duo is the best option both in functionality and price. That, and I am always happy to support a competitive product. Time to start the order and wait in anticipation.

SPS and shading might be the only thing that I would disagree with in regards to presence of light and just "keeping" corals. Growth and coloration are both subject to factors in addition to and separate of light. These are all overgeneralized statements that have made for more than a few happy forum trollers.

Given the dimensions of the tank being lit and the comparable lights on the market, I think the nano box duo is the best option both in functionality and price. That, and I am always happy to support a competitive product. Time to start the order and wait in anticipation.

I will hop on it this week. I will snap a few for you guys!

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Will a duo be fine for 24inch cube? only softies and some lps will be on bottom everything else will be up high on rock.

Will a duo be fine for 24inch cube? only softies and some lps will be on bottom everything else will be up high on rock.

With softies and LPS no problem. Once you get into SPS you will have to be very precise on where to put it.

However if you plan on SPS I would go with a QUAD. I have an old style QUAD body with new stuff for a discount.

-Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi guys. I have an ADA 60f running wonderfully with my DUO. Recently got in to SPS so cranked the lights up gradually to a 4 hour midday period where both channels run at 80%. Kept the day at 11 hours and run at 50% max morning and evening. Everything seems ok and SPS colouring up but, instinctively, do you think I will do my lps in the centre of the tank some harm over time at 80% given the tank is 5 inch deep and the light 12 inch over the tank.

jedimasterben

Hi guys. I have an ADA 60f running wonderfully with my DUO. Recently got in to SPS so cranked the lights up gradually to a 4 hour midday period where both channels run at 80%. Kept the day at 11 hours and run at 50% max morning and evening. Everything seems ok and SPS colouring up but, instinctively, do you think I will do my lps in the centre of the tank some harm over time at 80% given the tank is 5 inch deep and the light 12 inch over the tank.

Are they showing any stress? Typically corals will show light stress VERY quickly and will lighten in color.

Blasto looking a little stressed but they always do. They need sunscreen. Scolymia all good so far but it's only been two weeks. Fingers crossed.

Archived