Top Shelf Aquatics

TaterTot's Office PicO III Lit by NanoBox

TaterTot24

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any corals yet? new FTS?

No coral yet, I am a little scared to jump in and get one right now. I just want to make sure my tank is stable.

Also, I want my first to be a Hammer Coral, but I am not 100% sure that is a good beginner coral...

FTS (looks nothing like this in person... I need to bring my DSLR to work...)

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Any tips on getting a Nexus 5 to take better tank shots? :wacko::D

hammer coral may not be the best first coral. try a zoa frag.

On this advice, I added 3 random Zoa frags to my tank today. They came from SaltCritters and I am pretty happy with the shipping/packaging.

Here are the WYSIWYG photos from their site:

B21%20Zoa.jpg

B66%20Zoa.jpg

B67%20Zoa.jpg

When I first got them, I got the temp acclimated and then dipped them in Revive. Then I just placed them on the sand bed until I can figure out the best place for them (also turned down my light 50%)

All of them almost completely opened up except for the 2nd one. Only 1 or 2 have opened on it, but I may have had it in too high of a flow area...

nice! i was going to grab some zoas from saltcritters too but i will be out of town next week. You picked out some nice ones.

Thanks man. Do you have any advice on where to put these things? I am going to leave them in the sand for the next couple of days, but I would like to get them glued down here soon. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to glue them down and get rid of the plugs? I have some "CorAffix" and "AquaStik" already, but just not sure the best way to do it. <-- I know I need to do some more research :mellow:

Nice scape! I would put them on the lower branches or climbing up the "trunk". I might twist the scape just a bit so the trunk on the left is more in view, since a bigger coral on any of the "branches" might obscure it.

I suck at aquascaping so be careful taking any advice I give. :)

So I am not sure if I have a problem or not... Remember I am BRAND new to the whole coral/reef thing...

I still have a couple of polyps (?) that have not opened up yet. How do I know if it is getting too much flow or is still not acclimated?

They have been in the tank for almost exactly 24 hours...

Here is Saltcritter's photo:

B66%20Zoa.jpg

Here is my photo:

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

it can take up to a week for zoas to open. since some of them are opening, i would just wait a day or two more. was that frag $10? there got to be like at least 30 polyps on that.

Thanks for the reply. I feel much better now. I have reazlied the past 2 days that I really have no idea what I am doing :unsure:

Yeah all 3 were $9.95 (I am assuming that they all were a pretty good price) . They still have some good ones that I would like to have.

I also just want to add that I am having a weird problem with my skimmer (See here:http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340166-tunze-9004-skimmer-problem/)

Well that Zoa posted above ended up completely dying and decaying in the tank. I have no idea what happened because the other 2 did great. I tried to do another Revive dip and Freshwater dip on it, but it never it never survived. Someone mentioned amphipods attacking it, but since my tank is so new and had dead rock, I am not sure if that was possible. It really sucks because that was the prettiest one out of all 3 of them.

One of the other Zoa's had some hydroids on it, but hopefully I got that taken care of.

Here is the link to the thread about my dying Zoa --> http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340428-is-this-zoa-dead-do-i-have-a-hitchhiker/

Well here are 2 additions to the tank.

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

Also, here are a few pics from my latest shipment from Saltcritters (thanks to a 50% off coupon).
*** Please excuse the crappiness of the pictures - I was in a hurry and did not realize how bad they were ***

Ricordea Florida
IMG_4581.jpg

Pair of Acan's
IMG_4582.jpgIMG_4585.jpg

Duncan
IMG_4566.jpg

Here are the remaining 2 Zoa's from my first order from Saltcritters
IMG_4567.jpgIMG_4574.jpg

I'm having the same issue with Zoa's in my tank. All are doing fine except one specific color. Very weird. I wonder what is different about them?

Well that Zoa posted above ended up completely dying and decaying in the tank. I have no idea what happened because the other 2 did great. I tried to do another Revive dip and Freshwater dip on it, but it never it never survived. Someone mentioned amphipods attacking it, but since my tank is so new and had dead rock, I am not sure if that was possible. It really sucks because that was the prettiest one out of all 3 of them.

One of the other Zoa's had some hydroids on it, but hopefully I got that taken care of.

Here is the link to the thread about my dying Zoa --> http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340428-is-this-zoa-dead-do-i-have-a-hitchhiker/

Zoas do that sometimes. They will just melt. I had 2 zoa frags from Saltcritters (out of like 20 frags so far) that just melted. I suspect the one you bought that melt may be the same colony as the one I got recently that melted.

Zoas do that sometimes. They will just melt. I had 2 zoa frags from Saltcritters (out of like 20 frags so far) that just melted. I suspect the one you bought that melt may be the same colony as the one I got recently that melted.

Good to know. I have really worried myself about that stupid Zoa. Did the one that you bought look similar to the pic above (from Saltcritters)?

In other news, when I got my Ric today it had detached itself from the plug so I just put it on the sandbed. However, it just keeps getting blown around the tank. I guess I have more flow on the sandbed than I thought. I am not sure what I am going to do with this guy

Anyway, my favorite additions to the tank so far are the Duncan (it has really opened up) because I love to watch it move with the flow and the TSB (he is a character)...

Ric likes low flow. If it gets blown around too much, it will get too stressed and melt. You can try putting it in a shotglass for a week with some rubles in it so it can attach itself. Or find a place with low flow.

FTS =). Interested to see how you are placing your corals.

FTS =). Interested to see how you are placing your corals.

Actually that made me cringe. I do not have an artistic bone in my body. I would rather pay someone than sit and worry over my coral placement. Do you want a job arranging corals in my tank? Lol

I have only placed my Zoas for right now and I already regret where I put them....

Well I fed my tank Mysis for the first time today and it was very interesting.

The Goby was scared to death and went into hiding. The Blenny acted like he was too good to eat them (even though I saw him nibble on some afterwards). The Cleaner Shrimp went nuts and tried to craw up the tube. The Duncan coral actually grabbed one and closed up to eat it. I was more excited about seeing the Duncan eat than anything else. I love that thing...

Anyway, I had a little bit of a scare this morning when I saw that my Cleaner Shrimp had molted. I thought he was dead at first, and then I thought another shrimp had gotten into my tank (the lights were off in my office & on the tank). Even though I have had a Cleaner Shrimp in my previous FOWLR tank, I had forgotten how much the molt looks like the shrimp.

No FTS until I get over the algae bloom (first one since I started the tank). It took almost 2 months for me to get my first signs of algae (probably thanks to a light-less cycle). I ordered a custom CUC (no crabs) from ReefCleaners on Friday, so hopefully I will have that by the middle of next week...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have some good news and some bad news....

Good news first. Here are my 2 newest additions to the tank (with a total of 4 these are the last fish)%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

Bad news is that my Cleaner Shrimp died. I could not get him to stop eating one of my snails and 2 days later he was dead. Not sure if that was just coincidence or what. He was a super aggressive eater and the day before he died, he would barely eat anything. I am a little more upset than I thought I would be. Anyway, I am going to wait a little while before I get a replacement.

Well I added a Hammer, Torch, & Frogspawn to my tank today. They all come from a member of my local Reefers club. I will be adding some pictures once the become more accustom to my tank and open up a little bit more.

Also, my Duncan has began turning brown and has lost most of its color. Not sure what would cause this, but I am turning down my lights just in case. It seems to be eating well, so I am not sure. It has really good extension so I do not think it is too much flow.

Anyway, that is all for now. I will update with some more pictures soon!

Well here are some shots & comments on some stuff in my tank...

Hi-Fin Goby and Randall's Shrimp (first thing that got put into the tank)

IMG_4651.JPG

Frogspawn
IMG_4640.JPG

Torch
IMG_4641.JPG

Hammer - Looks like it is getting too much flow huh?
IMG_4642.JPG

Zoa
IMG_4643.JPG

Zoa
IMG_4644.JPG

Duncan - It has lost all of its pretty color - maybe the Nanobox was bleaching it?? Any input?
IMG_4645.JPG

Ric (blurry I know... still learning)
IMG_4646.JPG

Acans
IMG_4647.JPG

FTS
IMG_4648.JPG

skyscraper2290

Looking good man! Wish I could offer some input but seeing that I don't have anything in my tank yet I figure I'll let the more experienced reefers chime in. Are your rocks completely covered in coralline already?

Archived