Cultivated Reef

Is this Zoa Dead? & Do I have a Hitchhiker?

TaterTot24

This was the Zoa at Saltcritters

B66%20Zoa.jpg

This was the Zoa around 2 days in my tank

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

This is the Zoa now (about a week in the tank)

Zoa%20Pic%203.jpg
Zoa%20Pic%202.jpg

Is this thing dying? Should I take it out of the tank or should I move it? The other 2 Zoa I have are doing great, so I am not sure what is going on.

Also, what is this on my other Zoa??
Zoa%20Pic%201.jpg

Should I be worried? Should I remove it?

You can dip your coral in fresh water that is temperature matched to the display. The other frag has hydroids which should be removed. Easiest fix is to super glue over the hydroids.

I did a Revive dip before I added the corals to the tank. What will the fresh water dip do now?

Any opinions on the first Zoa?

Looks like I need to do some research on Hydroids...

If you did a revive dip +1 on the move it off the sand, onto a coral rack if you have one. amphipods are usually good, but are opportunistic feeders.

You may have amphipods attacking the zoa. A FW dip gets them off. If you have more they will come back to the frag. Best to get it off the sand after the dip.

I was worried about placing the Zoa permanently if it ends up dying. It is literally about 1 inch away from another Zoa and the other one is doing fine. What is bad about it being on the sandbed?

Also, I can do another Revive dip or is just freshwater the way to go?

If you did a revive dip +1 on the move it off the sand, onto a coral rack if you have one. amphipods are usually good, but are opportunistic feeders.

Should I be able to see the Amphipods eating the Zoa? Sorry, I am a total noob to this stuff...

revive or FW will be fine, does the same thing but FW is cheaper and just as effective. Amphipods come out after lights out, look like baby mantis shrimp when you first see them, so you MIGHT see them but not likely.

As for why one and not the other, the most likely is they were stressed from being shipped and just need to heal up a little. This type of pod stays to the sand most of the time so raising it up for a month should help.

As for why one and not the other, the most likely is they were stressed from being shipped and just need to heal up a little.

I'll agree with this. IME, zoas are pretty poor shippers and those zoas looks like they're melting. I'd say do an idodine dip to sterlize any infection. If it gets worse, you might have to remove the decaying tissue so it won't spread to the healthy tissue.

IMO, no matter where you put the frag plug, amphipods will find it but I always believed that amphipods are eating away the dead and dying tissue (sorta like maggots eating dead flesh).

And those hitchhikers looks like hydroids, they're annoying to get rid of. You can do it by superglue or cut out the part that has the hydroids and toss 'em.

Well, I pulled off all the hydroids that I could find and then did a splotch of superglue over where they were coming from... hopefully that is all taken care of.

Second, I did a Revive & Freshwater dip and tried to pull off some of the decaying tissue, but as I am super inexperienced I was not sure what was dead and what was just really closed up.

Third, I just did a water change because I already had my hands in the tank.

I am planning on getting it off the sandbed, but I will have to leave it for a few more hours (got to get back to work :lol: )

Thanks for all of your help -- hopefully this little guy will pull through.

Well that Zoa kept looking worse and worse and there was pretty much nothing left, so I finally removed it from the tank today.

My nitrates have jumped up the past 2 days and I think it is because it was decaying in the tank. I really hated to remove it because it was my favorite, but I do not think it had a chance.

Well I am 2 out of 3 on my first coral ever,,,, I sure hope my success rate increases...

Next time you want zoas shoot for better quality. If you want some suggestions hit me up.

What I mean is you should of never received a coral like that. Decay and hydroids there are way better corals out there.

Archived