SaltCritters.com

White stringy clumps are on most of my brain corals.. Eggs or secretion?

Noonan

PIU3et4.jpg

I added some new pieces over the weekend, and of course I dipped everything that came in.

About 2 hours after adding the new corals I noticed that most of my brain corals (both existing and new pieces) had what appeared to me as either egg sacks or some type of secretion coming out of them. The white dots shown in the image are almost swirl like and stringy but they are all tightly grouped together. They cannot be blown off with a turkey baster --- they probably could if I used enough force but I don't want to damage anything any further. As mentioned, they look like egg sacks but they are still very different compared to the egg sacks that I am familar with (zoa eating nudibranch eggs, snail eggs, etc).

What ever this is, it is affecting most of my brain corals and nothing much else... zoanthids aren't opening but there aren't "eggs" on the zoas either. Any help!?

It's a defense response. The same thing happened to me when I took carbon offline for too long. Chemical warfare between almost all OF my LPS cause it to die.

Are you running carbon, if so add more. The brain is competing with something and trying to defend itself.

• Like 1

It's a defense response. The same thing happened to me when I took carbon offline for too long. Chemical warfare between almost all OF my LPS cause it to die.

Are you running carbon, if so add more. The brain is competing with something and trying to defend itself.

Were there any corals in your tank that you deemed as aggressive or the culprit?

This tank is a holding tank for many different species of coral. There are always different species coming and going and this is the first time we had this issue. A galaxea coral about the size of a soft ball was added during the last shipment.

Were there any corals in your tank that you deemed as aggressive or the culprit?

This tank is a holding tank for many different species of coral. There are always different species coming and going and this is the first time we had this issue. A galaxea coral about the size of a soft ball was added during the last shipment.

Basically all soft corals (Xenia, zoas) and the LPS seemed to decline. The torch, elegance, plate, brain, frogspawn all retracted and looked nearly dead. Everything except the brain recovered.

Sps didn't seem affected, nor did the fish. I'm not exactly sure what the true cause was.

Hmm now it spread to a pectinia coral. Here are a few pictures:

6Q7xpRw.jpg

WfNs9nU.jpg

QODv8ue.jpg

The first 3 pictures are what we found when we noticed that whatever it was, was spreading to the pectinia coral. Moments later we tried blowing it off with a turkey-baster. This caused the mucus/strings/whatever to become really tightly bound together, as shown in this picture:

il4VWhN.jpg

About one hour after the tight bounds of mucus started to form - I checked back on the pectinia and I noticed that it was completely free of all tight bounds of string (or whatever)... but it was just starting to reappear in the loose string like form that I showed in the first 3 pictures of this post..

Very strange.

• Like 1

Whatever the cause, this is tissue damage. Suspect your tank inhabitants, chemistry, or other similar damaging measures. Watch your tank at night and make sure there are no worms, crabs, or other cretures irritating it. What are your curret parameters?

All of the basics are in check.. pH 8.4, Alk 10, Calcium 460, Mg 1380, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0

All of the corals were isolated. Tonight started running ozone and UV, and have been running carbon and skimming.

I spoke to a few experts and nobody but really knows the cause other than some type of stress.

SUANSl6.jpg

• 7 years later...