SaltCritters.com

Drilled and sumped 8 gallon

Dnanoreefer

Here are a couple pics.

Sump with chaeto added and light on

3D65DD59-BD8C-4E6F-928E-BD695F882BF0-101

Sps showing some good polyp extension. I don't know what type of sps it is and for some reason te pic is blurry.

6F793F40-6112-42ED-8CA8-9B7DABC480C0-101

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine fts !!! Glad to hear the skimmer finally settled down. I do believe that chalice is a Hollywood stunner,at least that's what I looks like with the blueish body and yellowish eyes !! Nice pick ups though !!!

The two snails have been doing a really good job taking care of the algae and diatoms on the rocks. They hide when the light is on tho.. But at night they cruise all over.

I also tested the water again tonight.

Ph 8.2

Ammonia - undetectable

Nitrates - undetectable

I'm happy with that!

I'm in the need for more coral! Can't wait for Saturday. The wife and I are heading back down to best fish. I'm going to pick up a bunch of sps frags I think! Also I will be rescaping soon. Stay tuned!

The Favia and Chalice frags are doing great today! Three days it took them to settle in and fluff up. I have fed a tiny bit of rotifers to te tank daily, all the corals have been feeding. The zoa frag I got has been acting weird like it's shedding it skin but emerging from underneath it.. There are 3 different zoa/paly types on the one plug, so I'm really hoping that it perks up soon. It will be a really cool peice once it grows out. I need to pick up an alk test kit and a mag kit this weekend so I can test them. But water parameters are great.

Water params.

K-H 9

Calcium 520

Ph 8-8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrates 0

Phosphates 0

22415788-58CF-42C9-8DAE-EF6AD78357AB-178

The pictures are from the iPhone.. So quality isn't the best and color isn't close but it's all I got ?.

My salinity seems to be slowly decreasing.. I have the ATO hooked up and it runs just fine. Is this because of evaporation? I was always under the assumption that just the water will evaporate and the salinity goes up? I am not getting salt creep anywhere... The only place I can see the salt building up is in te filter sock?

Ideas anyone.

I might be installing Lawnmans filter sock this weekend. Along with. Rescape, an re arrangement of the sump.. My children are going to grandmas house for the weekend, give me some time to mess with the tank uninterrupted

Salinity is on point.. I let the floating hydrometer roam around the sump.. It was suctioned to the tank.. Salinity is fine. The clown goby is doing great also.. He eats like a madman! Getting pumped to head back to Lfs..

The purpose of the ATO is to repalce the evaporated water, therefore maintaining salinity. If it's changing, you have another problem.

Pick up a refractomer and dump the hydrometer.

I have a refractometer, but it's the glass floating hydrometer.. It's pretty acurate I believe.. The salinity turned out to be fine..

Really like this setup...nice work!

I'm working on a sumped 5.5 right now...gathering parts. How are you liking the skimmer? How loud is it? I was considering the sca301..or even going skimmerless until I find one is truly needed. You have me now thinking about the octopus

Hey thanks.! The skimmer is awesome in my opinion. It's doing everything it's supposed to. This is my first rand new skimmer, so setting it up was a little bit of a learning experience. But once the water level in the chamber is good the bubble adjustment tube works awesome to tune it in. It is not very loud.. A sump in General is a little noisy. But the skimmer is not louder than the Eheim compact plus3000 return pump. My setup is wry quiet. I can barely hear it 10 feet away at the computer.

I will post a pic of skimmate after 4-5 days of running later tonight.

Everything is doing good. I raised my light up bout 2".. I think it was too close. The sps wasn't liking it I don't think. Well see

The sps haven't had their polyps out much for a couple days but they look good yet.. The other corals are all open and doing really good.

F513624A-4249-4673-88EC-664C7E107C7D.jpg

1A0F2485-31B5-480A-BAF7-D1A22C58E15A.jpg

1A888683-5D60-496B-9FFD-D34E0E591522.jpg

I have a refractometer, but it's the glass floating hydrometer.. It's pretty acurate I believe.. The salinity turned out to be fine..

Your refractometer is a floating hydrometer? My dog is a cat.

No, I have a refractometer.. But The hydrometer I use is a glass floating type. Glad we could clear that up!

I think the question is, if you have a refractometer then why do you use a hydrometer?

Re arranged the scape just a bit. There is good space in the sand for zoas and other lps. I mounted the chalice on the right and I mounted the acro on the left.

E1D2DA0C-CAB3-4F74-8B5C-604F4B3A5977.jpg

05F8D73A-1DB2-4DC2-B794-D6C9FCE22F14.jpg

753EA0B5-0E92-4126-9714-7A7FD458C6F0.jpg

Favia, said it was a war coral? Picture does not show the colors well..

3E93E25C-88E0-41EA-BF73-90A06EAACA41.jpg

White eye chalice, I don't remember what the green and yellow coral are but they are sweet!

6FFAA231-F32B-440B-B1AC-F2A378A536DF.jpg

Fts

280CC18D-EC7B-46C3-870E-EAF552598437.jpg

Archived