inTank Media Baskets

Yellow stringy stuff on sun coral

hypostatic

Hey, anyone have any idea what this is? I'll find it on my sun every now and again, but I don't know what it is. My sun is usually open and eats well (and has grown quite a bit since I got it).

2h74ft4.jpg

It looks like guts but I could be wrong. Misotherial filaments (however you spell it).

Something is attacking it or pissing it off. Could be chemical warfare or a crab or snail falling on it. Some corals throw out guts when stressed or when trying to eat their neighbors.

Hmmm interesting. I've read that gonioporas secret a bunch of chemicals that inhibit other LPSs, so this could be what's going on. This is sort of an old pic, and I HAVE seen this much less frequently since I've been consistently running carbon.

I was also worried that it might be a pest snail that eats sun corals, and the yellow stringy stuff was eggs. But if that was the case I wouldn't expect to be seeing growth on the coral, right?

It looks like guts but I could be wrong. Misotherial filaments (however you spell it).
Something is attacking it or pissing it off. Could be chemical warfare or a crab or snail falling on it. Some corals throw out guts when stressed or when trying to eat their neighbors.

Archived