SaltCritters.com

Rosie's garden-Maynard's mantis

ll_maynard_ll

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ll_maynard_ll

Well the sand and heater did arrive the next day and it was the heater that was damaged. Here is the current FTS with the new sand.

IMG_20131118_233509092.jpg

And here is a pic of both tanks, my camera sucks and the lighting isn't represented well at all but you can see the difference in the t5 lights and the low power LEDs.

IMG_20131116_210502333.jpg

This one is a little better.

IMG_20131116_212408056.jpg

ll_maynard_ll

She is coming out of her den a bit more everyday, but she is still very tentative and aware of me and her surroundings. If she feels the least bit threatened she bolts back inside. She was out all the way earlier and I tried to take some pics but I wasn't close enough to get a good shot. But here is the best one I've been able to take of her so far.

IMG_20131118_220252715.jpg

ll_maynard_ll

Wow, I just got in a cheap par30 LED light that I got on eBay for $7. It has two white and one blue 3w bridgelux LEDs. I am amazed at how bright this little bulb is and the shimmer effect it creates. What have I been doing using fluorescent bulbs for so long for. Anyway, since I got a shallow water mantis I've been debating on ways to spruce up her tank and I have some ideas I'm kicking around to do in the next couple months in both tanks. But I'm definitely going for some type of LEDs.

KGrHqRlIFJoESYyEZBScH1W0bHw60_3.jpg

ll_maynard_ll
Glad to know that puts out some good light, was thinking about buying some.

This is gonna be good!

I want me a Mantis. :(

I mounted the light above the mantis tank and did some more aquascaping. The light at its current height only lights up the center of the tank well but I moved some red grape under it to see how well it will do under the LEDs. If all goes well in I will order some better ones for more coverage. They have five and seven LED bulbs for around $20 a piece and I think two would do a nice job. The macro tank I'm still debating on what I wanna do in there but my favorite macro I have currently is sargassum that was a hitchhiker so I'm thinking of doing a sargassum dominated tank with a ton of different invertebrates.

ll_maynard_ll

So Rosie is scared of hermit crabs. I dropped some shrimp last night in front of her den, as she was checking it out debating her options a couple of the small hermits that are in her tank took advantage of her indecisiveness and started in on the shrimp. Well it took them to fill their bellies and move onward before she grabbed herself the remains. What a wus, isn't she supposed to kick hermit crab A$$?

So Rosie is scared of hermit crabs. I dropped some shrimp last night in front of her den, as she was checking it out debating her options a couple of the small hermits that are in her tank took advantage of her indecisiveness and started in on the shrimp. Well it took them to fill their bellies and move onward before she grabbed herself the remains. What a wus, isn't she supposed to kick hermit crab A$$?

ha. Oh my gosh that's funny. Maybe it's just not inherent in her to be one. I have one tiny hermit in each of mine but I only saw green Gertie today (and I'm happy she's been in view several more times as I walked by) but she and the maroon one (who is doing it's hiding game today) have yet to have any altercations. They're so tiny yet though.

ll_maynard_ll

ha. Oh my gosh that's funny. Maybe it's just not inherent in her to be one. I have one tiny hermit in each of mine but I only saw green Gertie today (and I'm happy she's been in view several more times as I walked by) but she and the maroon one (who is doing it's hiding game today) have yet to have any altercations. They're so tiny yet though.

So they've both made it? Knew you hadn't seen the green one in a while. And Rosie is tiny too, she seems to like dwarf ceriths though because I've put probably 10 in her tank and I think they are all gone.

So they've both made it? Knew you hadn't seen the green one in a while. And Rosie is tiny too, she seems to like dwarf ceriths though because I've put probably 10 in her tank and I think they are all gone.

Yep, check my thread! Dwarfs didn't seem to do so well in Evolve 8. I bought some regular size Florida ceriths for the 34 and did put one in each mantis tank. I have so many shells in there I probably wouldn't even notice if one was dead if it wasn't for those being a bigger snail. I'll let you know how mine do with the regular cerith- it's like 3/4" and fatter.

ll_maynard_ll

Tonight may be a molt. She has been hiding since I got home, even when I walk up to the tank. Normally she pops her head out to see what's going on. Then I just tried feeding her a little and still nothing so I'm guessing this may be her first molt since she has been with me. I'm nervous, every time I read about someone losing a mantis its during a molt. I hope she makes it OK. I can still see her in her den when I use the flashlight but I don't want to bother her much during this time. I mean, hell, if I was shedding my exoskeleton I would want to be left alone.

Tonight may be a molt. She has been hiding since I got home, even when I walk up to the tank. Normally she pops her head out to see what's going on. Then I just tried feeding her a little and still nothing so I'm guessing this may be her first molt since she has been with me. I'm nervous, every time I read about someone losing a mantis its during a molt. I hope she makes it OK. I can still see her in her den when I use the flashlight but I don't want to bother her much during this time. I mean, hell, if I was shedding my exoskeleton I would want to be left alone.

I don't know if mine was hiding or molting but when you don't see them for a week you do get nervous. That's when you realize just how much you care for those little guys like yours and mine.

ll_maynard_ll

Does anyone know how long a mantis will go into hiding during a molt? I'm not sure that's what she is doing but she has been in her little den for two days now. I can see her in there but she isn't coming out like her normal self so I think that is what's happening.

I believe I've heard 7 days from others. And usually, from what I've seen with crabs even, they look pretty still in the same spot. Guess I'm going to liken it to Houdini, in that straight jacket or someone dislocating their arms or something to squeeze through in a very small space.

ll_maynard_ll
I believe I've heard 7 days from others. And usually, from what I've seen with crabs even, they look pretty still in the same spot. Guess I'm going to liken it to Houdini, in that straight jacket or someone dislocating their arms or something to squeeze through in a very small space.

Thanks, guess I just need to be patient as with everything else in this hobby.

I wonder if my Gertie molted because I hadn't seen her for a week but in the same vein I don't see the casing. Could be it's in the rock though. Now it's the maroon one I haven't seen. They're taking turns.

ll_maynard_ll

Well after 5 days of hiding she finally popped her head out. I fed her a little shrimp which she quickly took and I can see some remains of the molt in her den. I didn't get a good look at her when she came out, I just put the food in front of her and went back to the football game so I don't know if her colors have changed or if she has all her appendages.

I feel like each one hides until they are comfortable. Ivy will close her den just for a few hours and she is done. Bane will close his 1-2 days and my pistol shrimp closes his for 5-7 days.

My crabs and cleaner shrimp don't even hide.. they undress in front of everyone... :blush:

ll_maynard_ll
I feel like each one hides until they are comfortable. Ivy will close her den just for a few hours and she is done. Bane will close his 1-2 days and my pistol shrimp closes his for 5-7 days.

My crabs and cleaner shrimp don't even hide.. they undress in front of everyone... :blush:

I'm just happy she made it through the molt. She's been reclusive since I got her so I'm not surprised she hid for so long.

Here are the only remains she tossed out of her den.

IMG_20131129_205323_002.jpg

ll_maynard_ll

Here is a current FTS. I've ditched the last of the vidarock, I liked the look of it but for a mantis that burrows in the rock it just wasn't going to work. I've moved over a few macros to see how they do under the cheap led par bulb before I buy some nicer ones. They seem to be doing well so far so that's good. And I promise, next round of pics will be of the main attraction in the tank if I gotta drag her butt out of her den. Not really but now that she molted and I'm done moving her tank around I'm hoping she becomes more active.

IMG_20131129_225335007.jpg

ll_maynard_ll
Can't wait to see pics of her.

Right now I'm just trying to get her trained that I'm a good guy. I'm lightly taping on the glass which seems to bring her to the front of her den, then giving her some food. I'd scratch her behind the ears for positive reinforcement but she is too quick.

and if she would just roll over on her tummy so you could give her a good scratch and see one of a million legs twitching that would be fantastic!!

ll_maynard_ll
and if she would just roll over on her tummy so you could give her a good scratch and see one of a million legs twitching that would be fantastic!!

Oh rolling over and getting a belly rub is in my plans! But first she needs to sit and shake, just the basics for now.

Archived