Pod Your Reef

Rosie's garden-Maynard's mantis

ll_maynard_ll

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ll_maynard_ll

Oh, where did you get the light from and how much did it cost you?

I got in on eBay, 21 led blue white 21 inch, $20 shipped. Glad your following along, love the two you got. Such nice colors and stories.

Following along as well! She is quite pretty

I'll get some better pictures of her when she gets put into her new tank. Should be done by the end of next week.
ll_maynard_ll
I may have to buy that light. I need something for viewing.

Its a very subdued light, gotta think 2.1 total watts. But it lights it up enough for viewing which is what I wanted.

ll_maynard_ll
ll_maynard_ll

My mother in law was over earlier before I got home from work and witnessed "the red caterpillar" trying to get at my cleaner shrimp that was next to her container. Said it looked like a "flurry of arms." Damn, I missed it. Anyway, fed her a bit of raw shrimp soaked in selcon and she grabbed it quick and disappeared into her hole.

ll_maynard_ll

So I went to check on Rosie this morning and there is a tiny crab in the bottom of her little container. Looks like a mithrax crab but really small. Don't know how it got in her container, don't know how it got in the tank for that matter. And how unlucky to hide out on the one rock I use to give Rosie some cover. Anyway, its on its own cause I'm not sticking my hands in there to rescue it.

I know it's the cycle of life but you still feel bad for the little guy. I'm assuming he won't be in there long either. Too bad he couldn't be found elsewhere. Glad to hear she's doing well. I can't even sex mine because they're so small.

ll_maynard_ll
I know it's the cycle of life but you still feel bad for the little guy. I'm assuming he won't be in there long either. Too bad he couldn't be found elsewhere. Glad to hear she's doing well. I can't even sex mine because they're so small.

I haven't been able to verify she is a she, but by what Dr. Roy said about her color I'm guessing he is right about it be a rare color morph for females.

mmmmm... crab dinner! yum!

I hope she waits until I'm home. She doesn't come out of her hole in the rock much. Fed her again last night another small piece of shrimp and she gladly accepted. I'm happy she is eating well and has made the transition.

ll_maynard_ll

Well I re-scaped the tank, I just didn't like how full it looked with that big arch in there. I was going for a more open look anyway and just didn't realize how big it was when I ordered it. Anyway, I can always use it on some other tank. I think it would sweet covered in coral. I'm still waiting on the sand to arrive but I used some I had laying around to get started. It is covering up a PVC burrow that I made that goes from one rock island to the other. Hopefully she will use it.

IMG_20131111_232736476.jpg

ll_maynard_ll
That's a good idea, linking it together like the subway.

Thanks, took some trial and error with the real live rock to cover the entrance. I don't want to look at PVC in the tank. Then the other entrance comes up behind the vidarock on that last cave on the right. When I get the rest of the sand in and place some rubble she can work with it will be cool. Or she won't even use it with my luck!

ll_maynard_ll

This is the most she has come out of her hole in the rock. And the rest of the sand will be here tomorrow to cover up the PVC tunnel.

IMG_20131113_202751_566.jpg

ll_maynard_ll
So she seems to like her penthouse view overlooking the shallows.

Seems too, right now we are in a standoff. I dropped an empty snail shell filled with shrimp right in front of her and she is tempted. She comes halfway out then thinks twice about and retreats. She wants it though.

I turned coming out of the bathroom and saw mine scamper away from a small piece of LR Reef Frenzy. I equate it's actions like w/ a squirrel- running quickly from here to there & I saw it run vertically up the rock. Was fun watching. Funny how attached you can be already. Just a totally different experience. Kinda like a puppy that's unsure, comes closer then runs away. I love it. Wants to trust but can't.

ll_maynard_ll
I'm w/ you, they're not ugly. Poodles are ugly and so are Chinese Crested dogs... Oh, and hairless cats, all ugly.

Hahaha, hairless cats.

ll_maynard_ll

Great, been waiting for almost 3 weeks for the sand and heater to arrive and go check the tracking on UPS.

"The package was damaged in transit. UPS will attempt to notify the sender with the details"

Its sand people, I mean I don't want a damaged heater, my current one works but is too small. But unless the sand was pouring out of the box, C'MON.

Archived