Top Shelf Aquatics

Trying to suprise my wife with something amazing...

Psychosis

Way back in the day when I was a professional photographer I used a Nikon F2AS (pre digital) but that thing rocked ! I now have a Canon Eos and to be honest I've never been happy with it. It just doesn't get the crispness and color that I'd like. It is one of the older ones though - had it about 10 years so maybe they are way better now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way back in the day when I was a professional photographer I used a Nikon F2AS (pre digital) but that thing rocked ! I now have a Canon Eos and to be honest I've never been happy with it. It just doesn't get the crispness and color that I'd like. It is one of the older ones though - had it about 10 years so maybe they are way better now.

The DSLR has come a long long... long... long way over the last 10 years :haha:

I wouldn't discount a good point and shoot; many ladies prefer smaller cameras that they can stick in their purse and take with them everywhere. Some of the newer point and shoots have really impressive quality as well as having good macro, manual controls (if you really need them) and of course HD video. My girlfriend has a Canon S100 (latest model is the S120 I believe) and she takes it with her much more often than one of the DSLRs. The only let down for me with P&S cameras is the slower focus. But as with all things there are pros and cons.

Yep, I just picked up a Canon S120. With the Digic 6 processor, it's substantially faster than previous models. I'm really happy with it. I got it because it has a decent imaging sensor, manual controls, 1080p/60p video, and it's still small enough to fit in the front pocket of a pair of loose fitting jeans.

I recommended the Panasonic LX7 because of the brighter lens, it is less expensive ($319 new, which is right at his price target), it's been out a little longer so it might be easier to find a used one (or accessories), and it has a hot shoe for an external flash. Plus, I doubt she really wants to carry a camera in her pants pocket (and the S120 probably wouldn't fit in the pocket of a pair of women's jeans anyway).

Personally, for a gift, I think that something new might appear a little bit nicer. For the price, I'd seriously consider getting her the LX7 (it's a good camera, and good one to learn on). Keep in mind that you'll still have to get a memory card for any of these cameras (should be like $20 to $30 for this Panasonic, depending on the storage size). With custom white balance and HDR exposure, she should be able to take some pretty nice pictures of clouds (or anything else).

If you want some extra gifts down the road, there are extra batteries, extra memory cards, a protective case, light filters, photography books, a tripod (especially for HDR), post processing software (like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom), and maybe an external flash (if she wants to play around with flash photography).

bodies change monthly. Most of it is your lens, buy the best lens you can afford. If your not getting crisp images from your eos camera, your not using it correctly. Even with a kit lens, at f5 to f8 in bright daylight its tack sharp. and I'm talking about the 18-55 kit lens. Canon.

I'm using pentax k5 because I have access to all the great manual film lenses that used to be dirt cheap but because of ebay, prices are way on the upswing. Lucky I got a couple.

canon 20d or 30d and an L series lens..is what I'd do now, if I could go back there. Old but excellent. I'd avoid the Ti' (s)

The DSLR has come a long long... long... long way over the last 10 years :haha:

Oh I bet! I feel like I carrying the equivalent of a brick phone lol

I agree, if you can find one at that price. Remember, he's looking to spend about $300. Are you guys using craigslist and eBay to find these deals, or is there somewhere else that is offering prices this low?

eBay, Craigslist and Amazon. I found a t2i body for $350 a little over a year ago. The price has dropped on the t2i more since they released the t4i just a couple months back.

If I was to get someone a camera take them out to look at them and get the feel. After they figure out what they like join a forum and see what kind of deals they have. My son has a couple of pentax cameras. found out he joined a forum and has gotten some really great deals on lens, he says it is a lot like the reef forums someone is always wanting to upgrade.

That's a good idea.

I think that unless she's had her heart set on getting a DSLR, a used camera body (without a lens) might not have quite the impact that you're hoping for. Plus the major expense is still yet to come. However, if she's been wanting a DSLR, it could be the perfect gift (and some people have a strong appreciation for used things). It'd be even better with a kit lens. Either way, I'm sure she'll be impressed. Yep, good luck on your decision. Let us know what you decide on, and how she likes it.

For a DSLR, I'd probably stick with Canon or Nikon. However, you could easily go with another brand for a compact (as you don't have interchangeable lenses to consider). BTW, what does she use for a camera now?

All right, I had a very long, multi quote reply typed up...twice...so instead of punching the computer I'll keep my reply brief.

Right now, she uses a little point and shoot I bought her a few years ago. I honestly couldn't tell you the brand with out holding it in my hands. It's seen a lot of use, which is why I assumed a DSLR would be the next natural progression before I heard about mirrorless cameras. I still think it might be the best fit, but I could see her leaving it at home if the camera, the lenses, and any other accessories weighed a ton. She doesn't carry a purse, so maybe it wouldn't really bother her, but I'll have to do some sort of test around that one. Tricking her in to a Best Buy with out making it obvious we'd come to look at cameras is a different story entirely...

So far as all of the other suggestions, I appreciate everyones input. I started out looking at the Rebel line, given what people on here use, but now I know I have a complete set of options I've never even heard of. I still think a T2i/T3i would be a good option, I just have home work to do on mirrorless/Nikon/Pentax before I make a purchase. If need be, I'll try to find it in the budget to add to the $300 (since that's a very tight limit) and continue from there. I know I'll be investing a lot more in to the lenses than I did the camera, depending on what she needs and how interested she is, but to start I think a solid body with a decent kit lens is a good bench mark.

Again, I'm sorry for the cluttered post, but losing the short story I was writing in direct reply to everyone not once, but twice, was enough to prompt this over a third attempt.

A lot of people feel that mirrorless cameras will continue to eat away at the DSLR market. Seeing that photography isn't her profession (and she won't need a bag full of lenses), it might be a great fit for her.

I'd also look at Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic. While Canon and Nikon basically own the DSLR market, you'd be missing out if you didn't look into these other brands for a mirrorless camera. Also, if you can swing it, I feel that $500 would be a more reasonable budget for this type of camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0344780582/mirrorless-camera-buying-guide

http://www.bestmirrorlesscamerareviews.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/category/tags/mirrorless-cameras

I just barely researched these as I was looking for my camera, so I won't be able to help much more than this.

If you want to use the camera for tank photography, a mirrorless may not be enough. HOWEVER, if this is just for your wife, get a mirrorless. IMO, mirrorless is the future and will replace entry level DSLRs. A majority of people using entry level DSLRs now are better off with a mirrorless. They wouldn't be able to tell the difference in image quality between the two. They are also not using most of the advance features of a DSLR. They have a kit lens and will probably not buy another lens again. By "they", I am referring to parents, teenagers, tourists, etc that are just looking for a good quality camera for everyday occasions and vacations. A mirrorless gives you almost equivalent image quality, equivalent flexibility with different lens, equivalent control of aperture, shutter, ISO but without all the weight and bulk. Remember the best camera is the one in your hand. Sony NEX and Olympus EPL are great mirrorless cameras. I lean toward Olympus because you have more choices in lens since you can get Panasonic lens too. The lens are also smaller than the Sony ones. But it will be hard to get a mirrorless for $300 as they are the new trend now.

Just want to add a little story here.

I sold my sister my D90 2 years ago. Also sold her a wide angle, a macro, and a mid zoom lens. She rarely used it because she doesn't like switching lens, doesn't have a purse big enough to carry all that gear, and kept shooting at f2.8 and wondering why her pictures are soft and out of focus. She gave me back everything, got herself an Olympus EPL-5, and now plaster her facebook with pictures of food, her dog, her nights out, her vacations, her selfies, everything. And her pictures now look way better than they did with the D90.

She rarely used it because she doesn't like switching lens, doesn't have a purse big enough to carry all that gear...

I can see that.

For many (like me), an advanced compact would be even more convenient to carry, while still providing acceptable photos that are much better than a typical point and shoot (you might be surprised). I think it primarily comes down to sensor size (image quality) and lens capabilities (like aperture and zoom). If she needs better image quality (IQ) than an advanced compact can provide, or if the fixed lens doesn't have the capabilities she wants, then a mirrorless camera is probably a good way to go. It's a trade off between size (convenience) and capabilities (like zoom and IQ).

Just pointing out some considerations, but we all have our biases. A good camera is a nice luxury to have. I think she's really going to like whatever you get her. :)

I can see that.

For many (like me), an advanced compact would be even more convenient to carry, while still providing acceptable photos that are much better than a typical point and shoot (you might be surprised). I think it primarily comes down to sensor size (image quality) and lens capabilities (like aperture and zoom). If she needs better image quality (IQ) than an advanced compact can provide, or if the fixed lens doesn't have the capabilities she wants, then a mirrorless camera is probably a good way to go. It's a trade off between size (convenience) and capabilities (like zoom and IQ).

My sister had a Canon S95 too. She wasn't satisfied with the image quality in low light. With the EPL5, she slaps on the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, and she gets amazing pictures with it.

My sister had a Canon S95 too. She wasn't satisfied with the image quality in low light. With the EPL5, she slaps on the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, and she gets amazing pictures with it.

That's a relevant and valid observation. However, the LX7 that I suggested supports f/1.4 at 24mm to f/2.3 at 90mm whereas the S95's aperture was f/2 to f/4.9. Plus the S95 had an earlier processor which probably made it noisier at higher ISO settings. This means that the LX7 should be better than the S95 in low light. I'm not saying that the LX7 is superior or equal to the Olympus E-PL5 (with its Micro Four Thirds sensor) and the Panasonic 20mm lens, just that it's decent, small, and might be a good fit.

The LX7 is a $319 compact, while the E-PL5 is a mirrorless that sells for $599 with zoom lens. If you raise the budget, there are more compacts to choose from, but the LX7 fit the original price target. As you can tell, I might be biased towards fixed lens advanced compacts. However, I realize that they aren't a good fit for everyone.

Hey psychosis and ninjamyst, what do you guys think of the

Olympus PEN E-P3 w/ kit lens for $379: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058PL9RK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0058PL9RK&linkCode=as2&tag=wizzleytokyonights7-20'>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058PL9RK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0058PL9RK&linkCode=as2&tag=wizzleytokyonights7-20

Panasonic G5 w/ kit lens for $399:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MB71IS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008MB71IS&linkCode=as2&tag=wizzleytokyonights7-20'>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MB71IS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008MB71IS&linkCode=as2&tag=wizzleytokyonights7-20

Panasonic GX1 body for $380:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00604YTFM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00604YTFM&linkCode=as2&tag=wizzleytokyonights7-20'>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00604YTFM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00604YTFM&linkCode=as2&tag=wizzleytokyonights7-20

So, I did a lot of digging on the cameras you've linked. Apparently I have a decent gut on the subject, the Panasonic G5 got rave reviews. I did stumble across the samsung lines of mirrorless cameras, the most interesting feature being the 20.3 megapixel APS-C sensor. What do you think of this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CEH9NFU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1383198802&sr=8-4π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I'm not sure if the NX series lenses are any good, but the internet seems to like the pancake lenses...

Doesn't seem to be many actual reviews on the Samsung (seems like lots of reposting of marketing material). However, here's a quick one: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx1000_review/conclusion/

IDK, the sensor is pretty large, that's good. The price has been discounted too. However, the kit lens doesn't have image stabilization, which is too bad. The optional 30mm lens (f/2) is brighter than the kit lens, and people seem to be happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-30mm-Pancake-Series-Cameras/dp/B003FWLGIK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383202621&sr=8-4&keywords=Samsung+nx+lens Then all you'd be missing is a (50-200mm) telephoto zoom lens.

The black one is $20 cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NX1100-Digital-Camera-20-50mm/dp/B00CHRL4DG/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1383204339&sr=8-39&keywords=Samsung+nx+lens Wish I could offer more words of wisdom.

Doesn't seem to be many actual reviews on the Samsung (seems like lots of reposting of marketing material). However, here's a quick one: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx1000_review/conclusion/'>http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samsung_nx1000_review/conclusion/

IDK, the sensor is pretty large, that's good. The price has been discounted too. However, the kit lens doesn't have image stabilization, which is too bad. The optional 30mm lens (f/2) is brighter than the kit lens, and people seem to be happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-30mm-Pancake-Series-Cameras/dp/B003FWLGIK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383202621&sr=8-4&keywords=Samsung+nx+lens'>http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-30mm-Pancake-Series-Cameras/dp/B003FWLGIK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383202621&sr=8-4&keywords=Samsung+nx+lens Then all you'd be missing is a (50-200mm) telephoto zoom lens.

The black one is $20 cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NX1100-Digital-Camera-20-50mm/dp/B00CHRL4DG/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1383204339&sr=8-39&keywords=Samsung+nx+lens'>http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NX1100-Digital-Camera-20-50mm/dp/B00CHRL4DG/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1383204339&sr=8-39&keywords=Samsung+nx+lens Wish I could offer more words of wisdom.

You've offered plenty as is good sir. I actually read a few reviews on the NX 60mm macro, and watched a few videos. Mind=blown. It costs twice what the NX1100 does, which is how it's supposed to be iirc. The other big perk is the inclusion of Lightroom 4, and the wifi capabilities are kind of neat. My biggest beef is the lack of a view finder, and the lack of image stabilization. You can use your smart phone as a view finder when the two are connected, which is odd, but certainly counts as "something." Further research is required. Maybe you know, is a 1/4000 shutter speed as good as the advertisements make it out to be?

Maybe you know, is a 1/4000 shutter speed as good as the advertisements make it out to be?

Haven't really read through the marketing. It would have to be a sunny day with the kit lens wide open to use it, but I can see that being useful.

You've offered plenty as is good sir. I actually read a few reviews on the NX 60mm macro, and watched a few videos. Mind=blown. It costs twice what the NX1100 does, which is how it's supposed to be iirc. The other big perk is the inclusion of Lightroom 4, and the wifi capabilities are kind of neat. My biggest beef is the lack of a view finder, and the lack of image stabilization. You can use your smart phone as a view finder when the two are connected, which is odd, but certainly counts as "something." Further research is required. Maybe you know, is a 1/4000 shutter speed as good as the advertisements make it out to be?

PM sent.

As far as a 1/4000 shutter speed, in real world applications, you won't see one unless you are using lenses that shoot f/1.4 or faster. Apart from that, and lens slower than f/1.4 at ISO100 will be able to meet your needs. At those speeds, it is is more a case of over-exposing (the image) than motion blur.

The Samsung NX series is an APS-C sized sensor that incorporates a Samsung-specific lens mount. Only NX series lenses will work here, and as far as I know, only Samsung lenses will work. I don't even think Sigma makes lenses for this mount, but that's just to my knowledge. The Panasonic or Olympus m4/3 systems will offer a larger selection of lenses. Viewfinders are only featured on higher end ILC's, but I believe Olympus and Panasonic have EVF's that will take the hot shoe mount. They are rather costly, but they work, if a viewfinder is a necessity.

As far as Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras go, I would avoid both. The Nikon 1 series is lacking in the image quality department, while the Canon M has terrible autofocus. The Nikon 1 sensor is smaller than m4/3 cameras, and lacks in low light image quality, lens selection, and will lack the terrific shallow DOF that is normally associated with larger sensor formats. Canon's mirrorless offering, the Canon M, is just terribly slow when it comes to autofocus. At this point, I would avoid both.

Good luck!

All right, after a metric crap ton of research, I'm going with the Panasonic G5. I really appreciate everyones input again, it's been a long and bumpy road from my initial Canon T3i plans.

I all ready know she's going to be excited, unfortunately I think she knows exactly what I'm going to get her...now to let the string of "little white lies" fly.

Archived