Cultivated Reef

Good $400-$500 Camera?

Paandemonium

Plus about 400 for a decent macro. Those kits aren't the best, unless you just want to take general shots in good light, that may or may not be sharp and in focus. All the extra's are cheap chinese plastic non-sense.

A refurb body and refurb macro would be a far better approach for reefing.

it is a refurb body and a 70 - 300 mm macro lens. Isn't that what is needed?

It's not a true macro lens. For self tank shots I think these types are ok, but they're nowhere the quality of a good 1:1 macro lens. Also, since this one is telephoto you typically have to be 2 or 3 feet away with a tripod to use the macro feature on a fish tank. Better off finding a ~55 - 80mm lens with a macro feature and not a huge zoom lens if you want to use the quasi-macro type of lens.

Bodies are cheap and go obsolete fast, I'd look for a good used body from C N or P. And buy a used macro, from a third party maker like tamron. The thing is all macros are good, the third party macros are in the same class as the brand names, so if its macro you want to do, shop for your lens and find a suitable body afterward, and save money for a tripod and cable release. (come in handy for macro, a ring flash if your into shooting really tiny bugs and things)

Yes a 1:1 ratio macro of course, forget telephoto macro, that's just fine for flowers and things outdoors but not really small close subjects like in a tank. Macro is on my list, like many other things :)

I own a Nikon d5100 and absolutely adore it. Don't worry as much about the megapixels as much as the size of the sensor. Large sensor size equals more light passing through the shutter at one time equals crisp pictures and action shots.

A decent macro for Canon would be the 100 2.8 Non-IS which is often sold used or refurb between 375-425. The L version fetches closer to 800 in the same category.

Nikon has similar, as do all the third-party players that are usually cheaper but not as consistent or sharp (YMMV).

Archived