ReefCleaners.org

Good $400-$500 Camera?

Paandemonium

Any suggestions? I dont need a workhorse but I'm getting bored of my powershot SX50 HS, I'd like something I could put a macro lens on and go crazy around the tank with

I would think a t2i, and 100 f2.8 non IS could serve you well for cheap. Though, it requires more reading and practice than reefing to get stunning images consistently. I know because I have been chasing them for the past ~6-7 months.

Your budget for a body is sufficient, but double it for a good macro too.

I just bought a Nikon d3100 and have to say that I'm really excited. I can only recommend it. I've just started playing with macro myself, but have been able to get pretty decent results with a Nikkor micro 55mm f3.5, which you should be able to get second hand at a good price. You can see some pics in my thread. I'm a complete noob, so with practice you should be able to do way better :)

Photography made me sell my tank, so be warned. It's a slippery slope. Google POTN. Read. You know it works if your still on here.

Buy used as a beginner. (And as a pro for lenses)

Look up my camera search thread it's on here, though I am about ready to upgrade already it's useful and pertinent.

I would think a t2i, and 100 f2.8 non IS could serve you well for cheap. Though, it requires more reading and practice than reefing to get stunning images consistently. I know because I have been chasing them for the past ~6-7 months.

Your budget for a body is sufficient, but double it for a good macro too.

Agreed, the budget is a bit tight.

My advice would be to get a good macro lens and then the body you can afford, ultimately the lens is much more important than which body you attach it too, especially with the cameras that are coming out now, they are all capable of producing excellent results. Some good lenses are Canon 100mm or 60mm, Nikkor 105mm or 60mm, Tamron 90mm.

$400-500 is a very tight budget, that's the price (if that) of the macro lens alone if you are looking to buy new. With that said, if you're willing to go 2nd hand on eBay, don't discount the Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro; It's a very capable lens, the focus might not be the fastest but I prefer to manual focus for macro anyway... and it's very sharp; you should be able to pick one up relatively cheaply and then spend the rest on a body.

Another idea would be to get a 50mm, the 1.8's are in the region of $100 and then get an extension kit. Again, focus is slow but results are good.

Oh, in that case just pick whatever you want. We just got my dad a Canon T3i for pretty cheap and he loves it to death.

I've heard good things about it, is it Withers approved?

Has my stamp of approval :P

But really, anything you buy will work great as long as there are a decent catalog of lenses to choose from. Pretty much all entry-level bodies will act exactly the same. They'll be fine for photos with a decent amount of light and they'll struggle with low-light scenarios.

Looks like amazon has the T3i + 18-55 (non-STM) kit for 450$, at that price, I'd buy it over the t4i or t5i. However prices change fairly often. Checkout http://www.canonpricewatch.com/prices/ for price histories and quick comparisons of the major sites. Generally the t3i isn't that cheap compared to the 4i or 5i.

Canon 100mm non-L is what I'd recommend on a macro lens.

What's not noted here is a tripod. Your going to be taking multi-second exposures if you are doing coral macro photograph, so you need something solid here, hand holding won't cut it.

I bought a t2i a few years ago. It's super easy to use and great for anyone, whether you shoot auto or full out raw. Still a very relevant camera. Photoshop Lightroom is where the magic happens though. I'd say it's 100% essential for any photographer. It also helps to get a few good lenses (macros, wide angles, etc). I just posted a few photos taken with my t2i and the stock lens in my thread below. Check them out.

PS: The t2i will be less than a t3i! :P

Photoshop is way too expensive for most hobbyists. I've been wanting to get it for years but could never raise the funds (I'm not a fan of pirating). Lightroom is nearly as good and is a lot cheaper and easier to use though.

I picked up a Pentax K30 before the K50 came out, 6 or so months ago. It was 400, body and lens. I am sure they are cheaper now, since the newer K50 is out. The Pentax has allot of nice features comparable to the more expensive Canon and nikons.

Photoshop is way too expensive for most hobbyists. I've been wanting to get it for years but could never raise the funds (I'm not a fan of pirating). Lightroom is nearly as good and is a lot cheaper and easier to use though.

Photoshop Elements isn't that expensive (sure it not quite the same as the full fledged Photoshop, but it still has some very nice features); otherwise, you can legally download Gimp for free.

Photoshop Elements isn't that expensive (sure it not quite the same as the full fledged Photoshop, but it still has some very nice features); otherwise, you can legally download Gimp for free.

Lmao I love how you added that "legally" part x)

I meant Lightroom. Sorry bout that. I also don't see much use in PS considering its price and the functionality in lightroom.

I got a t2i with a macro lense (Not a true 1:1) for about $400. I like the t2i because it's smaller than the later models and still has a good image sensor and resolution.

I got a t2i with a macro lense (Not a true 1:1) for about $400. I like the t2i because it's smaller than the later models and still has a good image sensor and resolution.

Where? I need a macro lens for my t2i.

Where? I need a macro lens for my t2i.

It was on ebay. It's just the stock 18-55 with the macro adjustment. Should be the same as this one. http://r.ebay.com/76PbVa

Not a great lens but takes decent close-ups for the price.

Would really like this http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_60mm_f_2_8_macro_usm or this: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_100mm_f_2_8_macro_usm if I ever get serious.

It was on ebay. It's just the stock 18-55 with the macro adjustment. Should be the same as this one. http://r.ebay.com/76PbVa

Not a great lens but takes decent close-ups for the price.

Would really like this http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_60mm_f_2_8_macro_usm or this: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_100mm_f_2_8_macro_usm if I ever get serious.

That's what I thought. I assumed when you wrote macro that you meant the 100mm. Oh well.

Archived