Innovative Marine Aquariums

Venkman's reef: New FTS

DrVENKMAN

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds cool :)

How is it going with your file fish?

I was really sorry that mine turned on my coral, they are very cool little fish.

The pygmy filefish is doing great. It is such a stange little fish. It eats anything I feed the tank but still shows no interest in coral.

This fish comes from more temperate waters of Japan and I believe it is not a natural corallivore like most other filefish common in the aquarium trade.

I highly recommend the white spot pygmy file fish that are being captive bred from ORA. I was afraid it would not be able to compete for food but it is a surprisingly aggressive eater for a passive fish. Nothing in the tank seems to bother it and it is very entertaining to watch is drift around in the high flow areas.

That sounds good, glad he is behaving well.

Mine didn't eat any of the food I gave it, it just munched on the aptasia and eventually chalice and micromussa :P

That sounds good, glad he is behaving well.

Mine didn't eat any of the food I gave it, it just munched on the aptasia and eventually chalice and micromussa :P

It was such an interesting looking fish, it was almost worth feeding it a strict diet of high end corals.

Did it at least put a dent in the aptasia population?

It was such an interesting looking fish, it was almost worth feeding it a strict diet of high end corals.

Did it at least put a dent in the aptasia population?

Haha yes it did luckily - although it didn't get them all.

When I get back I'm going to see what I can do, maybe just tackle one at a time with a syringe.

I also really enjoyed the floating around. It was just fun to watch him scooting about and watching you with those funny eyes.

Does yours change colour too?

Haha yes it did luckily - although it didn't get them all.

When I get back I'm going to see what I can do, maybe just tackle one at a time with a syringe.

I also really enjoyed the floating around. It was just fun to watch him scooting about and watching you with those funny eyes.

Does yours change colour too?

It does change colors and patterning frequently but it's colors are not nearly as striking as the harlequin you had. This one changes between silvery gray, tan, white, brown and black. No crazy green or orange hues. But it does have some very weird blue eyes.

It does change colors and patterning frequently but it's colors are not nearly as striking as the harlequin you had. This one changes between silvery gray, tan, white, brown and black. No crazy green or orange hues. But it does have some very weird blue eyes.

That is cool, blue eyes!

I think I had a Seagrass filefish, the Harlequin has dots.

Either way, they are all pretty cute looking.

When do we get more pictures?

That is cool, blue eyes!

I think I had a Seagrass filefish, the Harlequin has dots.

Either way, they are all pretty cute looking.

When do we get more pictures?

I took 10,000 last week and only about 2 came out nicely. I really need a tripod that can support the weight of the giant macro lens. The one I have shakes too much and that was evident in 9,998 of the pictures. I'm will try again once the clam comes in.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Jebao Dp-4 calibrated and in test mode right now, currently dosing RO into an empty graduated cylinder--so far so good. I am excited at the prospect of not having to dose by hand twice a day anymore.

I also have had a full frag rack for the last few months and have been unable to frag anything else in the tank. I finally got fed up today and brought it all to a LFS and traded it all in for store credit. I thought I would get hosed by doing so but I ended up getting some really nice Australian Acros and the dry goods I needed in return... all for stuff I have been sick of looking at. Today was a successfully day in reefing.

Now I am going to fill the frag rack back up with cuttings of the Acros that are currently growing into each other....wait, nope. Sh|t I am out of frag plugs. Back to the store.

I have a Jebao Dp-4 calibrated and in test mode right now, currently dosing RO into an empty graduated cylinder--so far so good. I am excited at the prospect of not having to dose by hand twice a day anymore.

I also have had a full frag rack for the last few months and have been unable to frag anything else in the tank. I finally got fed up today and brought it all to a LFS and traded it all in for store credit. I thought I would get hosed by doing so but I ended up getting some really nice Australian Acros and the dry goods I needed in return... all for stuff I have been sick of looking at. Today was a successfully day in reefing.

Now I am going to fill the frag rack back up with cuttings of the Acros that are currently growing into each other....wait, nope. Sh|t I am out of frag plugs. Back to the store.

Auto dosers are a life changer for sure- I got one for Xmas and can't beleive how I lived without it!

_MG_5249a_zpse5b55ff5.jpg

Tank looks amazing! Great photography too

Do you know if that's what a skinny TSB looks like? I feel like mine has just started looking like this, but maybe it always had that scrunched in look? I only ask because it is currently competing for food with my tangs, and I am trying to figure out if upping feeding is necessary :closedeyes:

It couldn't hurt to feed a tad more, try spot feeding by distracting your tangs with food on one side of the tank and then use a pipette to blow a little food the tsbs way see if that helps, they should have a slender but sausage like body.

Tank looks amazing! Great photography too

Do you know if that's what a skinny TSB looks like? I feel like mine has just started looking like this, but maybe it always had that scrunched in look? I only ask because it is currently competing for food with my tangs, and I am trying to figure out if upping feeding is necessary :closedeyes:

Thank you.

The TSB was a bit on the skinny side when I took this picture. He was getting bullied by a Dottyback, and of all things, a tiny neon goby when I first added it. I was afraid he was not going to make it and tried to get him out of the tank but I could not catch it. Fortunately the aggression only lasted about a week, and it is now an accepted member of the tank and is eating very well.

I agree with what cameron said, try feeding the TSB directly with a pipet.

I'm adding an auto feeder, so hopefully that helps. Can't feed with a pipette even if I wanted to, as I am away from my tank a lot because I am a student. Besides, the TSB is way to skittish to come up to the pipette with those tangs in there. I will attempt to catch it and return it when I'm home next if it doesnt look better

Archived