Coral Vue Hydros

NanoTopia's Micro-Reefs Temperate Pico []

NanoTopia

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely following this thread! Yoshii and I setup a "tide pool" tank in my back yard last month. We have some sculpins, anemones, snails, crabs, shrimps and macro algae. The whole shebang!

What do you plan on putting into your cute little tank?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Definitely following this thread! Yoshii and I setup a "tide pool" tank in my back yard last month. We have some sculpins, anemones, snails, crabs, shrimps and macro algae. The whole shebang!

Hey Nate,

You and Yoshi need to drop by and photograph my temperate system! I need new pics on my website... :)

This is awesome!!

Thanks evan, it's just the beginning really, the ocean is not co-operating with me this month.

Love the video and how clear the water is. I can feel the cold!

Yes, currently 13 Celsius, the water isn't 100% clear, maybe just looks that way. I have removed all filtration (filter pad) for a few days to keep phytoplankton in suspension longer. I have a lot of barnacles and two muscles in the tank. I will do two 80% water changes a week for a while until things become more stable.

Haha, thanks, your project sounds wonderful. The tank is small so everything I put in has to be micro size. I hope to get over to Vancouver Island in January an do some serious tidal pool collecting. Not sure what I will end up with but I would love some small anemones, even a small plumose anemone would be cool. I want the back wall covered with life.

Do you have an FTS?

The tank life is for the most part temporary as I hope to swap it out in January with some more interesting life. I will work on a FTS soon though.

awesome Do you use sea water? How do you feed such a tank?

I am about 2 hours from the ocean so no, I don't use sea water, just salt mix. Feeding is easy, just a few drops of phytoplankton a day and some clam meat for the crabs right now. Not worried about water quality all that much but I will do some 80% changes often for a while. Trying to get the filtration established right now.

Quick iPhone FTS

Just after feeding, the water is rich but the crabs are hiding, LOL.

Can't wait to get some colour in this tank!

11071153365_2cfd945a32_c.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Quick iPhone FTS

Just after feeding, the water is rich but the crabs are hiding, LOL.

Can't wait to get some colour in this tank!

11071153365_2cfd945a32_c.jpg

You were right when you told a reefer, Micro size cutters go in a Micro-Reefs tank.... LOL I just love the display, the gravel and green call my attention.

Patience is going to be key with this little guy!

Keep up the hard work it is paying off! :)

Mr. Microscope

Feeding phytoplankton and clam meat at the moment, day two and everything looks okay. Here is the largest one out and feeding...

Hey NT! Nice crab. I just started feeding my crabs Hikari algae wafers and they love it! Hikari makes a meatier version of it too. Very convenient and easy to remove if they stop eating it.

Question: How do you maintain temp with water changes? Do you have a separate chiller for cooling down fresh saltwater?

Very nice! Love the crabs!

They hide a lot and are strong as an ox, I have watched them move the barnacle rock around the tank with ease.

This is looking so cool!

:wub: Thanks

You were right when you told a reefer, Micro size cutters go in a Micro-Reefs tank.... LOL I just love the display, the gravel and green call my attention.

Patience is going to be key with this little guy!

Keep up the hard work it is paying off! :)

Thanks Mike, I only wish I could have made it over to the island for some collecting this week, now I have to wait, and that may be a good thing really, let the tank establish. I have pods, snails, barnacles, muscles, crabs, seaweed, and who knows what else to get things started. Doing a water change today.

Something else I have realized, phytoplankton, and or any food does not breakdown like in a tropical tank. This means you can dose phytoplankton and it really like just keeping it in the fridge. I like to keep phytoplankton in suspension 24/7, much like the ocean. Also, for now I am experimenting with no filter pad, just letting everything run through the system to feed the 100 barnacles and two muscles.

Right now I have 7000K led over the tank, very bright as I am working on a dimmer for them. It will be interesting to see how the seaweed responds over time to this spectrum. I would like to have some in the tank in the future to help with nutrient control.

I see this tank as being more of a cold water fuge, I think that's really the only way it will work long term. Lots of filter feeders, pods etc should eliminate the need for floss or any other type of filtration, other than water changes.

Hey NT! Nice crab. I just started feeding my crabs Hikari algae wafers and they love it! Hikari makes a meatier version of it too. Very convenient and easy to remove if they stop eating it.

Question: How do you maintain temp with water changes? Do you have a separate chiller for cooling down fresh saltwater?

Good to know Mr.M, I have also thrown some pellets in but not sure if they got any of it. The wafer seems like a good idea.

Answer: Water gets mixed per usual way, then it goes in the freezer for ~1 hour, when it is at 13C it's good to go. Separate chiller is the freezer LOL.

Low Tide

Water Change

11088002644_ffca0be148_c.jpg

Barnacle Feeding

Up Close Video in the Pico

"A barnacle is a type of arthropod belonging to infraclass Cirripedia in the subphylum Crustacea, and is hence related to crabsand lobsters. Barnacles are exclusively marine, and tend to live in shallow and tidal waters, typically in erosive settings. They aresessile (non-motile) suspension feeders, and have two nektonic (active swimming) larval stages. Around 1,220 barnacle speciesare currently known.[1] The name "Cirripedia" is Latin, meaning "curl-footed"." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnacle]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66p3eNtbypU

Reef Nutrition Phytoplankton

Phyto Feast

11088773213_1a9026cd74_c.jpg

This is what I am feeding daily in the tank.

AquaticEngineer

Looking good! Check the splash pools in the upper tidal zones next time you are out and I bet you can find a bunch of tigriopus californicus in them to start propagating as a food source! My cultures all bloom out with phyto-plankton and I just dump the food into tanks as necessary. Super easy and free!

jedimasterben

VINTAGE BIN... 2 x Cree 3w Cool white, and 2x Cree 3w Blue. Does the job. (Just for you Ben :lol: )

Oh come on, if you would have told me they'd be COOL white I'd send you some neutrals!

Oh come on, if you would have told me they'd be COOL white I'd send you some neutrals!

You can still send them Ben, and anything else you would like :P

So the two smallest crabs have found out how to get into the back chamber by squeezing through the overflow teeth. So I made a mesh screen just under the overflow in the back to keep the crabs from getting down to the bottom. Now they just go there to eat the food that is suck in it then crawl back into the display, suits me just fine :)

No food chunks on the screen, no crab, LOL.

11176143416_d54de2c021_c.jpg

the specific gravity changes with the temp…. so do you just check salinity, or how do you know the amount of salt is needet for your tankÂ…Â…just curious abut it :o

Very cool tank! Looking forward to see what is in store for later.

-Dave

Thanks Dave, going to add some more interesting life in the new year.

the specific gravity changes with the temp…. so do you just check salinity, or how do you know the amount of salt is needet for your tank……just curious abut it :o

Milwaukee Digital Refractometer MA887

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of algae right now, just haven't had time to attend to it as much as I would like. Crabs are alive along with everything else I can see. I am really looking forward to finding some interesting life for the tank in January.

Hey Christine, read through the whole thread. If you would like I could collect a couple pieces for you, live in Campbell River on the east coast of vancouver island about a block from the ocean. Right now baby scallops are around as well as grunt sculpins, I also know where theres some strawberry anemones and plumose anemones. If you want pm me and I can share more details.

• 3 weeks later...

Life!

Doesn't look like I will make it over to Vancouver Island until January. The lower tides do not work in my favour for the next few weeks, difficult to collect in the dark. So I went locally in Vancouver and picked up a small barnacle rock, 2 muscles, seaweed, and some shore crabs so I would have something to look at for a while, better than nothing. Feeding phytoplankton and clam meat at the moment, day two and everything looks okay. Here is the largest one out and feeding...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEq5TcS0flo

so beautiful and totally Kanuk, love this!

Archived