Cultivated Reef

Anatomy of a Nano

Wolf

Well, the tanks aren't finished. #*$@$'in LFS.

So, I told them to just do the display, which means that I can be more flexible with the rest of the set-up. I really like the 29's, even though they're not really nano's. Maybe I'll just use the 10 that they're drilling for the fuge, or maybe I'll just use it for a hospital tank with a sump and no fuge.

Anyway, I got all of the tools I'll need for drilling my own holes and cutting my own acrylic this weekend. I was a little hesitant to do that at first, but I think I'll go ahead and give it a whirl. Worst case scenario is that I waste a $9 tank. If this hobby takes off the way I think it's going to, I'll be drilling lots of holes and making lots of overflows and baffles in the future!

So Korbin. Did everyone agree that this last diagram of yours is the best, as far as using three seperate tanks for the display, sump, and fuge?

Thanks,

Wolf!

Except for the person who suggested putting an extra drain line on, I personally think the last drawing would be best. Anyone else?

Putting the 'fuge up top would be the best bet for getting pods to your tank unharmed. But it might also be fugly.

Wolf, i think the reason all the fish tank stands are as low as they are (well, besides the companies want to save money) is so that when someone sits down, they have a clear view into the tank.

If its as high as you are thinking about building it, you most likely won't be able to see the whole tank if you were sitting down.

Just a thought.

~

Also - corals look poopier when you're looking at them from a low angle. Ever notice all those nice top-down shots?

Don't get discouraged. Better to figure out all this stuff now.

Well, "poopy" is definately NOT the look I'm going for. lol

Okay, so let me just ask it this way. What would be the best way to plumb (is that word?) up 3 10 gallon tanks in order to make a display, sump, and fuge? Maybe have the fuge totally isolated, with just a few little extra pumps, one from the sump, and the other to the display? So effectively, there would be two returns into the display, one from the sump, and one from the fuge, responsible for two completely different things?

There's a few reasons I want to do it this way. One obviously for aesthetics, and the other, so that I can sort of plug and play them. In other words, say may sump springs a leak and I have to replace it. I'll still have a fuge, and vice versa. Or say I want to make my display bigger, then I'll just need a larger sump, or I might not be getting enough out of my fuge and decide to make it a little bigger, I won't have to do anything with the sump.

Is this reasonable logic?

Thanks again for all of your advice!

Wolf

Originally posted by Wolf

plumb (is that word?)

yes:happy:

Making it serviceable is a good idea. Two returns coming from the main tank would have to be perfectly level with eachother though. Otherwise water would flow down one and not the other, I think. (should be easy to make them level. Just put an elbow and leave it loose so you can turn it within the tank.)

I think whatever you put together, you will find a way to make it work. I don't think anybody is totally happy with their setup down the road.

You've got all the parts. If you screw up, you only have to replace $8 tanks and drill new ones. Maybe just experiment with i.

• 2 weeks later...

Gees. I just got off the phone with the LFS that had my tanks. One hole is drilled in one tank. No overflows. I've been waiting for nearly three weeks. I told them I'd pick it up. It's a good thing I'm patient! lol...

Watch out for when the power shuts off to the pump. The sump has to have room for all the water stacked up in the above 2 tanks. The first picture with the pump line going to both tanks will allow the top tank to drain into the second tank. Since this is to be Plug and Play... Just setup the diaplay and sump. Get that working and plug and play the fuge later.

Archived