ReefCleaners.org

Shallow Frag Tank - a DIY adventure - New Scape & Pics! Pg 4

RnMB1988

Woa, whatcha cooking up ova there. R u skinning your frag tank stand?
Is that the same truck that was in the start of your thread?

I was visiting a fellow reefer friend and helped him set up a new display tank. When we were done with his new tank we were talking about the old tank he replaced with this new tank, he said he was going to throw it away, or if I wanted it I could have it. So I was like, your not throwing away a perfectly good tank just because it has some bowed sides and you a nice new shiny glass tank to replace it with...LOL.So we threw it in my car and off I went on a new adventure. Since I have dumped LOTS of $$ into my Cardiff tank I decided, out necessity mostly, that this would be a penny pinching budget build. So here we go:Tank - FREE - now thats penny pinching!!! Its a 20x20x8 acrylic tank. [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00614_zps1717d866.jpg] Stand - I got a hold of a bar height table and chairs for $20, the chairs were in bad shape, but the table was in OK shape.[img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/IMG_1110_zps8d605218.jpg] I started by taking everything apart, made a plan to make a stand with a sump under tank set up, and started in. [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00622_zps243a8ff0.jpg] [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00623_zps6eeda799.jpg] [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00618_zps251fe399.jpg] [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00620_zpsd3602d38.jpg] [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00624_zps9426a6b4.jpg] [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00625_zps40eb8418.jpg] And this is where I am at today. I still need to make the and attach the shelf for the sump. The sump tanks is pictured just for reference. [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00629_zpse3bfd5db.jpg] [img=http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t639/rcgliderguy/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC00628_zpscae62659.jpg]
Dayum! Nice bike man. Now to read the rest of the thread. :)
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the same truck that was in the start of your thread?

:lol: Good memory bro! Yea he stole my Ford pick up. He was supposed to trade me for his Ducati. But i'm still waiting for him to deliver my bike :D

J/K I guess we have similar tailgates

:lol: Good memory bro! Yea he stole my Ford pick up. He was supposed to trade me for his Ducati. But i'm still waiting for him to deliver my bike :D

J/K I guess we have similar tailgates

I just remember that white truck and the poly tanks sitting behind a warehouse. I thought you were in the lawncare business :).

Dayum! Nice bike man. Now to read the rest of the thread. :)

Thank you! That is my baby, and a BLAST to ride!!

Spoiler Alert!

So the mod is to replace the T-5 light over the tank with an LED light. Why? Well I am not getting the growth I would like, no...... wait....... I am not getting ANY growth with the T-5! I know I could save some $ buy replacing the bulbs, but I am so happy with my AI Hydra on the Cardiff that I decided to use LED on this one too. I have a Reef Radiance DM-155e on the way! It was on sale for $159 shipped, and that includes a wire hanging kit! I know this is over kill, but so what, have you ever driven an underpowered car....keep wishing you would have paid for the engine upgrade...... I will just run it a little lower in power and hang it a little higher!

Here is a link to there very cost effective lighting, I will do a mini review on the box opening and set up as well as continuous performance reports as in the status of the tank ;)

http://reefradiance.com/dm-155e.html

Im going to cover the addition of my new light starting with building of the support, which as you have seen in the last few posts was yet another DIY adventure.

Simple enough, I made the rear skirt that I would screw the light support to, stained it to match the stand.

in this pic is the skirt unseated and the light support, unpainted.

CAAE2E6A-DC90-4CA5-8A79-1AD288FAAE60_zps

The Light support is a 1/2 inch diameter steel tube I got a Home Depot in the closet section, it is supposed to be a hangar bar, but today its a light support. It was very inexpensive, $10 for the 4' bar that I cut 6" off and attached to the front of the curved piece in order to extend the reach. The curved piece was $5, left over can of Rustolium "hammered" black paint $0, some screws that I had on hand, another $0, $2 for an end cap to make it look "purdy" and about 3 hours total time

Here is the pic of it installed, I only had red zip ties, so they will get changed out when I get some black ones.

GOPR0055_zps2b458f8f.jpg

GOPR0063_zps59924ef1.jpg

Another angle of the light installed.

GOPR0064_zps534a6f57.jpg

GOPR0065_zps272310c9.jpg

GOPR0066_zpsdc3c9d6b.jpg

And lastly, some new coral! My fist Acan, and a small Purple Brush Gorgonian, also my fist piece of this type coral. I will be transferring them to my Cardiff when I complete a small project I am planning on over there.

GOPR0070_zpsbf79a015.jpg

I will do an un-boxing review of the new light with my first impressions tomorrow!!

TTFN!! :D

This is my unboxing and initial thoughts on the Reef Radiance DM-155e that I am now using to light the Shallow Frag Tank.

The shipping was fast, I had the light in 4 days! the box is a box!

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/A290DB73-69CB-49AB-B568-B8DFC204CBD9_zpsichgdixj.jpg.html'>A290DB73-69CB-49AB-B568-B8DFC204CBD9_zps

Its whats inside that counts so....

On the inside was lots of good foam to protect the light in all sides, a simple but effective hanging kit, two power cords and some literature.

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/FF96A162-A935-4F83-B0CF-9E9F2FCF1A1B_zps6dk7wj8h.jpg.html'>FF96A162-A935-4F83-B0CF-9E9F2FCF1A1B_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/2DDF3C82-1C87-4B5A-B2E2-DDED87907756_zpskxfhbhv4.jpg.html'>2DDF3C82-1C87-4B5A-B2E2-DDED87907756_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DDDDCF8F-E757-435D-A0CF-979718AF5E81_zpsi3hq8cqj.jpg.html'>DDDDCF8F-E757-435D-A0CF-979718AF5E81_zps

So lets discuss the accompanying literature. A business card - good thinking, A product brochure for there Seneye products (I need to look at this product, it seems interesting) and the one I want to focus a little on, the 23 point inspection!

This inspection sheet is 23 items that are checked before the light is shipped to you, what I found interesting is that it makes you realize that the lights are not assembled from where they are shipped to you. It took me reading the sheet to realize that the units are assembled at an unknown location, shipped to Reef Radiance, where they open the box, complete this inspection and then ship the light to you. Now don't get me wrong, I think its a very good business move to do this, I guess that I thought that they were building the lights and shipping from that location (in the US), so these may very well be assembled overseas (read China) and again, I am not knocking that...but.

So you know what my experience level with LED lights is, I have been running a AI Hydra on my other tank since July of this year, that is it. :)

My first impression of this light is, its BIG! (compared to the Hydra) it has three fans and is in an all metal housing. It looks good! I plugged it in to see what it looks like powered up, it BRIGHT too! B)

After assembling my DYI support fixture, I slid the hook of the hanging kit over the bar with the light attached, the 1/2 inch tube is plenty strong for the 10 lbs of the light. I got all the power cords plugged in and zip tied into place and hit the power buttons with the light on low power. I guess I should mention I have the light at 10" above the water. It lights up the entire 20x20 tank with ease! ;)

So for now my impression is a favorable one, keep checking back to see what kind of growth I am getting and how this unit is performing. Here is a link to the product page with all the specs if you are interested or curious.

http://reefradiance.com/dm-155e.html

The light is working good, I am trying to dial it in. Of note I stated above that it covered the entire tank, well I am going to change my tune a little, the edges are a little dim, I may raise this up 2' and see how that looks.

I have been busy over the lass several days. I did not like the scape in my other tank so I changed it, for the better I might add, but that also made change this one around too! I also started playing with actually fraging some of my coral. So with out any further delay.....the PIC'S!!

GOPR0072_zpsbbca8ef1.jpg

GOPR0071_zpsd14f7d07.jpg

GOPR0074_zpsa653ec2c.jpg

GOPR0077_zpsacb51820.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

How is the noise level of your new Reef Radiance light? I am considering the DM132e.

Thank You!

It does have more noise than my AI Hydra, but then again it has 3 fans vs 1 on the Hydra. All in all I will call it acceptable. If you cannot tolerate much noise, this may push your limits.

One other note. I have turned off the white LED's, they were bleaching the coral, I even raised the light up another 3 inches. I am now running the blues at about 50% with no white. Corals are doing well.

• 3 weeks later...

bump.gif this sh!t! Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo br, you still alive and reefing or did that Friday night kill you :lol: That was some good times fo sho!

Thsi new light mod is sik!! Cant wait t o see that in person. Pretty crafty ova there mr diy guy. I like how u roll. Any new updates :D

• 3 months later...

I went to the local (El Paso TX) reef club meeting last Saturday, the host has several tanks full of live rich that had been flown in from Florida or the Caribbean. This stuff was totally packed with life!!! He was selling it for $10 per lb, but before you gasp, better look at what kind of life is packed on this stuff.

DSC01110_zpsda1cd199.jpg

DSC01106_zpsdd5722ae.jpg

DSC01117_zpse0e39f5d.jpg

DSC01109_zpsbd9896ef.jpg

Pretty nice stuff. There is two clams on one piece, there are two corals on the back of the clam which is right next to the large brain or what ever it is on the right side of the pic. Some Zoa's, Smooth Flower coral.....

DixieReefer was also at the meeting an got a piece, she found this GREAT site to help identify the life that came with the rocks. http://reefguide.org/carib/smoothflowercoral.html

Thanks Dixie!! Love Ya girl!!

Here are a couple of shot of the rest of the frag tank, which is in a state of disarray since the rocks are so big..... Im going to have to rock scape again........

DSC01123_zps0ec6c340.jpg

DSC01126_zps733e92a9.jpg

DSC01128_zpsb721106b.jpg

DSC01130_zpsfd5bfac0.jpg

Thanks for stopping in, be sure to check out my new build thread of a 50 G Cube - Hexahedron Heaven in the members tanks area.

;)

Looks good man. Nice score on the rock too, looks like theres a ton of life!!!!

Are you still rocking the reef radiance on this tank, if so what are your thoughts now that its been a few months?

Sik rock man! Kinda like russian roulette though. As much of a pita as these fw and different strains of nuisance algaes i've been battling in the pony tank, makes me wonder if there's anything on that rock that you wouldn't want in your display long term.. But i'm sure you inspected the crap out of it though. Plus having it located in your frag tank for further inspection is great. But after seeing some of the awesome hitchhiking corals and nice display algaes you scored on it, who am i kidding, i'd bought to!

I see the behbe plates are coming along nicely :naughtydance:

Looks good man. Nice score on the rock too, looks like theres a ton of life!!!!

Are you still rocking the reef radiance on this tank, if so what are your thoughts now that its been a few months?

Thanks for stopping in Chris.

I am still running the reef radiance. It is a very good light for the money, very powerful, I am only running 50% blue and minimum on the white, the light is 16 inches above the water, 22 inches from the bottom of the tank. I run the two light channels with timers and by adding the moon lights this has become just as nice as my AI Hydra, its just missing some of the bells and whistles, but I saved a good $300 bucks doing it this way. So really it becomes a money thing, If I could have afforded more light at the time I might have gone that route, but this is also a budget DIY build, so it kept it in the theme of showing that you don't HAVE to spend a tone of $$ to do this.....wow that was long.....LOL

Sik rock man! Kinda like russian roulette though. As much of a pita as these fw and different strains of nuisance algaes i've been battling in the pony tank, makes me wonder if there's anything on that rock that you wouldn't want in your display long term.. But i'm sure you inspected the crap out of it though. Plus having it located in your frag tank for further inspection is great. But after seeing some of the awesome hitchhiking corals and nice display algaes you scored on it, who am i kidding, i'd bought to!

I see the behbe plates are coming along nicely :naughtydance:

Dude, your are spot on, if I had not been able to look at this stuff for 3 hours I would not have purchased it just out of fear! Dixie has found a web page that shows all the different stuff from down there and I have been able to identify almost everything I can see! So far I don't see anything bad, its only been two weeks, but I think I got some some good stuff!!! She got a piece also and is reporting it is doing well with not pests either, but her little mantis shrimp has gone MIA....

The Baby plates are doing great, I popped off the two larger ones cause they were starting to choke out the others, I am feeding them every third day.

Thanks for stopping in Chris.

I am still running the reef radiance. It is a very good light for the money, very powerful, I am only running 50% blue and minimum on the white, the light is 16 inches above the water, 22 inches from the bottom of the tank. I run the two light channels with timers and by adding the moon lights this has become just as nice as my AI Hydra, its just missing some of the bells and whistles, but I saved a good $300 bucks doing it this way. So really it becomes a money thing, If I could have afforded more light at the time I might have gone that route, but this is also a budget DIY build, so it kept it in the theme of showing that you don't HAVE to spend a tone of $$ to do this.....wow that was long.....LOL

Glad to hear you like it and think highly of it I have been considering picking some up myself which was why I was asking. The bells and whistles are nice but I can live without them for what I'm looking at these for as well so thanks for being more in depth then a simple yup I like em lol :)

Glad to hear you like it and think highly of it I have been considering picking some up myself which was why I was asking. The bells and whistles are nice but I can live without them for what I'm looking at these for as well so thanks for being more in depth then a simple yup I like em lol :)

Cool, Glad I could help!! Thats part of what I'm here for! Do you know which one you are going to get? I chose this one because I could still control the blue and white separately. I added the moonlights after. With there there moonlight included model you loose the ability to control the blue & White separately, it's really to bad they went this route, I know it can be a pain to have three power plugs on one light but I will bet they have lost many sales to this one little over site.

I thought with the lumateks or whatever they are called you could control everything digitally through the on board controller, or are you talking about a different one?

For my needs I will likely just go with the same one you are running. The 155e I think...

I thought with the lumateks or whatever they are called you could control everything digitally through the on board controller, or are you talking about a different one?

For my needs I will likely just go with the same one you are running. The 155e I think...

The Lumentec series lights from Reef Radiance are fully controllable like you said, but the entry price is $300. I did my light for just under $200, plus i had fun doing it, and I even made a DIY video of how to do it...... sheit......thats got to be worth at least twice what I saved....right??? :P

The $300 savage I referd to was over the cost of my AI hydra with the controller and mount.....that was like $550 all together.

You will be happy with the 155e, its a nice light.

The Lumentec series lights from Reef Radiance are fully controllable like you said, but the entry price is $300. I did my light for just under $200, plus i had fun doing it, and I even made a DIY video of how to do it...... sheit......thats got to be worth at least twice what I saved....right??? :P

The $300 savage I referd to was over the cost of my AI hydra with the controller and mount.....that was like $550 all together.

You will be happy with the 155e, its a nice light.

Yeah The lumentecs are fully controllable, which ones are you talking about that you can't control the whites and blues individually? I want to make sure I avoid that for sure!

Yeah DIY is way worth the savings and the fun factor. I saw the video, actually bookmarked it too so I can go back to it later. I don't really need the moonlights but hey never know might get bored and slap on a set :)

Yeah The lumentecs are fully controllable, which ones are you talking about that you can't control the whites and blues individually? I want to make sure I avoid that for sure!

Yeah DIY is way worth the savings and the fun factor. I saw the video, actually bookmarked it too so I can go back to it later. I don't really need the moonlights but hey never know might get bored and slap on a set :)

There DM 55e Moonlight is the one that you cant control the blue and white on separate timers. They use a common power cord. You can still adjust the brightness separately, but not the on off time. They come on together.

Stick with the 155e - add the moonlights later if you want/need them.

There DM 55e Moonlight is the one that you cant control the blue and white on separate timers. They use a common power cord. You can still adjust the brightness separately, but not the on off time. They come on together.

Stick with the 155e - add the moonlights later if you want/need them.

Ok I got ya now lol I've only looked at the 155e and the lumentecs with much actual thought/ consideration lol Thanks again man :)

Ok I got ya now lol I've only looked at the 155e and the lumentecs with much actual thought/ consideration lol Thanks again man :)

No problem!! Glad to help. B)

• 3 months later...

Ok, so if you follow my Hexahedron thread you know I am headed to Japan in a few months, if you don't follow it, you know now!

So here are some updated pics of the Frag Tank!!

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/F6C8EED9-CEF3-4072-863E-6B882927461F_zpsxky8vlbk.jpg.html'>F6C8EED9-CEF3-4072-863E-6B882927461F_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01324_zpsf3089c6d.jpg.html'>DSC01324_zpsf3089c6d.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01325_zps19dac059.jpg.html'>DSC01325_zps19dac059.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01327_zpsc9fb0d83.jpg.html'>DSC01327_zpsc9fb0d83.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01328_zpse4d24984.jpg.html'>DSC01328_zpse4d24984.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01329_zpsbe52d271.jpg.html'>DSC01329_zpsbe52d271.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01330_zps6379e669.jpg.html'>DSC01330_zps6379e669.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01331_zpseb53a170.jpg.html'>DSC01331_zpseb53a170.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01332_zps39776a00.jpg.html'>DSC01332_zps39776a00.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01333_zps4debecc5.jpg.html'>DSC01333_zps4debecc5.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01334_zpsb9eb3a3e.jpg.html'>DSC01334_zpsb9eb3a3e.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01335_zpsd26c5934.jpg.html'>DSC01335_zpsd26c5934.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01336_zpse9191020.jpg.html'>DSC01336_zpse9191020.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01337_zps1dcf1587.jpg.html'>DSC01337_zps1dcf1587.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01338_zps32960f6c.jpg.html'>DSC01338_zps32960f6c.jpg

I hope you have a good time looking at all the growth in the Frag Tank.

Chow!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived