Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How I Modified and Installed a Moonlight LED kit.

RnMB1988

This is a DIY How To, it goes along with my Shallow Nano Reef DIY build thread
here --> Shallow Nano Tank DIY Build

When I purchased the Reef Radiance DM152e light I had to choose between one with or without moonlight. I chose the without because when they added there moonlight they removed the ability to use timers to control the white and blue LED’s. That was a no go for me. So now I have there light with the one power cord for the white and a separate power cord for the blue, they are set on two timers, blue comes on 1 hour before the white and white goes foo one hour before the blue.
Adding the moonlight makes three power cords and timers, but hey it’s a budget build, you have to give somewhere. Now the moonlight comes on 15 min before the blues go out and goes off 15 min after the blues come on.

I made this How to video while I was installing the LED kit I purchased from Steve’s LED’s, but it is the same for any strip LED kit out there. The cost of the kit was about $35 shipped to my door.

This is only the second video I have done using my GoPro Camera so I apologize up front for some of the audio, for one, I cant seem to speak what I want to say, guess its stage fright….LOL and I had no idea that the camera was so sensitive to movement while it was in the waterproof case. The very last segment of this is shot without a case, it is much louder than the rest, so be ready.

Several notes to go along with this video.
Once the LED strips were attached to the light some additional glue is needed on them, the LED started to fall off after about 3 days. I used some hot glue at the corners of each and in the middle and have not had a problem since.

The wire I used as the power wire I got at Home Depot in the electrical section, its just a 4 strand wire that cost 27 cents a foot, I got 10 feet and cut it to what I needed.

I stated in the video that I thought it would take full bright to for this to light the tank, well I was wrong! I am using one click up from the lowest setting, full bright could almost be enough to grow coral!

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to post them.

GOPR0354_zps002b3f37.jpg

GOPR0355_zps310cab99.jpg

Archived