Top Shelf Aquatics

Vintage style digital camera recommendations

Maniu

X100s is out ;) and B&H don't stock X100 anymore but I found one place in the city that sells it for $850. Looks like a camera that would suit me just fine. Was looking at Leica but those are out of my price range.

maybe you should try film cameras…. I got a rollei 35 for 20 bucks (i know it is a verry, very low price for that) perfectly working, at a garage sale.., but on ebay you'll find them für something about 100 bucks with a good f5.5, 40mm Tessar lens.

it is completly mechanic (only the light meter is functioning with px625 batterys, alkaline work fine (on my camera it does)

(a rollei 35T is the same ;) )

so you'd have 900 dollars for film and development, and that's a huge amount…. (and if you don't like it, you can sell it without makeing a loss, so I'd give it a try… it it quite easy to use, you can handle it fully manual, and you can shoot 35mm film… it's great ;)

(and it looks just cool ;) )

Andy

Yeah, that one also caught my eye. I wonder if those vintage look point and shoot have some flexibility as far as interchangeable lenses are concern..... X100 has some great spaces and 4" minimum distance for macro. Not sure what are the latest or best chips these days... Maybe someone can shade some light on it.

maybe you should try film cameras…. I got a rollei 35 for 20 bucks (i know it is a verry, very low price for that) perfectly working, at a garage sale.., but on ebay you'll find them für something about 100 bucks with a good f5.5, 40mm Tessar lens.

it is completly mechanic (only the light meter is functioning with px625 batterys, alkaline work fine (on my camera it does)

(a rollei 35T is the same ;) )

so you'd have 900 dollars for film and development, and that's a huge amount…. (and if you don't like it, you can sell it without makeing a loss, so I'd give it a try… it it quite easy to use, you can handle it fully manual, and you can shoot 35mm film… it's great ;)

(and it looks just cool ;) )

Andy

Love old analogue cameras and I own a few myself however I would like something to take with me on bike trips and just everyday shooting. Simple, fast and reliable with option to upload pics on to-go.

I can tell you first hand that the x100 isn't going to be great for macro purposes, that's just not its focus. If I'm remembering right the lens is only a 35mm equivalent, right? It just doesn't have enough zoom to be effective.

It's a great camera for landscape/cityscape/parties/etc though. Good low light performance, pretty wide lens, large aperture.

I can tell you first hand that the x100 isn't going to be great for macro purposes, that's just not its focus. If I'm remembering right the lens is only a 35mm equivalent, right? It just doesn't have enough zoom to be effective.

It's a great camera for landscape/cityscape/parties/etc though. Good low light performance, pretty wide lens, large aperture.

Thanks for feedback withers

How about other choices in this class range? Perhaps with ability to swap lenses :)

Christopher Marks

Check out the Fuji X Series Forum to learn more about Fujifilm's X Series cameras. The X-M1 or X-A1 will suit your needs quite well, and even better you can adapt all sorts of vintage lenses to the cameras, so you could find an old Pentax macro lens or something similar without spending a fortune. I just adapted a Pentax 50 f/1.7 prime lens to my X-E1 that I found in a vintage shop for $10, and it's great for portraits. Fuji's X Mount is really versatile.

Check out the http://www.fujixseries.com'>Fuji X Series Forum to learn more about Fujifilm's X Series cameras. The X-M1 or X-A1 will suit your needs quite well, and even better you can adapt all sorts of vintage lenses to the cameras, so you could find an old Pentax macro lens or something similar without spending a fortune. I just adapted a Pentax 50 f/1.7 prime lens to my X-E1 that I found in a vintage shop for $10, and it's great for portraits. Fuji's X Mount is really versatile.

Awesome to have the ability to swap lenses from vintage era as well. And super link and info to point one in the right direction. I'll check it out later today after getting few hrs of sleep and get back to you.

Archived