Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bali starfish

jjaro

Heyy i just bought a bali starfish, and idk if this should have went into the beginners forum or not, but is the care standard to that of a astrea snail or hermit crabs, filter feeder type creature? or do i need to do some extensive care for the starfish? its the size of a nickel maybe a lil smaller, and its in my fluval spec. so any input would help :)

thesmallerthebetter

from my understanding they mostly eat micro fauna on the rocks but will accept small bits of food when offered. they cruise around ALOT.

word thanks for that! i heard they like iodine supplement, i have a 2 gallon tank, and im sure any additive would be over kill, i was thinking since i have a bunch of corals, get a all in one coral additive with iodine and add it to a 5 gallon bucket, put less then the recommended for 5 gallons, and use that water for my water changes so it has the nutrients? that a decent idea?

I wouldn't do anything like that. What species of starfish is it? 'bali' starfish doesn't actually mean anything. It will unfortunately die if it is a fromia or linckia star.

what do you mean die? its red and has black dots across its top side, and its the size of a nickel, the lfs had it listed as a bali starfish it looks closest to fromia milleporella

Fromia starfish fail to survive in captive aquaria because there is not enough microfauna to sustain them, especially in a nano aquarium. It will surely die.

Fromia starfish fail to survive in captive aquaria because there is not enough microfauna to sustain them, especially in a nano aquarium. It will surely die.

This. Fromia and linckia starfish are the two most popular in the hobby, and maybe one out of every hundred is able to survive in a very large tank.

1. Seastar, not starfish. They are not fish.

2. Probably best to do your research before you buy.

3. Sounds like a fromia.

seastar, starfish, etc. All are just labels for the same thing. I hate when people try to change the names for things as they see fit. Languages (words) developed in a particular way, leave them alone. Considering English is the most jumbled up language in the world (French, Latin, Anglican, German, and Norse roots + vocab) with several synonyms for the same word i suggest people get over it. Start speaking a different language if you don't like it.

One is a correct label, the other is made-up slang. Going strictly by your own statement above, it seems as if you too don't like it when people use the word 'starfish'.

most websites, if not all list them as starfish, and in the same catagory have seastar labeled as well, i guess its all about the person, dictionary of marine fish, that 50 dollar book you find at fish stores and librarys all label it as starfish, its probably the most common, stop being a nazi.

i found this older forum topic, check it out, im sure he will be okay if i feed it correct?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/287530-bali-red-starfish/

I really don't mind at all. As long as it is an established, historically used term for the object in question, you can call it whatever you like. How could one be correct and the other incorrect if they mean the exact same thing? All words were slang once upon a time so I guess we should stop speaking at all because nothing we say is correct. The term "underwear" would not be correct by your logic as well because sometimes we are wearing only underwear, which would make it outerwear. And when you take underwear off it becomes awear I suppose? Another example is the dialect of "Ebonics" spoken primarily by African-Americans. It is improper to use in a situation in which Modern English is required but is perfectly acceptable in any situation where use of a dialectical language is appropriate. Words are just symbols that trigger our minds to think of images or project sounds reflecting their meaning. You can't really use a scientific standpoint when you are analyzing language, many things won't make sense in that case.

We're talking linguistics, not biology. The term seastar would mean a self-sustaining, radiating, celestial body exists in the water oceans of planet Earth. It's funny because seastar comes up as an incorrect spelling whereas starfish is correct. I guess seastar is the real slang word then, eh?

most websites, if not all list them as starfish, and in the same catagory have seastar labeled as well, i guess its all about the person, dictionary of marine fish, that 50 dollar book you find at fish stores and librarys all label it as starfish, its probably the most common, stop being a nazi.

i found this older forum topic, check it out, im sure he will be okay if i feed it correct?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/287530-bali-red-starfish/

More than likely not. I would return it to the store you purchased it from.

I really don't mind at all. As long as it is an established, historically used term for the object in question, you can call it whatever you like. How could one be correct and the other incorrect if they mean the exact same thing? All words were slang once upon a time so I guess we should stop speaking at all because nothing we say is correct. The term "underwear" would not be correct by your logic as well because sometimes we are wearing only underwear, which would make it outerwear. And when you take underwear off it becomes awear I suppose? Another example is the dialect of "Ebonics" spoken primarily by African-Americans. It is improper to use in a situation in which Modern English is required but is perfectly acceptable in any situation where use of a dialectical language is appropriate. Words are just symbols that trigger our minds to think of images or project sounds reflecting their meaning. You can't really use a scientific standpoint when you are analyzing language, many things won't make sense in that case.

well said!

anddd i guess i will have to hand feed my starfish lol

More than likely not. I would return it to the store you purchased it from.

why dont you think? would it hurt to try? and if not, return it?

One is a correct label, the other is made-up slang. Going strictly by your own statement above, it seems as if you too don't like it when people use the word 'starfish'.

All common names are made up. It's just widely accepted. Scientific names should be used if you are against "slang" on THE most informal reefing forum there is on the internet.

why dont you think? would it hurt to try? and if not, return it?

You won't know if it's working until it dies, which, frankly, is more than likely going to happen, especially if it is unable to forage in the times you are not feeding it.

All common names are made up. It's just widely accepted. Scientific names should be used if you are against "slang" on THE most informal reefing forum there is on the internet.

even scientific names are based on latin roots. it's essentially as if some culture in the future with a different language than ours used our words as "scientific nomenclature". but i agree that latin nomenclature is the universal language for labeling organisms.

jesus christ all this over a starfish, just say what you will, idk why general admiral aladeen tatuaje lame ass had to put his worthless 2 cents in (oxymoron) its not a big deal you nazi! so go put gasoline in your saltwater tank and leave the forum, no one likes you

gotcha, well thanks for that sir

Please, gasoline is a slang word. At the least, refer to it as refined carbon fuel source. You sound barbaric.

Please, gasoline is a slang word. At the least, refer to it as refined carbon fuel source. You sound barbaric.

oh god, what was i thinking.... carbon fuel source fossil fuels... where is the scientific name to be absolutely sure im getting through his nazi shield of correct linguistics ??!!!

Archived