ReefCleaners.org

bali starfish

jjaro

Crazy how quick threads get ruined here...There's always someone to start an argument no matter how weird it is lol.You guys really arguin over sea star vs starfish?to answer the question asked starfish listed as Bali stars at fish stores are normally not reef safe,We get big Bali stars in at work and they eat everything like crabs,snails,corals pretty much everything lol.Hopefully that's not what you have.Could u post a picture?im sure someone can ID it.

A pic is worth 1000 arguments, esp. if the person asking the question doesn't have the proper binomial name for their critter. Lots of folks may roll their eyes at the use of "scientific" names, but the one thing they do is remove all doubt as to which organism is being mentioned.

Add to that the fact that many of the critters kept in the hobby have identical common names, and you can go a bit nuts trying to figure out WHICH one is being discussed...

Just an observation.

http://echinoblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/starfish-or-sea-star-asteroid-5th.html?m=1

Seems to be starfish is better than sea star.

Post a pic of your new little one. I'm excited to see it

well i got to talking with the lfs owners wife, and she told me that alot of people have starfish' for a few months and they die off from starvation, so i asked if i could get some store credit and they agreed, so i dont have the little bugger anymore, but i do have some white star polyps and another mushroom polyp lol

here an off topic question can i have too many corals in my 2 gallon tank?

• 2 weeks later...

Fish - 1. Vertebrates. 2. Have gills.

Explain again how seastars fit either criteria? Thank you, point proven.

I would really like to see an Etymology source which states Sea star as being the correct term. Everything I've seen states that Seastar is a mispelling of Sea Star which is a slang for Starfish which is the common name for Asteroidea.

Etymology or common names do not need to make sense. A "Mantis Shrimp" is neither a Mantid nor a Shrimp, yet we call it a Mantis Shrimp. The same applies to Starfish, a term which originates from the 1500s.

Archived