Cultivated Reef

External flash for fish shots

Lalani

How do you guys do it? I've seen some really nice shots of fish taken with an external flash propped above the surface of the water and they look natural. What is your method?

I tried these.... admittedly after a couple of drinks... and obviously they didn't work out. I've never actually set the ex flash settings and I'm about to read my 430EX's manual for the first time. I used a wired external hot shoe for these. But some guidance would be greatly appreciated. :flower:

IMG_6647_zps69e43b4c.jpg

IMG_6650_zps856c3c6d.jpg

I think I know the secret........ They took those pics sober Lol ;)

Forrealz

[side note: eliminating reflections is the key + buffer over the flash might help)

Reflections aren't a problem. Problem is not ever trying to actually adjust the flash settings, but I just finished reading the manual and am going to try some shots with my new insight!

Tip on the cheap side: make a cardboard tube. Fit it over/around your lens. Lean against the glass as close as possible to reduce reflections. Same goes for the flash. You can use white paper over the flash as a buffer. Increase number of thin paper sheets as needed. Btw I am not a pro but as I remember, those tricks did work......sometimes lol

1st is a good exposure but not liking the angle. 3,4,5 are all nice but just a tad bright on my monitor.

Much improved over the first attempts. Nice shots!

The parents were a pair of wild-caught onyx true percs! Sold them to Fisheye Aquaculture back in '11, not sure if they still have the pair.

A lot of the babies ended up misbarred, but I think that had something to do with an extended period as fry, before hitting meta.

Archived