Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID my clown!

Chew_Magna

I had a mini conversation in another thread with someone about my clown and it got me to thinking I'd like to know what he actually is. I bought him as a mispriced clown for $20 and it was sold to me as a true perc. Judging by what I've read I think it may actually be a perc going by the eye color, he definitely has the orange eye when compared to my ocellaris that a much darker ring around the pupil. Normally I'm not too interested in morphs but I think I'd like to know for sure if it's a snowflake or Picasso or what-not. Going by the ORA site it looks like a snowflake or going on to be a black ice snowflake. He's going on 1.25 or 1.5 inches.

Commence the required blurry ID photos.

Seriously, it's hard to get a good pic of clowns with a phone camera. :wacko:

2VzCkej.jpg

SiQMhyW.jpg

zG9QvYa.jpg

faZtDvj.jpg

tmmjIrh.jpg

Deleted User 4

Yeah, snowflakes have that squiggly pattern, and picasso has more of a puzzle/maze like pattern. But when the patterns don't touch on a picasso clown, it's considered to be a B or C grade picasso. I would place yours under the C class picasso, I've seen b grades and b grades do almost connect which yours does not.

And yes, picasso's do get more black around the whites. Some picassos become totally black except for the white parts. Like this.

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/b3ndaball3r/media/picasso-percula_zpsdf5d9a53.jpg.html'>picasso-percula_zpsdf5d9a53.jpg

Deleted User 4

I don't see where you're seeing a puzzle/maze type pattern on it then. All I see is the squiggly snowflake pattern. :-(

Lol, picasso doesn't have to be puzzle like, especially semi-picasso. I can guarantee you though that your clown is not worth as much as you think it is. I see those kinds going for around $30. But since you got it for $20, that isn't too bad. :)

Meet me in the middle and we'll call it a moderately snowflakish picasso? :D

Oh I don't give a crap how much it's worth, I won't be selling it off or anything. He's mine!

Deleted User 4

Meet me in the middle and we'll call it a moderately snowflakish picasso? :D

Nope I can't. Because I've seen semi-picassos for sale at my lfs. Yours look just like it. You should've started this thread under fish forum not here lol. :)

Deleted User 4

Bah. The fish told me to post it here. He wants to know his heritage.

He has a British accent, does that help?

Yeah that helps lol.

Anyone else have knowledge on identifying this clown whether it's a semi-picasso or not? Definitely not a snowflake. Most snowflakes look similar or close to one another. This one is not close at all.

Picasso's come in all kinds of patterns. They're all always different.

Makes sense. Like I said before I was basing it off the pics on ORA, all their picasso clowns have really smooth borders with bars that are connecting or almost connecting whereas the snowflakes have the more splattery/broken borders like mine.

Deleted User 4

Makes sense. Like I said before I was basing it off the pics on ORA, all their picasso clowns have really smooth borders with bars that are connecting or almost connecting whereas the snowflakes have the more splattery/broken borders like mine.

Type in semi picasso on google.

That's an example of semi-picasso. Yours looks close to this.

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/b3ndaball3r/media/bigpoppa_lilkim_picasso_a_zpsf0317997.jpg.html'>bigpoppa_lilkim_picasso_a_zpsf0317997.jp

But yeah I understand where you're coming from. But as a reminder it's not a snowflake. Besides both prices of a snowflake and semi-picasso are relatively close to each other, so you should be happy that it's semi-picasso. :)

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-900&va=semi+picasso+clown

Lol, it's so confusing to me because so many of both morphs look really close to the same to me. But I understand it's just like the zoa naming madness, when it comes down to it they're all (mostly) the same. It just depends on how much you want to pay for that fancy pair of shoes.

gulfsurfer101

Some nice misbars, but if your looking for the real deal, I can get you a pair straight from a breeder for what you're gonna pay online with out shipping. The guy I deal with has lots of juvenile snowflakes, snow onyx and some others. The pair in my avatar is from the same guy. I also got a pair of extreme snow onyx from him for what I'd pay for a single fish. The front two bars completly touch and take up a large percent of the body bringing it up to class A or in the case of the snow onyx classification it is called extreme.

I'll take your word for it Illu, he's now a Picasso. I think I'll name him Don Quixote after Picasso's sketch for the work.

I'm also gonna upload a video so you can get a real good look at his patterns.

Deleted User 4

Yeah it's a semi-picasso. I'm 100% sure it is. I've been looking at designer clowns for 4 yrs + lol. There's no way I'm mistaken ever when it comes to identifying snowflakes/picassos (they're the main basic designers). I've seen much more complicated ones (dalmatians, etc)

Yours is good though. I've seen much worse semi-picassos. Yours isn't bad at all. Just let it mature, it will gain a lot of black, most likely completely black and white only on the body area.

And I can guarantee you that your semi-picasso isn't done yet with those patterns. Those patterns are going change a bit when it matures especially that last 3rd stripe. It's going to get bigger.

PS. The 2nd clown is a misbar though. Not a semi-picasso.

Oh I know what the occy is, I bought her just because of the misbars.

So the 3rd stripe will get bigger? That's a bummer, I really like it how it is right now.

It'll be awesoooooome if these two spawn once they grow up.

Thanks for the help on it.

You now have 11,000 posts.

Deleted User 4

Oh I know what the occy is, I bought her just because of the misbars.

So the 3rd stripe will get bigger? That's a bummer, I really like it how it is right now.

It'll be awesoooooome if these two spawn once they grow up.

Thanks for the help on it.

You now have 11,000 posts.

Yeah ahah. Well to be more clear, the last 3rd stripe will only get slightly bigger and more defined is what I mean. You will see. The white will be more clear instead of a smirk kinda. The 2nd stripe will become more clean white and defined as well.

Thanks yeah I just saw my post count lol.

Yeah it's a semi-picasso. I'm 100% sure it is. I've been looking at designer clowns for 4 yrs + lol. There's no way I'm mistaken ever when it comes to identifying snowflakes/picassos (they're the main basic designers). I've seen much more complicated ones (dalmatians, etc)

Yours is good though. I've seen much worse semi-picassos. Yours isn't bad at all. Just let it mature, it will gain a lot of black, most likely completely black and white only on the body area.

And I can guarantee you that your semi-picasso isn't done yet with those patterns. Those patterns are going change a bit when it matures especially that last 3rd stripe. It's going to get bigger.

PS. The 2nd clown is a misbar though. Not a semi-picasso.

okay time to hijack.. wtf are mine? Were sold as black ice but they are turning like.. all black. Can black ice be all black or does that make them blacker ice and miss-labeled? At least the female is turning all black...

Male

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0018_zpsee31874b.jpg.html'>DSC_0018_zpsee31874b.jpg

Pair

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0024_zps86b90ad4.jpg.html'>DSC_0024_zps86b90ad4.jpg

Female, almost all black:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0639_zpsa57cc963.jpg.html'>DSC_0639_zpsa57cc963.jpg

When I first got them:

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/DSC_0248_zpsf3234597.jpg.html'>DSC_0248_zpsf3234597.jpg

Pics suck but basically female is all black except her face and the male fins are pitch black no orange but his body still has some orange-black.

Deleted User 4

okay time to hijack.. wtf are mine? Were sold as black ice but they are turning like.. all black. Can black ice be all black or does that make them blacker ice and miss-labeled? At least the female is turning all black...

Male

DSC_0018_zpsee31874b.jpg

Pair

DSC_0024_zps86b90ad4.jpg

Female, almost all black:

DSC_0639_zpsa57cc963.jpg

When I first got them:

DSC_0248_zpsf3234597.jpg

Pics suck but basically female is all black except her face and the male fins are pitch black no orange but his body still has some orange-black.

Lololol!! You got black phantoms. They're considered black snowflakes. Not black ice.....black ice isn't suppose to be all black on the body...black ice is suppose to be a blend mixed with black and orange.

Lololol!! You got black phantoms. They're considered black snowflakes. Not black ice.....black ice isn't suppose to be all black on the body...black ice is suppose to be a blend mixed with black and orange.

Black phamtoms = blacker ice = black snowflakes? right? Like a black ice bred with a black and white clown? They have too many names for the same clown.

???

Blacker ice

IMG_1310.jpg

http://alphaaquaculture.com/store/index.php/fish/clown-fish/proaquatix/blackerice/pro-blackerice-1.html

Black Phantom

img_9000_1.jpg

http://alphaaquaculture.com/store/index.php/sea-phantom-3.html

Black snowflake:

img_9600_1.jpg

http://alphaaquaculture.com/store/index.php/fish/clown-fish/proaquatix/blackerice/pro-blacksnowflake-1.html#

They look like the same damn thing to me all being sold by Alpha Aquaculture. Confusing...

Deleted User 4

Here's an example of black ice.

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/b3ndaball3r/media/l_zps203ba79f.jpg.html'>l_zps203ba79f.jpg

Kinda like sunset pattern blend on the body.

Black phamtoms = blacker ice = black snowflakes? right? Like a black ice bred with a black and white clown?

That I can't be so sure. I just know for the fact that yours isn't black ice, but close to it. Have you seen black phantoms?? They're completely black. From your actinic pictures, they look pretty darn black. But when you 1st got them, they look like black ice....soo I can't be so sure from your pictures...because your original pictures aren't actinics.

Black phamtoms = blacker ice = black snowflakes? right? Like a black ice bred with a black and white clown? They have too many names for the same clown.

???

IMG_1310.jpg

Oh and I also forgot to mention....your snowflakes are considered premium snowflakes because the middle stripe is very thick, double the size of a regular snowflake's 2nd stripe. More pricey it is.

Here's an example of black ice.

l_zps203ba79f.jpg

Kinda like sunset pattern blend on the body.

That I can't be so sure. I just know for the fact that yours isn't black ice, but close to it. Have you seen black phantoms?? They're completely black. From your actinic pictures, they look pretty darn black. But when you 1st got them, they look like black ice....soo I can't be so sure from your pictures...because your original pictures aren't actinics.

Oh and I also forgot to mention....your snowflakes are considered premium snowflakes because the middle stripe is very thick, double the size of a regular snowflake's 2nd stripe. More pricey it is.

I edited the post above with pics of 3 different clowns under different t names that seem to be the same thing haha.

Ya, they darkened up.. a lot since maturing but the male is still somewhat orange on his body.. maybe because hes small being the male and all. My female has grown A LOT. She is the size of my 3 yr old female occy (who lives alone).. and she grew that big in a matter of months. I guess having a 2nd clown around really makes them grow...

Actnics or no actnics she is pitch black. I will just call them... Blacker Snow Phantom Clowns :rolleyes:

Didn't know about the bars being thick meaning anything, so that's cool. I got them pretty cheap so I just bought them up not knowing exactly what they were.

Archived