Cultivated Reef

The Current Sea of Love. (retired)

MarieH

Started my 10g cycling again, I will transfer "Pinky" my citron goby there since he's cramping my tank style. I bought her a fake acropora to love ordered from ebay, so she will be move there with my xenia too. And Other softies to come. I'll buy 6 pounds or so of rock rubble this week.

2 tanks..oh well I already had the tank and lamp for it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, when you already have the equipment then why not!!! Just more to love. Cute name for your Citron.

I just found out that KP Aquatics will deliver to a border address, so I got me one in Champlain NY, about an hour drive from here. I think it will be worth it!! So thrilled. Ok MTS fever starts now.

Saw these pretty green feather duster looking things on my live rock. Been enjoying they're growth and flourescence at night. Ha Hydroids! Just smeared them over with crazy glue..so purty too. Green menace.

I moved Placido, aka. 'pink' and Mr. Big shell crab to my 10g on Friday. Threw in some caulerpa prolfiera with a few pounds of rock. They seemed to be doing ok, but I felt bad for them, kind of banished. I actually saw the goby playing with the crab yesterday. Looked like she was playing anyway, checking him out, landing on his shell, generally annoying him I think. Happy to have company?

Yesterday I went to my lfs, my favorite local Planete Mer. They had such lovely lps corals that I changed my mind about sps. I bought a short tentacle plate coral and also a purple ribbon gorgonian. Thinking I want acans too but alas needed salt and some magnavore complete so next time. I moved everyone back to the thirty gallon today. If a fish could thank me I'm sure she would, she swam away calm to her usual roosting post on top of my little chalice frag. I noticed last night the chalice did not extend tentacles, I am wondering if it was missing the goby? I will check tonight.

Love the thread. Your tank doesnt seem too complicated, and it works :) looking forward to seeing more pics of it. Cheers, from aylmer, quebec ;)

Hi Snowgirl: waiting on the white stuff. :) My tank is not too complicated and yes it works! I followed the tank of the month build July 2013 and have been having a bit of success, knock on wood. See Felicia's build in the tank of the month thread. My plan is to have not too many losses, but isn't that everyone's? Anyway, its a learning experience, and who knows, I might dream bigger in a couple years but its fun learning a I go. Welcome kaybek! One day frag trade? :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2013/flsvedlund-r74

Tank update: I got up to piddle and lo and behold, my little chalice had tentacles last night, 3 inches long! I do think the return of pink was the cause of its joy. So I fed a pinch of coral frenzy. Its a wonderful world, really.

Added 2 big green mithrax and 2 nassarius and 2 bumble bee snails cause they look pretty. Mithrax went to work and I'd say already 30 percent of green fuzz is gone. Had some valonia as well but it seems to be gone. did the w/c yesterday. I think I might be overfeeding, was a little bit of brown algae on the sand, gone today as I boosted flow a bit, changed out filter floss. Its seems cleaner, now to ignore the pleading eyes... :( harden my heart.

Fug and Lee the two mithrax are doing well. Fugly together but doing a nice job. Who said

it ain't easy being green? Kermit you may be wrong. Got timers today on sale at crappy tire. Canadian Pneu ;) One day an apex controller but I will save that cool stuff for a nice tank, my tank will have to do for now. Had some salt creep under th plastic trim so I siiconed the rim, it looks passable,

• 3 weeks later...

We will definitely have to have a Quebecer frag swap sometime! I notice that you don't have a skimmer..neither do I. Do you plan on adding any SPS? I see that you got some LPS and I haven't read enough of your thread to know whether you've added any SPS...lol. I was just going to add a monticap and a pink birds nest to mine to try out some easy SPS...but when I bought the frags of monticap and birdsnest off the hobbyist, he also threw in a pink millipora and an acro in there for free...so now I have more SPS than anticipated! oopsy..lol. What a deal for 20$!

Hi Ya, Im chilling things along now. I see many heads popping on my tiny acan and I do have a green birdnest that has grown from a about an inch to about 3 inches tall and 4 wide. Nothing seems to phase that one, although my gsp is acting weird and closing up at times. I moved it a couple times so thats probably why. My sps just keeps barreling along.

No skimmer. I am running my aquaclear 110 back on it with some gfo and some pura complete, and filter floss in some chambers I designed with the 110 media basket. My water is clear, and little algae. I change out the pura when things look a bit unclean. In general its all chilling pretty well...not sure wether to try another sps. I saw a really cool lps tank on reef central, and I really like acans. Im wating for the new year to bring it along some more. I was thinking a bubble tip, if I do I will try it before getting anymore sps or nix sps until it finds its spot. I dunno yet.

I like where the tank is at now, I can actually start calling it a reef, I have lots of micro stars, and pods, and some brittle stars and a couple of asterinas though I am watching those. Fug and Lee have molted and become monsters, so I feed them since theres nothing much to graze. Anyway, I got my tripod out last night but the actinics were on so Ill go for some shots when im off work for Christmas.

Merry Christmas Nano reefers.

My dunchan went from three heads to about a dozen, and feed it 2x a week, along with the acan and hammer an the war coral, and the little piece of hollywood stunner has fallen onto the sand so I left it until its big enough to place, but its also 2x as large as it was. So I guess its all good. Slow but good. No skimmer, I don t thiink Ièll get one, that s on the backburner for now.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of new additions. Happy New Year folks. All the watery bestest to you. (small patch of epoxy to kill a couple aipasia I noticed. IMAG1277.jpgIMAG1420-001.jpg

IMAG1419-001.jpg

SmaIMAG1421-001.jpg

The ORANGE linkia from what I gather feeds on algae film, (I read that no one really knows on what they feed) but it needs an older tank to survive. The blue linkia on the other hand is difficult. My tank has rock from the ten and I'm hoping its enough aged to keep the star happy. He seem to like to hang out under the lip of the aquaclear fllter with one leg in the flow. I think the orange linkia is one of the easier keepers from what I read. Fingers crossed.

Yes, acans are awesome. I think I might go that way. I was discouraged wen I went to my fav. lfs and they have a new frag tank for sps and many of them were looking bad, bleached and skeletons. I think I'm sticking with the lps until I'm more confident. I have 6 new heads on the small acan I picked up last november or there about.

Hi Felicia, awesome avatar, Hello firstreefer and snowgrrlll. :)

Probably going to have to rehome the starfish, sadly, I don t want it to perish. Im going to try feeding marine angelfish food that contains sponge, until I can rehome. Another hard lesson, such a beautiful creature. In my mind I thought it was an easy keeper, I should have read up first. I knew the blue linckia was difficult but for some reason my mental library told me the orange was easy, I guess I was thinking of fromia and did not see the difference. But now I read fromia is also difficult. What to do...

So I found someone with a 90g tank who will adopt my orange linckia in trade for a zoa and paly rock, so I am really happy to rehome the starfish before he declines. whew!

Tomorrow, I will hike across town, I'll put the starfish in a ziplock bag of tank water inside an empty red sea salt bucket I have on hand. Heated car seat to keep him warm. I'm happy this blooper will work out and another sea creature will have a fighting chance :)

IMAG1480.jpgsilly crab wants to be a mushroom My pretty starfish went to a beautiful 90 gallon today, what a wonderful new home, I think he/she will be very happy :)

Love that picture Marie, I love that he's looking back at ya like "What? I'm camoflaged!!

Glad to hear of that perfect ending for your star.

Archived