Cultivated Reef

Fluval spec 2 (est.8-19-13) video on pg. 4!

jjaro

eh its not much better then the stock light i have :( so i didnt get a picture..... i think im going to try and find a seller for a zetlight or a nano box. anyone know a site that sells either one? those are the ones that have caught my eye the most. with a decent price, nano box though are a little up there, but i dont mind if it will help in the long run!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so i was out at my lfs and they had a different light there that looked a little more well built then the original, its made by WavePoint, its a wierd light, but i needed something bigger for my zoas, the blue leds out number the whites, but im sure that is fine since it is a stronger light. here are some pics

IMG_1792_zpsbc49c6e0.jpg

IMG_1794_zps8f7fed29.jpg

and bought more zoas, the pics may be hard to see and ill take better ones to try and ID them, but if you can tell at all let me know what kind of zoas you think these are, i noticed about 5 to 6 different polyp color variations

IMG_1793_zps45c140b9.jpg

thesmallerthebetter

agreed, ive used that light over NPS tanks but never considered it for photosynthetic live, the emitters are tiny SMD Leds not designed for PAR output....

thank you both for the input, i will look into it, so PAR what does that stand for? and where is the best place to purchase one? this light seems to be working better then the stock light, so i hope this will be working better for them atleast til i can get this PAR bulb. does it have a whole set up like this light i currently have?

A par 30 should be fine for that size a tank. Maybe ever too much still.. Just watch how your zoas react.

I haven't the foggiest...lol it's just par to me

I would get their Vibrance model instead. The one you linked with the red LEDs is intended for macroalgae growth in a refugium. The mix of two different whites, blues and violet should hit a lot of good parts of the spectrum for both viewing and for your photosynthetic corals.

Also, let me say that I shopped around a bit before I ended up purchasing one of their par38 bulbs. The bulb quality seems excellent and Jimmy (who I spoke to) has been really helpful and a pleasure to deal with. IMO it would be a great choice in terms of cost and quality for lighting your tank.

I have a coral compulsion par 30 on my 2.5 gallon and its fantastic- I got the 20k version. PAR? I always thought it was photosynthetically active radiation - just a measure of how much of the light is able to be used by algae at various distances from the bulb. The prefix to the bulb like a PAR30, however, probably stands for parabolic anodized refector?

Nice tank, but agree on going with shrimps and crabs for this tank.... or one tiny fish, but you'll probably have more issues if you go with the fish

Well i will buy the par 30 vibrance once my bills this month are paid:

So far the wavepoint light is working pretty well and showing good signs for the zoas, i have a few more frags in there i will take pics soon!! Im buying a yellow clown goby today as well, im up for a challenge! lets see how good i am! Thank you for all thr par bulbs info i greatly appreciate it!

Got the yellow clown goby! finally after 3 weeks of waiting, i could have had one sooner, but my lfs didnt have any, and the competitor in town was selling them for 20 bucks! so i waited 3 weeks to save $12.50 for the exact same fish... hes very tiny! im glad they had him in the size he is, about the diameter of a quarter, and healthy as can be, the competitor had a mandarin we bought for another tank, but it had ick and we took him back, and rumor has it anyone that has bought fish there the past year acquired ick....any way here he is!

b7315ab7-024b-4c1f-85b6-92d37cbc52a8_zps

This is about it for my spec 2, maybe a fiji star fish since they are so tiny... but i bought a new project, a 20 gallon tall tank, picked it up, tank and stand for 40 bucks, with filter, hood/lights, heater and termometer, but im going to drill the back and have a 10 gallon sump, and get new lights..... ill keep it at that, i will start the thread in a week or so! thanks for those who watched this average tank progress!

IMG_1893_zps71dd0e2e.jpg

reefernanoman

I had bought that light for my 2.5g AGA, but returned it immediately, since it is designed for rimless tanks, at least I believe. I got a par 38 from reefbreeders instead.

Anyone have suggestions on (if they even make) a nano skimmer, like superrr tiny for this 2 gallon? ive seen diys everywhere but i want something clean i can just hide behind it. thanks!!

I had bought that light for my 2.5g AGA, but returned it immediately, since it is designed for rimless tanks, at least I believe. I got a par 38 from reefbreeders instead.

did you not like the light or what? what does rimless or rim tanks have to do with that by chance?

Anyone have suggestions on (if they even make) a nano skimmer, like superrr tiny for this 2 gallon? ive seen diys everywhere but i want something clean i can just hide behind it. thanks!!

did you not like the light or what? what does rimless or rim tanks have to do with that by chance?

I didn't like it because the mounting was cheap and did not fit even my tiny 2.5g tank, so I returned it right away without even turning it on. So yes, I tink that it's designed for rimless tanks, but it felt cheap anyways.I would not recommend it.

I didn't like it because the mounting was cheap and did not fit even my tiny 2.5g tank, so I returned it right away without even turning it on. So yes, I tink that it's designed for rimless tanks, but it felt cheap anyways.I would not recommend it.

ohhhh i see what you mean! yea it isnt like any of the expensive lights, but it works for me lol, my 2 gallon is rimless and fits perfectly. i got a good deal on a bunch of zoas so i had to get a better light then the stock right away...so i couldnt wait for shipping lol

anyway, anyone on the protein skimmers????

i have that wave point, its a great light, i know a lot of people say diffrent, but here is a vid i did of my tank yesterday, it is up to you for the light, but this is what ive been able to do with the light in 8 months, i put the light low and without a top

i have that wave point, its a great light, i know a lot of people say diffrent, but here is a vid i did of my tank yesterday, it is up to you for the light, but this is what ive been able to do with the light in 8 months, i put the light low and without a top

yea id compare the light and the par38 to sunglasses, as the par is a pair of oakleys, nice looking, but overrated and crappy made, and the wave point being the lesser known coastas which are a million times better but no one has heard of them lol. beautiful tank by the way! i havent had a problem with this wavepoint, in fact its working perfect, i just wish it had a switch XD thanks for the input everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

hello again, update, even though i said i was done with this tank lol.... i love it too much to stop, its so small i cant put much in, but i got a good deal on some star poylps, 10 bux for a good sized frag, and another small frag for free. is their a limit as to how much stuff i can put into this tank? i know 0-1 fish (in which i have a tiny yellow clown goby) , maybe a few inverts(bumble bee snail and zombie snail, and 2 tiny tiny hermit crabs, and a bali starfish), but with corals. is their a limit?? i have a big zoa frag maybe 30 or so polyps, and 6 smaller frags, maybe 5-20 polyps, and one green mushroom, and now i got those star polyps, they are decent sized, maybe 15 polyps on the small frag and up to 50 on the bigger one. is that too much in there?

and ive never heard of these zombie snails before last week, anyone else have them? they dig into the sand, and then dig their selves out when i feed the fish.... very odd considering i dont see any part of the snail sticking out of the sand, and have no idea how it senses i put food in the tank... crazy i must say... crazyy

its a super tongan nassarius snail, lol just called the fish store owner :P so you were right, good guess lol, he calls it a zombie snail for selling tactics, and that it crawls up out of the sand like the dead coming to life lol its the coolest snail ive ever owned!!

Archived