Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New to NR and New to DIY LED

discus513

Yeah that is what I'm thinking I'm going to have to do. Is there a way to test each led with a multi meter? If so if love to know how

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your getting high resistance somewhere. You've already found a bad joint. Check there aren't any more 'dry' or loose solder joints, those solder less connectors could have come loose from the PCBs or the wire or connector surface has become corroded or contaminated causing a bad connection.

jedimasterben

Yeah that is what I'm thinking I'm going to have to do. Is there a way to test each led with a multi meter? If so if love to know how

No, multimeters give so little power and voltage that they will make very few modern LEDs light up. You can take two AA batteries, put them in series, and then test with that, as it will give about 3v and make the LEDs shine pretty bright. :)

No, multimeters give so little power and voltage that they will make very few modern LEDs light up. You can take two AA batteries, put them in series, and then test with that, as it will give about 3v and make the LEDs shine pretty bright. :)

would you just tape the wires onto the ends of the batteries then touch the neg side to one side of the led and the pos side to the other?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, simple as that.

Check out my geto diode tester, 2 1.5v batteries taped together with the contacts bridged at the bottom to make 3v.

It got a bit tiresome testing 90 LEDs mind lol.

WP_20140903_002_zpslkwovolb.jpgWP_20140906_001_zpse1qonne1.jpg

Remember to connect negative to negative and all that. 3v from 2 batteries isn't going to damage diodes if you get it wrong. It's hart to tell on some diodes.

Archived