Innovative Marine Aquariums

New to NR and New to DIY LED

discus513

Okay thanks I will try them without, If I decide I need them later, it will give me a reason to make another order and maybe build a fuge light!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI this is my fuge light and I love it:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/311526-algae-turf-scrubber-ats-led-cannon-build-makersled-pics/

its over a 100g fuge so you dont need anything that powerful.

WOW! that is a really cool fuge light, I will definitely look more into that when it is time to upgrade my fuge light, maybe scaled down /5. lol! Okay I will be getting my bonus this week so I will be placing my order this week, I thought I had my mind made up, but the more and more I read maybe I need to rethink things a little, maybe Jedimasterben was right this is not near enough light for my 20g tank, Well I like the idea of running the dual inventronics drivers (25W), which say they can handle the Cree lights 10 per string, so I figure I am limited to 20 leds total, but I only have enough hardware for 12 leds on my 6'' makers heat sink, so I think some 3 ups maybe a better way to go, this is drawn up to 4 of the Cree 3ups (8 RB & 4 NW) and 1- OCW, 4-HV ( or could possibly switch to TV if you think it would be better? ) which is about the same setup that is posted as to what a 10g tank should be, so I'll still be a little bit less than needed but I think it will be a lot closer, and shouldn't have an issue with lower light corals. So what do you guys think? should I go with light A being the first one I posted or light B which is this one??????? And will the 2- 25W inventronics driver push these okay?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

WOW! that is a really cool fuge light, I will definitely look more into that when it is time to upgrade my fuge light, maybe scaled down /5. lol! Okay I will be getting my bonus this week so I will be placing my order this week, I thought I had my mind made up, but the more and more I read maybe I need to rethink things a little, maybe Jedimasterben was right this is not near enough light for my 20g tank, Well I like the idea of running the dual inventronics drivers (25W), which say they can handle the Cree lights 10 per string, so I figure I am limited to 20 leds total, but I only have enough hardware for 12 leds on my 6'' makers heat sink, so I think some 3 ups maybe a better way to go, this is drawn up to 4 of the Cree 3ups (8 RB & 4 NW) and 1- OCW, 4-HV ( or could possibly switch to TV if you think it would be better? ) which is about the same setup that is posted as to what a 10g tank should be, so I'll still be a little bit less than needed but I think it will be a lot closer, and shouldn't have an issue with lower light corals. So what do you guys think? should I go with light A being the first one I posted or light B which is this one??????? And will the 2- 25W inventronics driver push these okay?

stick with the HV

using the 3ups is a better plan, how are you going to divide the leds on the drivers?

I was thinking of doing the whites,ocw, and 2 hv on one driver and the blues and the other two hv on the other driver

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

I was thinking of doing the whites,ocw, and 2 hv on one driver and the blues and the other two hv on the other driver

so the inventronic 25w go up to 36v

each XTE is about 3.1v and HV are 3.3v and OCW are 8.6v

so that means you would need to either get the 40w drivers or mix the HV into the whites like this:

driver 1: 8 royals + 3 HV

driver 2: 4 NW + 1HV + 1 OCW

i would probably recommend getting at least 1 40w driver so you can put all the royals and violets on the same driver.

• 3 weeks later...

O just an update for everyone, I totally flipped my plans before I ordered after writing back and forth with Milad. I went with 4- Cree 3ups,2-OCW's,2-XTE RB, and 4- HP on this light, it will be pushed by the 180W power supply,Makers Driver with 700ma X2 meanwell drivers, I also opted to get the Makers Controller, this should be a pretty good light when I'm done, at least I hope so, even DIY isn't too cheap.LOL

so the inventronic 25w go up to 36v

each XTE is about 3.1v and HV are 3.3v and OCW are 8.6v

so that means you would need to either get the 40w drivers or mix the HV into the whites like this:

driver 1: 8 royals + 3 HV

driver 2: 4 NW + 1HV + 1 OCW

i would probably recommend getting at least 1 40w driver so you can put all the royals and violets on the same driver.

hey milad,I sent you an email last night.thanks!

If anyone is interested in my build progress, I can say that I have officially started Building my first LED light, here is a link to my local forum where I am posting my build up, and will update it as I go. Thanks! http://forums.care4reefs.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1551&p=11573#p11573

Also let me know if there is anything you see that I am screwing up on! LOL Id rather fix it now then mess up my light build.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

If anyone is interested in my build progress, I can say that I have officially started Building my first LED light, here is a link to my local forum where I am posting my build up, and will update it as I go. Thanks! http://forums.care4reefs.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1551&p=11573#p11573

Also let me know if there is anything you see that I am screwing up on! LOL Id rather fix it now then mess up my light build.

nice simple idea to get the makersdriver on there by cutting the fan housing!

Yeah, I will clean up the cut bit but if I wanted to have no hang over I would just have to cut a little bit off of the other side, But personally I'm not worried about a little hang over with the way the cover is made it doesn't look bad at all, and if I needed to hook up to another makers dimmer if I build a second light I just have to raise the driver up a 1/4'' and I can put the plug in the other side, which when I tested that it still looked pretty good. You may have to change your website to say 12'' or bigger heatsink for the makers dimmer, will fit on the 6'' with modification! LOL

Milad, It was a bad day for my LED light! please check out my build thread to see what I am talking about, If you see and issue please let me know, I am not sure how I burnt out 3 leds and also one of the solderless connector on the HV popped off, is there a way to fix this or do I have to buy another one? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updated my thread for my build, I finally got it right! This light is really cool, I cant wait to get all the loose ends taken care of to get this on my tank. I need to figure out how I am going to mount it now. Thanks for all the help Milad!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to my updated build thread with couple coral and FTS with the new light. So far I love this light, I dim the white channel all the way to 0% at night and run the blue/violet at 1% for moonlights and the cool thing is that once the heat sink cools down the fan doesn't run all night with the lights turned down that low, that is an awesome feature! One question Milad, should my fan be pulling air away from my heat sink or pushing air onto the heat sink? I've been checking and the fixture doesn't get hot, but just want to make sure I am right, I have it pulling air right now. Thanks for all the help Milad, I hate that you guys don't have a phone, but for not having a phone you were able to help out a bunch through email. Here is the link: http://forums.care4reefs.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1551&p=14051#p14051

• 1 year later...

Well my light has been working flawlessly until the other day, the blue/violet channel went out on me. I broke it down and noticed a connection that was a little loose, so I rewired it, it worked for a day or two then back out. I took it back apart and noticed that the channel isn't completely out, the leds are lit very dimly and the pot on the makers controller along with the controller setting is on 100%. I have tried switching the channel on the controller, I also switched the drivers thinking I may have a bad driver but neither made a difference. Any Idea on why my LED's will not fire all the way up? I'll attach a few pics.

20150715_171048_zpsovsz1nlg.jpg

20150715_171114_zpslepp6bhg.jpg

20150715_171139_zpsqcub4fky.jpg

Now that I look at the pic I took I noticed that the 4 violets are not lit up even though the blues are lit up dim, could my violets be fried? They don't look to be burnt up or anything. I appreciate any help you guys can give My corals are starting to suffer from not having enough light

jedimasterben

If you switch everything to the first channel of the Makersdriver instead of the second, does the same thing happen?

jedimasterben

Hmm. And if the 'white' channel all is working properly on those same drivers, then that elminates the power supply and makersdriver, which leaves the LEDs. Can you pop out the wire from the violets and just leave the royal blues and see if they power up to proper brightness? And then, if possible, test the violets individually and see if one of them is bad. The makersdriver can run one a single violet without a problem, so don't worry about sending too much power through just one.

Archived