inTank Media Baskets

Super excited - Ordered Nano Package from Gulf Live Rock

chicagoreef

if you want to remove the rbta aim a powerhead at it, and then it will come off the rock within like 10 minutes. Aim the powerhead toward the feet. I would do this asap

^ there ya go

You really shouldn't have been adding livestock knowing you we're going to recycle with the addition of uncured rock...

I should finish up my work - but here are some more photos. * What is this branchy thing? A gorgonian? * This worm was crawling around the inside of the box * A shot of one of the rocks in my tank
Branchy thing is SPS.

Gosh I didn't know you had fish in there. Have lots of water handy to do changes to keep the ammonia down. The rock is gorgeous.

Reef Hollister

I put GLR in my BC 14 and it was great. I just ordered a nano kit to seed my 29 build I'm working on. I would love to get a mantis hiker since I have a tank already set up for him in my son's room, assuming I can easily catch him.

That is the fun of GLR. You don't know what you will get, but I've never seen the bad outweigh the good.

Almost always good hikers from what I've seen.

Another Chicagoland Reefer! What LFS do you go to? Any you would recommend? Always looking to find new places to increase knowledge, get more opinions, and help me spend more money :)

chicagoreef

I live in Lincoln Park, so Old Town Aquarium + the Petco on Clyborun are the most convenient places to buy fish related stuff - but I've also been out to Beyond the Reef in Schaumburg, Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie, and Aquarium Adventures in Bollingbrook. This time around I'm going to try and get most everything from fellow reefers and craigslist!

Another Chicagoland Reefer! What LFS do you go to? Any you would recommend? Always looking to find new places to increase knowledge, get more opinions, and help me spend more money :)

This morning I did another test for ammonia, etc - ammonia looked about the same slightly greenish color as yesterday. Did a 15% water change and also took out each new rock and swished it rigously in the water I had taken out of the tank.

And a few more pictures taken *YESTERDAY* right after I put in the rocks. Is that a mollusk? Should I remove him?

post-79259-0-75329200-1375563807_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-85615300-1375563814_thumb.jpg

post-79259-0-37308500-1375563830_thumb.jpg

You seriously put uncured live rock into a tank with livestock?

I understand what your trying to do but your logic isn't sound. Any ammonia is really bad for inhabitants such as fish, corals, and inverts.

chicagoreef

I set up the new tank with rock and sand from my old tank along with new sand and a brs pukani that I didn't use for my first tank. The intent was to establish the tank prior to adding the uncured rock to quickly cycle the new rock. The tank had the livestock and ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites stayed at zero as I fed the inhabitants.

I read through the soft cycle thread and also checked out various threads on adding uncured rock into a cycled tank. The plan was to rinse the new rock with salt water, dose Prime, and do frequent water changes. The tank also has a skimmer, chemipure, filter floss, and chaeto to help things along. The new uncured rock cycle will take as long as it takes. I moved the fish and coral (except the gsp - though i might as well move it). There are a few snails in the main tank - i will move them too, though they seem to be exploring and eating off the new rock. The ratio of uncured to old rock was a lot more skewed than I anticipated due to the generosity of dan over at gulf live rocks.

chicagoreef

Came back home to see the "large bi-valve" had opened and rolled off the rock - um, now what? moved it off the substrate and onto a frag rack.

Help! Will he survive the cycle? Move him to my little 6 gallon edge? Give up on him and dispose of him before he prolongs the cycle? What does he eat? How to feed him? How long can he survive without food?

post-79259-0-23244300-1375669740_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if they are supposed to open like that so I am going to assume that it is dead or dying. Does it still move?

chicagoreef

James - thanks for the quick response. Yes - it looks like stuff inside is moving - but I'll go take a closer look. I have to admit, I've ate my fair share of bi-valves, but know very little about them. Well, all I know is to only cook the ones that are still closed, so since this one is fully open, its probably a bad sign!

Follow up - uh oh. He is probably dead - i will poke him a bit and if he does not react, he is provably dead.

James - thanks for the quick response. Yes - it looks like stuff inside is moving - but I'll go take a closer look. I have to admit, I've ate my fair share of bi-valves, but know very little about them. Well, all I know is to only cook the ones that are still closed, so since this one is fully open, its probably a bad sign!

Unfortunately I believe it is dead. Same thing happened to a couple of flame scallops that I owned once upon a time. The aquarium got to hot and I found them the same way as yours. Sorry to hear about this.

They are planktonic feeders and eat phytoplankton and zooplankton. Best foods for these are liquid phyto feast and reef nutrition makes several liquid foods for bi-valves, corals, and inverts.

Archived