Coral Vue Hydros

20g eelgrass bed

Nemcrazy

Hey there I wanted to show the new face of my 20g tank. Its an eelgrass tank that features a relic whiskey bottle encrusted in barnacles and kelp etc... Its a departure from the rock dominated tanks I have been turning out. Its a real refreshing coldwater tank that has a juvenile vermillion rockfish, black eyed goby, and rainbow scorpionfish. It has a sump where I put frozen water jugs to keep it cool in the warmer temps of summer. It's in my basement which keeps cool year round. And tank temps get to about 66-70 on the hottest days. So I thought a good ole fashioned seagrass biotope would work and its doing great! When I utlize the redneck chiller it drops temp to about 58 so they don't have to be warm for long. The rock fish eats HUGE pieces of food lol. Truly a pig:) here are some pics for y'all to chew on.

FTS

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1548_zpsdc4f4459.jpg.html'>IMG_1548_zpsdc4f4459.jpg

The relic whiskey bottle

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9945_zpsf6c8cf00.jpg.html'>IMG_9945_zpsf6c8cf00.jpg

Vermillion rockfish

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0318_zpse7c0de87.jpg.html'>IMG_0318_zpse7c0de87.jpg

Blackeyed goby

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5885_zps67168ce8.jpg.html'>IMG_5885_zps67168ce8.jpg

http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/Nemcrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5790_zps0329ad38.jpg.html'>IMG_5790_zps0329ad38.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The vermillion eats REALLY well and eats large chunks of meat. He aggressively attacks them too. and what really strikes me is how aware of me he is. And has quite the personality. The eel grass isn't really growing but that's fine with me right now. I'm just glad it isn't degrading. It's a fine balance of enough light and less heat considering there is no chiller.

• 2 weeks later...

awesome! I love the bottle...hm, wish I could put something like this together, but I don't have the means to with needing a chiller.

• 4 weeks later...

Alas this tank as it stands will be taken down in a day or two. The eel grass has died back. I had to lower the light level to combat heat along with the summer temps. All the livestock is doing well though. The good news is some of the livestock will be in the new 28 gallon tank along with the whiskey bottle, once I get the chiller up to

speed.

Too bad about the eel grass but at least you still have the livestock and the whiskey bottle! I look forward to following you 28 gallon build, keep us posted.

Mike

Sorry to hear of the troubles. Unfortunately, I am not entirely sure of the requirements for eel grass, since we don't have anything with similar requirements here.

Alas this tank as it stands will be taken down in a day or two. The eel grass has died back. I had to lower the light level to combat heat along with the summer temps. All the livestock is doing well though. The good news is some of the livestock will be in the new 28 gallon tank along with the whiskey bottle, once I get the chiller up to

speed.

Oh no :( I was just getting so excited about this tank. I'm glad you're going to be working on another though with most of the same livestock.

I'll be looking out for your new thread :)

I'm excited for the new build myself. I'm only breaking down this tank because I have to move and have limited room for tanks. I have 8:-) but this tank will not be as delicate do to having a chiller rather than a cool basement. It will be hooked up to a via aqua 50cc chiller. So keeping

it cold won't be an issue. It's going to be a display tank for some of my most striking Nems and fish from my lobster tank. Here is a teaser pic of the mother tank.

IMG_1237_zps6ef85d71.jpg?t=1378606432

Just a lil Coldwater eyecandy to tide you over till the move is over:)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so as promised, I moved and after talking to the roommate/landlord who is a diver, he gave me permission to add the 30 gallon to the living room. So I plumbed a 30 long into the lobster tank and created a 7' long wall of Coldwater!! The eel grass tank moved into the 30. So it has the whiskey bottle and blackett goby along with the stubby rose and moonglow anemones. It has a sandy substrate with rocks scattered throughout. And a colony of corynactis to boot:) I

also added a one spot fringehead and garibaldi

damsel. This tank has a decidedly California feel to it. So I will be calling it my mission beach bio-tope, in honor of my surfing days in San Diego:)

I'm thinking of adding a monolith of plumous anemones to the left corner of the tank and a bloodstar or two. I figured since it was my lobster tanks I year birthday today it would be a nice present!

IMG_5362_zps1ea7e07f.jpg?t=1380704112

IMG_3823_zps08ad9d60.jpg?t=1380704118

Ok so as promised, I moved and after talking to the roommate/landlord who is a diver, he gave me permission to add the 30 gallon to the living room. So I plumbed a 30 long into the lobster tank and created a 7' long wall of Coldwater!! The eel grass tank moved into the 30. So it has the whiskey bottle and blackett goby along with the stubby rose and moonglow anemones. It has a sandy substrate with rocks scattered throughout. And a colony of corynactis to boot:) I

also added a one spot fringehead and garibaldi

damsel. This tank has a decidedly California feel to it. So I will be calling it my mission beach bio-tope, in honor of my surfing days in San Diego:)

I'm thinking of adding a monolith of plumous anemones to the left corner of the tank and a bloodstar or two. I figured since it was my lobster tanks I year birthday today it would be a nice present!

Okay, now your talkin'!

It's a one spot fringehead. There is also a baby California sea cucumber in there:) and since the video I added a pink stubby rose and a large rock that is studded with a ton of orange, peach white and brown plumous anemones! I pulled them from the lobster tank:)

Here is a video update of this tank. It sits at 61-68 due to the fact that there isn't a chiller and all the livestock are either extreme intertidal or species that can enjoy higher temperate temps.

My plan to connect the lobster tank isn't going

to work due to the flange on the inside rim.

So I may see how this works out. This video shows how much clearer the tank is just a day or two latter. And the one spot fringehead comes out to eat:)

Archived