ReefCleaners.org

Help with macros in a pico.

ExSmoker

can anyine suggest what colorful & helpful macros I can add to a new pico tank? the whole tank is 6x6x8" in size and I would like to add some macros that are helpful for water quality and colorful in general. I need something that will not overgrow the rocks or tank too quickly.

Please help suggest and possably where I can find some? maybe people are willing to ship some to Canada?

can anyine suggest what colorful & helpful macros I can add to a new pico tank? the whole tank is 6x6x8" in size and I would like to add some macros that are helpful for water quality and colorful in general. I need something that will not overgrow the rocks or tank too quickly.

Please help suggest and possably where I can find some? maybe people are willing to ship some to Canada?

There is red, blue and green, these colors are the ones that are more easily available. There are others but are hard to come by or just don't do well.

Anything that is yellow I haven't seen anyone keep succesfully.

What colors are you looking for? I might be able to get you some for cheap.

Red or Green gracilaria is always a good choice.

Halimeda is calcerous and vibrant

Halimenia or dragons breath is pretty but also can get fluffy unless you put a really small bit of it

Flame algae or bryothamnion is a slow growing red macro, it is stiff and retains its shape.

Any caulerpa species will grow fast and can take over a small tank if not pruned to stay away from that species.

Blue ochtodes are a good macro but they grow in a little clump/bush.

Thanks a TON everyone, I will work hard at finding at least 2-3 of these macros. I would only need quarter sized peices to start with :)

To follow my tanks progress find my thread called |Pico~Arium| Tank got wet today ;)

I just saw this, so I'm a bit late, however, REALLY nice-looking calcareous macro that keeps to itself is pink Galuxaura. It would be perfect for a pico.

IME, most of the reds are slower-growing than the greens, altho we've kept Caulerpa serrulata (razor Caulerpa) in a pico with no trouble. C. cupressoides might also fit the bill.

If you can find some Neomeris annulata (caterpillar algae) that would also be interesting.

For reds, you might try Botryocladia (red grape) or Halymenia (already mentioned). Reds tend to like it a bit more dim for them to hold their color and not go brown.

Pink Galuxaura:

galaxy1.jpg

Botryocladia:

redgrape.jpg

Neomeris:

catepillar.jpg

Does ANYONE have any of these Macros avalable to sell and ship to Canada? Or know where to buy some thats already here?

Thanks for posting this, nice looking macros.

I just saw this, so I'm a bit late, however, REALLY nice-looking calcareous macro that keeps to itself is pink Galaxia. It would be perfect for a pico.

IME, most of the reds are slower-growing than the greens, altho we've kept Caulerpa serrulata (razor Caulerpa) in a pico with no trouble. C. cupressoides might also fit the bill.

If you can find some Neomeris annulata (caterpillar algae) that would also be interesting.

For reds, you might try Botryocladia (red grape) or Halymenia (already mentioned). Reds tend to like it a bit more dim for them to hold their color and not go brown.

Pink Galaxia:

galaxy1.jpg

Botryocladia:

redgrape.jpg

Neomeris:

catepillar.jpg

Does ANYONE have any of these Macros avalable to sell and ship to Canada? Or know where to buy some thats already here?

Thanks for posting this, nice looking macros.

Let me ask a Canadian guy on our site...I know he runs live macro, but may have gotten it from one of his visits to the U.S.

Thank you, Thank you :)

Let me ask a Canadian guy on our site...I know he runs live macro, but may have gotten it from one of his visits to the U.S.

IIRC pink galaxia is really hard to find.

John Maloney (Reef Cleaners) has pink Galaxy right now, according to his website. We got ours from John a few years ago. He also curently has C. cupressoides (cactus Caulerpa), which looks nice and is a slow-grower.

It's important not to fall into the "all Caulerpa is bad and will take over your tank" old wives' tale. Some will, but many are fine. That being said, the super fast growers have the advantage of allowing you to prune them often, thus removing nutrients from your system more quickly.

Yup & Thanks, its PITA to get nice looking display macro around here. I also dont drive, so I would drive 3hrs away to pick some up otherwise.

ExSmoker didn't know you were in Canada. Hope you find some.

Replied!

You have PM...

Thanks, Just sent an email to Mr Maloney (Reef Cleaners) now lets hope :)

John Maloney (Reef Cleaners) has pink Galaxy right now, according to his website. We got ours from John a few years ago. He also curently has C. cupressoides (cactus Caulerpa), which looks nice and is a slow-grower.

It's important not to fall into the "all Caulerpa is bad and will take over your tank" old wives' tale. Some will, but many are fine. That being said, the super fast growers have the advantage of allowing you to prune them often, thus removing nutrients from your system more quickly.

well Reef Cleaners said they are unable to ship to canada, they tried before and everything died due to shipping delays and tons of paper work, basicly out of their controll. O well...

well Reef Cleaners said they are unable to ship to canada, they tried before and everything died due to shipping delays and tons of paper work, basicly out of their controll. O well...

Do you have a friend that might be driving down to the US?

Nope, only person I know in the US is not willing to ship anything, since she is not a reefer.

Do you have a friend that might be driving down to the US?

I can gey stuff around here, however they want up to $30 per peice and each peice is larger then my whole tank lol would cost about $80 with shipping to get 3 macros listed above. then I would have to sell or give away what does not fit inside the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gracilaria hayi and dragon's breath in my pico. I like the hayi much better because it holds a form and the coloring is more intense than dragon's breath in my tank.

Best bet is to try and find others in Canada that can ship you some. I'm not a big fan of dealing with shipping live things across international borders.

Red titan I never got to work in any of my tanks, but dragons breath, blue fuchea, and pink gracilaria all did really well in my pico. Red titan does good for a few months then it just starts to melt. This happened to me multiple times in multiple tanks idk why.

Awwww no... This is my only macro. That would suck if it melted.

Red titan I never got to work in any of my tanks, but dragons breath, blue fuchea, and pink gracilaria all did really well in my pico. Red titan does good for a few months then it just starts to melt. This happened to me multiple times in multiple tanks idk why.

Reef Hollister

Try these guys. Well run operation and I've always got good quality stuff:

http://live-plants.com/

I really like the Red Grape Caulpera. It is really nice.

I agree whole-heartedly with Kat's statement "Flame algae or bryothamnion is a slow growing red macro, it is stiff and retains its shape." I've got some and it looks really nice. Good shape to it. Plus, your other critters will leave it alone. I wouldn't recommend Caulpera Racemosa. Pretty, but grows exponentially. Be prepared to prune often

Archived