ReefCleaners.org

One of my new rics

Perpetual98

Originally posted by Reefer_Buddha

maannnn *jealous* Frag pleez!

took the words outta my mouth, right when i was about to click submit i erased that. you beat my to the punch!

Reefer_Buddha

rics are easy to frag just lay it flat on your fingers and cut it into 4's. Actually shows you how on Garf.org. I had a ric on a rock and i just pulled it off. The pieces that were torn off the rock are now 2 little rics. Those things are tough.

It looks like quite the opposite. That coral has bleached due to lack of light. It was then placed in high lighting where it first regenerated reflecting pigment as not to burn to death. This is a commonly seen method of selling corals that is very unethical.

Wally, you think that it might be a dyed ric, and it well could be, but GARF refers to NEON GREEN RICS as "one of most hardy and fastest growing Ricordia"... hopefully this is a neon green ric!

It could be, I don't think they come out of the ocean like that, but I haven't seen alot of things, so its possible. The reason I said it might be dyed is because of its ultra bright color throughout the whole ric, alot of rics consist of more than one color and when a coral is dyed, it can only completely be one color. Its also on the same rock with a "pale green" I think, so it might be the same pale green?

I think acoustic's answer is more correct. I've heard of corals being bleached, its easier than dying I think and placed in high light as acoustic said. I think that flouresant yellow color is a product of bleaching, but Ric's that color may exist. Give it a few months and see if the color stays, if so then thats a great find!

The neon green rics on garf, look like a healthy neon green. Different look then this specimen, but maybe perpetual took a shot with only actinics?

Perpetual98

I've got 130W of PC above my 20L with 50/50 bulbs in it. I didn't modify the picture besides resizing it so I could post it. I'll keep an eye on it, but it's been that way for a week so far. So far, so good.

FishingInMyNano

I agree with acoustic, the ric looks like it needs some TLC.

Just give the ric some time to acclimate to your lighting, and hell be fine;)

Originally posted by wallywaltt

The neon green rics on garf, look like a healthy neon green.  

Wally... can you please describe for me the difference between healthy and non-healthy neon-green for future reference? Thanks.

sure thing, the one Perpetual posted looks more yellow and transparent (not natural), while the ones on garf look GREEN. Do a side by side comparison. Thats just IMO.

I don't know, this LFS around here will try and sell stuff that are unusual colors, and if I notice one of these that hasn't been sold in awhile, it usually changes its color, or looks very unhealthy. I have seen corals that look the same color as perpetuals color do this (but I havent seen any rics bleached or dyed and is why i asked if you can dye rics earlier).

Archived