inTank Media Baskets

Newb_reefer1's 50g starfire rimless cube sps reef build

Newb_reefer1

Newb_reefer1

FTS !! The diatoms are completely gone now and the water looks very clear, looks like the cycle is ending :D will test tomorrow to see what I at, but here's the tank

2niiZYb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Newb_reefer1

Yay finally the tank is cycled !!! :) just checked all the params right now and they are all reading 0 ppm. so excited, if only the group buy for the wp25 would come sooner I need more flow if I am to put sps in my tank.... However I will be definitely picking up some type of fish this weekend !! Not sure if I'm going to get a tang or some green chromis or some type of anthias

Newb_reefer1

The guy I bought the tank from finally got around to giving me the pump for the ATO and I just got it set up :D it works so awesome I can't believe I've never used these on any previous tank it's so helpful ! And also my wp25 has arrived and I'm going to pick it up in the next few days. And since my levels are where they need to be Ill finally have good flow in my tank it's time to start stocking it !
Full sump shot with ATO installed and curve 7 pulling out some awesome gunk

ZdU3BaP.jpg

I've finally got flow in the tank !! My wp25 came in today, and I'm buying another within the next few hours :) now that I have flow and a cycled tank it's time to get me some sps

nvZVdu8.jpg

Post pics with the powerhead in there!

Ask and you shall receive haha, it's kinda hard to get a good picture of the wave action the pump makes. Ill have to take a video or something and see if I can upload it, but here's a pic of the top of the tank to give you and idea of the water these pumps can move !

IZX0f06.jpg

Best pic I could get of the wave action in the tank, the waves are about an inch in height from the crest of the wave to the bottom, and the waves are constant throughout the tank it's awesome !

AHImTO1.jpg

First coral update !! Got a cool sps frag pack from a local reefer for an awesome price !! Finally something to look at in the tank :D

Here's some pics of the pack

Blue tipped acro :

9eOtFtJ.jpg

Deep water turaki :

eYRxBHK.jpg

Green slimmer :

qLYXFol.jpg

Forest fire digi, purple birdsnest, red monty cap

sLp3pw5.jpg

Wow going right after those SPS... have you tested Cal alk and mag yet? Alk is going to be very important to keeping those guy alive:-)

Also are you dipping your new corals?

Wow going right after those SPS... have you tested Cal alk and mag yet? Alk is going to be very important to keeping those guy alive:-)

Also are you dipping your new corals?

Yes I am, one does not simply not test haha. Corals were drip acclimated for an hour and a half and I dipped them in coral revive and into the tank they went :)

Cool.... what about fish whats the plan?

To be honest I'm not sure. I have an expensive taste and have been eyeing some nice wrasses, Hawaiian flame or golden romboildalis or maybe even both. then I want to get a trio of either anthias or chromis. From there I also want a tang but I'm not sure what kind yet, leaning towards yellow tang or yellow belly blue tang. And I think that would be it, maybe a designer clown pair but I doubt it

watch out for the chromis, I got a group of 6 and they slow assassinated on another until there was 2 left. Also remember they want to be fed constantly.

Looks like I'm going with the anthias trio, I shall have no assassinations ! Anyone know what's up with my blue tipped acro, I'm thinking that the area that's bleaching is because its in direct contact with the glue. The guy who mounted it put the frag sideways and just poured glue all over the spot that touches the plug, and that's where the problem area is.... All my params are in check, but I don't have a phosphate test kit so I'm not sure what that is reading, but I run HC GFO in my reactor so it can't be much if any in the water.

Blue tipped acro :

LVPlnOr.jpg

Green slimmer giving me awesome color and good PE !

yt8oFf0.jpghlaED9i.jpg

Deep water turaki starting to color up nicely

T8zxNDf.jpg

Purple birdsnest not completely colored up but polyps are looking healthy

IqhsBx6.jpg

Green birdsnest looking great ! Good color polyps look healthy

CU2y0Hi.jpg

Cool coral :D Does the blue tip have polyps? Also was it this way when you got it?

Ya they are green, it looked kinda like that a little more bleached now, pretty sure it's just from contact with the glue

That crab is a sally lightfoot, and a large one at that. Keep an eye on this crab as it can and will pick on corals and possibly catch and kill fish while they sleep. When I first started in the hobby, I owned one that grew rather large. It destroyed colonies of zooanthids and clove polyps, and caught and killed a firefish in its bolt hole.

Sally lightfoot crabs are very interesting and eye catching, but they will cause you frustration.This is just my opinion and experience but I am sure others would agree.

Looks more like a Purple Shore Crab to me but hard to tell.

watch out for the chromis, I got a group of 6 and they slow assassinated on another until there was 2 left. Also remember they want to be fed constantly.

Crazy. My solo Green Chromis is the most peaceful fish in my tank. Maybe I got a wuss?

Looks more like a Purple Shore Crab to me but hard to tell.

Crazy. My solo Green Chromis is the most peaceful fish in my tank. Maybe I got a wuss?

Hes a wuss because he is solo and not in a school.

Hes a wuss because he is solo and not in a school.

what i was just thinking hah. so back on the blue acro what could possibly be happening if its not from the glue ? not enough light acclimation or too much light ?

Archived